long island roads and low cars? | FerrariChat

long island roads and low cars?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by bocaf430, Apr 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have a silly question... I don't have any sports cars at the moment here on Long Island... my car is still in Florida... I am concerned bringing it here to find out the front will bottom out everywhere... Any local guys , Suffolk, Nassau that have f430 maybe lowered..mine is lowered a little bit from the stock height, I also have 20" wheels.... I would like to know if you guys have a lot of issues driving on the roads here.? do you scrape and bottom out? My house here is on a hill so driveway is sloped... I am concerned not even knowing if my car will make it in & out without bottoming out....lol I would love to bring my car as it is..lowered... or should I have it raised up a little by my mechanic before it leaves Florida.... I drive an escalade and 4x4 pickup here so I have no idea how these roads treat our low sports cars... I know this .. even in my truck the roads here SUCK.... I hope they fill the pot holes soon.
    thanks in advance

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I see 430s all over long island and everyother kind of car. I wouldn't worry about it. The roads suck up here and they will get a bit better, but for me they're more fun than the straight lines in FL. One of the reasons I have both of mine up here instead of down in Florida. Where I am in Vero it's just a bunch of straight roads, not the winding roads you find up here.

3. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I've had two 458s and two 488s (none lowered) and a Porsche 930 (which was lowered) and generally had no issues on the LI roads, but sloping driveways and some hilly intersections (or intersections with serious middle of the road arching) can be tricky if you don't have a lifter (not available in the Porsche). I strongly suggest a lifter for LI.

4. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    lifter not cheap to install in F430...... I am just a bit concerned of hitting bad dips and crowns in the roads here does the 458 and 488's have front end lifters?

5. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Front lifters are a factory option on 458s and 488s.

6. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I have a 488 and 430 Scuderia along with having had assorted Porsche's and never had an issue. That being said, you should use common sense in certain situations.
    If you are still concerned then install skid plates on the front end.
    While you're at it send some of that Miami weather up here.

7. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    rocketman I am on LI, I wish we had florida weather....

8. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    As far as bottoming goes - sloped driveways (your own, but also various gas stations, and other places you want to go) are a definite annoyance - even at stock height. If you want to not scrape the underside of your bumper, leave the car home. If you don't mind a few invisible scrapes and bumps under there, then no big deal. A bumper re-spray every once in a while is liveable if you feel the need.

Wheels take a beating, though. No matter how careful you are, there's no avoiding the occasional big hit. If you drive your car (let's say 3k mi/year or more), you'll have small wheel repairs nearly every year, and replacements needed every once in a while.

9. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have 20" wheels with very low profile tires... :(

Attached Files: