How to deal with out of state dealership who lie about the car condition? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to deal with out of state dealership who lie about the car condition?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by SAU KWENG TAN, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Attached on another reply

2. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Well, i have all the email thread from the sales executive promising the car condition is new and etc. No point for me to lie. I like this car and I want this car but just bothering me mentally that its not in the condition that was promised!

I am trying to chalk it up. I figure nothing much I can do since I do not have the deep pocket to hire lawyer. Just hope dealer is honest and will at least fix those and compensate something!

Island Time likes this.
  3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    you sound like you're right to be upset, the problem isn't you, the problem is the US legal system is an absolute joke. You're going to waste time and money trying to sue and its going to get you nowhere bc cars are sold as is and whatever they told you on the phone, unless its in writing, it means nothing. This is why I was saying its just one you gotta chalk up as a loss. I would rather lose $30,000 than ever have to waste 2 seconds of my life talking to an attorney or taking a well capitalized dealer to court. You sound like a nice guy and mean well, the problem is these dealers and attorneys are scumbags and every little thing you do better be in writing, if it is, then they'll take care of it.

I bought my 575 and it included a major service in november and changing all fluids, it was in writing, got home 150 miles away and 6th gear was making a noise and it was burned up. The technician found it was short on gear oil and bc it was in writing that my car was supposed to have all new fluids, there wasn't much the dealer could say, he took my car back and did a very very very expensive 5 week repair on my 6th gear.

peteficarra likes this.
  4. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    Everyone has a different definition of condition, the only one that matters is yours.
    It’s worth paying for an inspection or viewing in person. You really can’t lose. If it’s a rat you get off free with only the cost of the inspection and if it’s great you win because you got a great car.
    If it’s not important enough to verify pre purchase you are kind of agreeing/trusting the dealers definition of “new condition”. You also differed from the dealer on his definition of swirl marks. You also didn’t get a clear picture of “full clear bra” because the dealers definition differed from yours. Next time you should buy on your opinion. You need to focus on one car, the sales person needs to move many many cars.
    The dealer may know nothing about cars or condition but he delivered on his opinions. Certainly still a good car but next time you should not ask the guy selling you something what the condition is. Find someone with no vested interest in the sale. I’m no fan of Dealers because they know how to patch, clean or hide stuff that would reveal the true history.

Zcobra1 likes this.
  5. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I totally agree definition can be differed by individual. That’s why I always double check. However when his reply was it’s New Car Condition, No Scratches, and No other imperfections besides the 2 dings, I think that’s very clear!

6. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Is this now Rennlist?
    Why is this being discussed here?

Shark01, Lusso123 and energy88 like this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Are those pics all you are disputing?

Take them to a good body shop who will be able to sort those out, and move on. Far cheaper than any legal challenge that you may or may not win and may or may not get compensation.

Next time don’t buy sight unseen; don’t trust a dealer; buy a Ferrari instead of a porker so you might get a bit more interest on fchat!

Nuvolari, Zcobra1, Lusso123 and 3 others like this.
  9. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Been there, done that. I was young and dumb. Bought a car off fleabay from a big consignor of classics/exotics back in 04/05 (extremely famous wrestling star used to drive the car, all the hype right), just a couple spots on the hood to be addressed... so just needed the hood re-sprayed for a few hundred bucks. Had the car shipped across the country. Several months (and several grand $) later and a complete strip down / re-spray of the car, I had it back. Oh and had to have the trans rebuilt, and a ton of other things. Ended up spending more on fixing the issues than I paid for it in the first place.

My advice - Take it to a very good body shop (not just any... find one with high end cars and classics, trust me guys find the great body shops ask around). When I had my car redone, the shop had a long waiting list and noticed several Aston's, Porsche's, etc.. and a split window Corvette in the shop when I was getting my estimates. Made the right choice.

Have it done, get it done right and enjoy the car. Life is too short to let it get to you.

SAU KWENG TAN likes this.
  10. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    The paint chip dot is located just above the windshield on the driver side.

Bunch of small paint chips/scratches are located next to the door area. I am not sure what the parts name call so here is the photo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I am disputing dealer did not disclose the imperfection and trying to
    Oh. I am not aware what was Rennlist prior to this. I will post there to get opinion there as well. Thank you.

12. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Perhaps I was over paranoid. So far the sales executive has been responsive and I also sent him video and I am promised the manager will contact me tomorrow upon his return to office. Cross my finger.

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    $30k off of $170k msrp for a 4000-mike used non-GT3 Porsche doesn’t sound like a deal at all to me (even without the paint blemishes).

That’s only 18% off sticker for a used car...

14. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Get the paint fixed, full clear bra, send them the bill. If they balk, get a cheap lawyer to send bill under attorney letter. Last car I bought was brand new, out of State, 8 miles. I hired a local to car inspector to do a inspection of vehicle, pics, write up,
    for $135.00.

Lesson for future, get a inspection done on a new, or near new car, no matter who is selling it. Does not need to be a full blown ppi for big bucks initially, but you need eyes on the ground no matter what.
    You also could of posted on Rennlist for a local P fanatic to check car for you, many will help you with that, and it's freeeee.....
    Well at least send then a token gift card for the help....

Anyhow, good luck on a resolution.

15. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    :(:(:(:(. dumb. Should have got the 2018 GT3 manual and pay the $10,000 over sticker. Oh well, I was too cheapo to pay over sticker!

GaryR likes this.
  16. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    To be honest I thought after all your postings that these were your dad’s cars. Since I got that wrong I at least owe an honest answer for this issue...

Some people will sweat about how good of a deal they got. Some people will drive the car and get more paint chips on it.

Of course your opinion of new condition and the seller’s opinion of new condition differ. It’s a used car.

For the price it would take for me to do a demand letter and take two phone calls from the dealer’s lawyer, you can fix the paint chips.

That’s my two cents. Forget how much you paid for the car and whether it’s a good deal. Fix the chips if they bug you.

Then go make more paint chips on epic road trips. Track days. Fun long weekends away with a cute girl to a nice winery or bed and breakfast. (With some nice leather soft luggage for the car).

Instead of all the negative energy to “make it right” against the seller, use the car as you intended when you bought it.

And when you chip up the front on the long gravel drive up to the cute hotel on the mountain top.... well... those are fun paint chips. Leave them.

Island Time, Jedi, Jaguar36 and 3 others like this.
  17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    May want to rethink that. If you think these guys are tough, the RENNlist folks will be merciless. Nor of the defects look too bad. Time to move on and enjoy your new car.

18. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    IMO - I have had to assess and cost damage in relation to disputed claims.
    Just quantify the dealer ad vs the actual damage to the car. Cost it up. Email them the option to cash settle you in the damage. Forget the rest demo/new etc etc.

Fix the car up, move on.

OR

Go legal and return the car. I would also send correspondence to Porsche North America they keep the dealers in line.

I ordered a new vehicle a couple years ago. It came with small chips on three panels. Two months later I had a new car. I don't think you'll get that. You don't need a lawyer. Best of luck and drive the feck out of that GTS - one of my all time fav Porsches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    LOL.. Holy crap am I so not in any way sympathetic you silver spoon SOB..

20. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Who has the silver spoon Gary?

21. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Who has the silver spoon?

22. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    i am going to request a refund.

I have gone through the email and contract. Basically in the email, dealer guaranteed the car is new condition, no scratches and flawless in/out. He also guaranteed "If the car arrives with damages, dealer will take it back". I think these statement are strong enough. I could be wrong but lets see how they are willing to rectify.

bball16 likes this.
  23. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Please post any update.

24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

What document are you referring to showing it as a demo car? Are you talking carfax? If so, you could have checked it ahead of time, and it is unlikely they differentiate between a demo car and one used by Porsche corporate.

25. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    In no way could I describe those lower inner scratches as "massive" and the front air dam ones could've easily occurred during shipping. Actually, any of those could have happened during shipping. If those are the only imperfections, ones that can easily be touched up, I'd say you did well.

Those are just assumptions though. What I see as facts are that you are purchased a used car. You knew it had nearly 4000 miles on it. Damage occurs in 4000 miles of driving. You knowingly relied on someone else's evaluation of its condition, purchased it anyway, and now you expect that their evaluation NEEDS to match yours.

While I obvouosly do not know all the facts, I honestly do not think that you are acting reasonable. You tried to save $30K with zero risk. With your kind of expectations you should buy new. Brand new. In person. Inspect it yourself and then pay. But then also expect to accept the responsibility that you will have nobody else to blame.

I' m not trying to be harsh. Spending 150K is stressful. But you spent it for a reason, think about that reason. You bought a fantastic car!!! Don't get cought up in the little crap and go enjoy it!!! Best of luck.

Nuvolari likes this.