"B" mania | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"B" mania

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Apr 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Not only that but because of the extra frame bracing and the removal of all that steel over you head I bet the center of gravity is lower for a spider. And yea, I was going to mention that spiders have AC too. More than once on a really hot day we cruse top down, AC on.

2. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    #27 salbrech, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    ❤️ (because of 100% sexy body lines):

GTB

GTS (with targa top in body colour installed)

Spider (with top down with the top cover in the "right" colour)

<❤️ (because of <100% sexy body lines):

GTS (with targa top NOT installed; in the eyes of someone who knows about mechanical rigidity, this version just looks wrong to me)

GTS (with targa top installed, but NOT in body colour, reason as above)

Spider (with top up)

Spider (with top down with the top cover in "wrong" cover)

3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I love how my spider looks with the top up or down, it's like having 2 different cars to me. With the roof up, I love the contrasting color of the black rag top against the grigio titanio body color. With the roof down the car has this low and sleek aggressive look that I love.

Was driving my Boxster a few weeks ago and came across a guy with the same year/color Cayman. I was surprised at how different the Boxster looks with the contrasting black rag top as compared to the solid color of the Cayman. Similar to the 355, I prefer the open top of the Boxster. I found the Cayman to have "too much color" for me, no contrast of the top so the car looked less interesting to my eyes.

Whatever your fancy, these are great problems to have. ;)

Robb and Yassa like this.
  4. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Being a spyder Guy, I live for overpasses & tunnels, and there are lots of those out my way. That noise with Tubis & test pipes greatly enhances every drive. I smile a lot while driving.

Robb likes this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #30 johnk..., Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    I went to Home Depot yesterday and when I pulled in in the Cayman dammed if there wasn't a white Boxster with blue top and blue interior. Had me shaking my head. But event though it hit 60* today, with the wind it wasn't top down weather so I enjoyed the Cayman on our drive today.

And the 355 will be out of storage soon for top down days.

Robb likes this.
  6. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I’m a coupe man, and my GTS is cool but even though some consider that the spider looks hideous from the side with the top up, from every other angle, and with the top down, it is the best looking IMHO.
    I agree with others here that sun in the face and direct heat from the sun is very uncomfortable. But on those days, and nights that are suitable, there is nothing like a spider. IMO, the spider is even a cooler car from inside with the top up. It just has that ” je ne say quoix” about it. The B is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful cars ever made IMO, but the 355/348 spider takes the experience to another level.

7. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I currently have a Spider and had a Berlinetta for 2 years previously. It’s a grass is greener thing for me. When I had the Berlinetta I wanted a Spider and vice versa. The solution is obvious, one of each.

I don't really notice that I can hear the exhaust much better in the Spider. My Spider has high flow cats and a Capristo. The Berlinetta had high flow cats and a Novoulari muffler. I believe the Berlinetta’s bypass valve was wired open because it was LOUD all the time. A 15 minute drive would make your ears ring. I recently installed the Capristo bypass and remote in my Spider. That makes all the difference. Open that valve and the car screams even at only 4K rpm. Close it and you can actually carry on a conversation with your wife. It’s not louder than my Berlinetta but does sound better. In downtown Houston Friday someone on a sidewalk yelled to me “God**** son, rev that thing for us at the next stoplight.”

Yassa likes this.
  8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I have to drive my spider with the top up for a good portion of the fall and spring. It's fine.

There is simply nothing better than the day you get to lower the top for the first time of the season.

The B has some serious body lines, no doubt. But if you drive your car instead of looking at it, having the top down is a no brainer for me.

The GTS is my weakness. Just not sure yet...but....

9. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I have a '69 Alfa Spider, and an '87 Carrera coupe. The 348ts targa is the best of both worlds to me. Unlike Porsche, Ferrari's targa has an identical silhouette to the hardtop version. Unless you're a hardcore track junkie, or love to drive in the rain, I see no reason to choose the hardtop over the targa.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    In some places, if one expected to drive only on non-rainy days, and still works for a living, they'd never get it out of the garage. So "like to drive in the rain" has little to do with it, just necessity instead.

Hopefully you're waaay east of Seattle and don't have that problem. ;)

11. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Is your Ferrari your daily driver? Impressed if it is!

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And let it sit in the Florida sun for 8+ hours a day? No, I have more respect for it than that.

Question, why would you be impressed if someone used an old Ferrari as a daily driver nowadays?

13. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I'm waaaaay east of seattle. I usually get my cars out just after memorial day, only on nice days. I work alot, so I have to pick the days. But by fall, I'm happy with the amount of "playtime":)

14. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Besides the obvious reasons of not taking an exotic car in to work every day (Never mind that it costs less than a fully loaded Toyota Sienna minivan), it would just be exhausting for me. When I'm done with the day of work, the last thing I wanna do is drop down into a high strung a sports car that needs to be warmed up before I took off, skipping second gear until it's ready, etc. etc. Most of the time I just want to get home comfortably, without drama or attention.

Back to the topic, today is a beautiful sunny day (slightly east of Seattle), still cool in the 50s, so I have the targa top off and the heater on low while I run my errands.

15. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The mid engined GTS is a great compromise, (and is actually a modern spider), but not without its inconveniences. They don’t even make spiders like they used to anymore and that’s another reason why the 355 spider is so special. I am a total car guy and as I said, I am a core coupe man but I keep myself in good shape and I love the outdoors, so when I hit the beach or my special haunts in the city etc... the spider has “the crazy carefree youth” lifestyle feel to it. Hard to articulate, but my spider is a great “life feel machine”.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I get where you are coming from when you say a GTS is a modern spider, but no. A GTS is not a modern spider. Sure a modern hard top spider resembles a GTS but it is still a true spider. You do have what look like the B pillars behind the driver's and passengers seats, but there is no obstruction of steel between them or over the top. Just basically aerodynamically faired roll bars. But I do agree with "the crazy carefree youth" lifestyle feel. That's why us old dudes who never grew up drive spiders. Let the sun shine in!! :)

As you can see below, the 488 spider is nothing like a GTS. It's a spider, pure and simple. Nothing like what a GTB with removable roof panel would be.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    GTS the only way to go. :) Really dislike the Spiders, and now nothing modern is like the GTS. I really dislike the 458/488 Spiders with their little pump fake buttresses. And I never liked the 348/355 Spiders. They look—-well, cut. Not natural. Like some aftermarket hack job. I’m sure they drive nice though, and sound good, but no thanks. I’ll stick to my targa tops.

Anyway...

18. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    John, The Old Dude comment unfortunately applies to me know to LOL.

Though, if you are in a modern drop top as you can see depicted with the great shot of the 488 above, if he looks over his right shoulder, he cant see anything but a big fat buttress.,

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - when are you selling the Cayman S? ;)

20. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Truer words have not been spoken.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. The beauty is that we all win, as there is a variant for all of us!

Yassa likes this.
  22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Make me an offer. :)

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Look over your right shoulder? You still turn your heard that far? That's what they make back up cameras for. :)

Near thing about the Cayman. When you put it in reverse the right side mirror tilts down so you can see the curb when parallel parking.

24. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Sorry buddy, you couldn't give me a P-car :)

Ferrari :cool:

25. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Meh.

I just read on some website (lost the link) that the berlinetta's generate more engine heat and that causes timing belt failure sooner than a spider variant.

:)