HELP please: 2013 F458 Spider Valve Cover Seepage | FerrariChat

HELP please: 2013 F458 Spider Valve Cover Seepage

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F14, Apr 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Folks, need some advice here. I'm about to purchase my first Fcar, and am looking at a 2013 458 Spider. After taking the car to Ferrari dealer for PPI, the report shows everything checks out except the following:

1) Valve Covers have minor seepage
    2) Squeak noise from brakes when moving at slow speed/parking - brake adjustment needed
    3) Front Luggage compartment cracked at bottom (front trunk tube cracked from bottom)

I am most concerned at #1, which is Valve Covers have minor seepage.

Ask:

- Valve Cover have minor seepage means engine is leaking oil, correct?
    - While PPI report says it is "minor seepage", is it a major (expensive?) service repair work to fix the valve cover? Meaning if I ask the dealer to fix it for me at no cost to me before I purchase the car, does that sound reasonable? (NOTE: the car dealer that's selling the car is not Ferrari dealer, but PPI was done at official Ferrari dealer, I want the Valve Cover leakage/seepage to be fixed at official Ferrari dealer)
    - The PPI results says: "Warranty expires in 2016" but "Genuine 7 years Service expires in 2020". I am confused: whats the difference between "warranty" vs "Genuine 7 years Service"?
    - Will "Genuine 7 years Service" replace/fix Valve Cover seepage at no cost to me, in case there is further seepage from valve cover in the future prior to year 2020 expiration?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    how many miles is the car? Seepage already? My 2007 has seepage after 11 years and 12k miles...13 seems a bit soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F14 likes this.
  3. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Thank you for quick reply. The car only has about 18,000 miles on it. Any advice Sir?

4. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    My 2011 has no seepage yet so I have yet to experience that. But my 07 spider has seepage and the valve cover job is about 2000-3500 depending where you take it to.
    Warranty is fixing anything wrong with the car except consumables. Service is free annual service at Ferrari dealer up to 7 yrs (oil change, filters, inspection etc.) but doesn’t cover any repairs (that’s my understanding, my 2011 isn’t under the 7 year program it started in 2012 MY)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F14 likes this.
  5. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Thank you Sir! Very helpful

6. MikeS

MikeS Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    The 7 years is a service plan only, not a warranty. Someone other than Ferrari will be footing the bill. I would not call seepage a meaningful leak. I would still repair it, should not be huge relatively speaking. But I would be curious if those covers have been off to repair something.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F14 likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I would insist on repairs for #1 and #3. The crack in the luggage compartment seems a bigger worry than the oil seepage from the valve covers if it is indeed only minor seepage. Any idea how the compartment cracked? It’s not a known fault or issue on these cars. Did someone drop something heavy into the compartment? Or was there accident damage?

As for the brakes, I’m not aware of any “adjustment” that can be made to eliminate squeaks. The carbon ceramic brakes on these cars have been known to squeak a small amount when lightly applied. The solution is usually to clean the brakes of dust with water and then bed the brakes. (Several hard near stops to heat them, without actually coming to a complete stop, followed by driving moderately until they’re cool again, then parking the car until they’re completely cool. Be sure not to cause an accident! You can find the process online at Stoptech’s and others’ websites.)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F14, Melvok and 338Lapua like this.
  8. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I agree with Need4Spd. Having the #1 and #3 repaired should be done before purchasing the car. Regarding the tub; On 458's , the center of the tub is usually the lowest point on the underside of the car so you can find minor scrapes on it. But a crack means it it was hit hard either from the top or bottom.

You'll need to see if you can negotiate with the selling dealer to get the items fixed. Good luck.

F14 and Melvok like this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Have all repaired before even thinking of buying that car imo ...

F14 likes this.
  10. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Thank you All! Great input and advice. I am in the process of obtaining official quotes from Ferrari dealership on parts and labor to fix all those 3 items, and will negotiate with the selling dealer to have them fixed as part of the deal.

Thanks again for the quick responses. Really appreciate it!

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And ... please show us pics of your car when you have it !

F14 likes this.
  12. F14

F14 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Will do! :)

Melvok likes this.