512 BB without a radio- Factory correct? | FerrariChat

512 BB without a radio- Factory correct?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by sixcarbs, Apr 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    While surfing I came across this 512 BB interior shot and see there is no radio. My 328 GTS was born without one (Like all of them) and I never had one installed. In its place was just a leather pad. At least in the US radios were dealer installed options back then.

So I am looking at this picture and wondering is this how the 512 BB's came from the factory, or did someone retsore the dash and not include a slot for a radio? Anyone know?

I thought the 512BBi was one of the first Ferraris to come from the factory with a radio, but I'm no expert.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Anyone know the answer please?

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I think BB512 (carbs) came w/o radios and they were a dealer installed option. BB512i (injected) came with factory installed pioneer radios with cool period graphic equalizers.

4. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Newman and others are the Experts here but it is my understanding that BB did not come with radio from the factory; it was dealer installed. BBi did come from the factory with the famous Pioneer KE 4300 unit complete with horsey logo.

5. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    i've heard that the 512BB came prewired with door speakers but did not have any head unit installed.
    I would be curious if the BB dash had a DIN cutout already or was solid.
    Once i got tired of the dead old radio in my BB - I put an Alfa radio blanking plate in with the Pininfarina script on it.