Collision avoidance systems | FerrariChat

Collision avoidance systems

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Apr 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    There are some new after market offerings in this space, where you can update your older car with collision avoidance.

These systems don’t take over the vehicle or anything like that, but they beep when you get too close to someone, change lanes, etc.

I thought about installing these on my kids’ cars, but then I recall having the technology in our Chevy Volt and found it to be a nuisance more than anything. The only thing I did like was the collision warning beep, which did in fact sound a few times.

You can get these for a few hundred $ all the way up to $1K, plus installation.

Worth it ?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    As a warning only system... how fast can a human react to an impending collision that's milliseconds away?

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Yeah I was thinking maybe if they were texting or looking at their radio or something it might at least grab their attention.

We know a new driver who just flipped her car because she was jacking with the radio. Luckily she wasn’t hurt.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I've been thinking about this... if the system, including at least 4 proximity sensors, came in at less than $200 I'd be seriously interested. Anything to increase situational awareness is worthwhile.

Some new cars have this already, along with lane-departure integration as well.