Has anyone bought a 550 in the last year? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Has anyone bought a 550 in the last year?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 1taliantrash, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    No sorry, you said

I love the Barchetta wheels! My 456M was ordered from the factory with them. Quite rare. (post 56)

Taz said

George- 18" wheels were not available as an option on the 456M. Thought we had been over this before. (post 57)

You now say

That the dealer had to order the wheels separately doesn't mean squat to me. He drove it off the lot in that configuration. That's all I care about.

Call me old and cranky, but it sounds like the facts (yep, they are still a thing) are that 18 inch wheels were not available as an option, and that your 456M was not ordered from the factory with them, contrary to what you said in post 56 above.

That's nothing to get worked up about; but if I said my 575 was ordered from the factory with its Tubi, and nobody corrected me, this board would be worthless.

Still love those wheels. Wish I had them myself.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- If you do not care about that level of detail, stop making detail comments that are incorrect. Pretty simple. Especially since you had the Monroney all the time that showed those wheels did not come from the factory. The build sheet would have shown the same thing. And no, that 456M was not as the buyer ordered it. Stop tap dancing around your misstatements.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    My tdf blue & tan 1998 550 is a bit of a "Plain Jane" one in terms of options, but I think it has Daytona Seats too.
    Those are Daytona Seats, aren't they?

So, my car came with:
    - a plain carpet interior (no leather shelf),
    - black brake calipers,
    - no shields,
    - no carbon fiber, and
    - the standard alloy wheels (I later added the 575 19" modular wheels to it).

Here are some pics (with both sets of wheels I have for it).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jürgen Geisler likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You'd have to ask Taz. They don't look like the plain seats I'm used to seeing in 456's, but they also don't seem to have perforated inserts.

Superfine car, though. I bought a 360 sunroof panel from a wrecked car, and it's that same blue. What is that blue called?

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    The shade of blue is "Tour de France Blue" aka "tdf blue".
    It is a dark-medium metallic blue.
    It reflects the sun well.

E_Man and G. Pepper like this.
  6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Thought so, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

7. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I guess if I had said it was ordered with them and left out from the factory it would have been okay. :rolleyes: The original buyer wanted those wheels and Ferrari of Beverly Hills got them for him. No contradiction, I did not know there had to be an intermediary step. Nice to know that bit of trivia, but it's a distinction without a difference to me. The car I bought was as the customer ordered it.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #83 tazandjan, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Ron- Those are the standard 550 seats.

George- You will apparently never learn. No, the 456M you bought was not as the customer ordered it. She was retrofitted with 550 18" modular wheels. Amazing how you can never be wrong, even when you are. See you are doing the same thing in the 360/430 forum, confusing an F430 and a Scud and then "whatever" when called on it.

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Taz, thanks for the info.
    I was thinking they might be standard seats since everything else on the car is the standard options.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ron- Standard 550 seats and Daytonas look very similar, and I see all kinds of ads for 550s with Daytona seats that do not have them. These images show how similar the two are. Fastest way to tell is that the center split goes all the way down on the Daytonas and stops at the bottom horizontal stitching on the standard seats.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Very interesting detail that I never knew.
    Thanks for sharing that.

Also, one detail I picked up on is that the early year 550's (like my 1998 model) have the left-right outside mirror buttons on the center console BELOW the circular adjustment control but on later years (like my friend's 2001 model) they inverted the same switch and put the left-right outside mirror buttons ABOVE the circular adjustment control.

Always something to learn on these cars.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Ron - could you share a picture of that? Will do the same with my 550. Interesting fact and I wonder why they did that. Thanks.

13. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #88 toggie, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Here are a couple of pics. One of my 1998 550 and one of a later 550 (with carbon fiber stick shift knob).

But you can check the For Sale ads yourself.
    You'll notice most early 550's have the left-right mirror buttons below the circle, the later years, like 2001, have the two buttons above.
    It is the same square control panel in size surrounding both, they just flipped it vertically at some point during the multi-year production run.

By the way, every once in a while you'll see a repair shop mount the square plate upside down.
    Typically this happens when they send it out to a place like Sticky-No-More and they're not sure how to re-install it.
    I've seen early year 550's with the left-right buttons incorrectly put on top and late year 550's where they put them incorrectly on the bottom.
    But, 99% of the early cars have the left-right buttons on the bottom and 99% of the later cars on top.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso likes this.
  14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The Daytona inserts also have the circular shapes, right? Or do the standard seats also feature those?

15. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eddie- Affirmative, the Daytonas have the perforated, separate strips, where the 550 standard has only stitching in the leather. If you can see that in a photo, a dead give-away, but the strips with holes are not always visible in the photos dealers post.

Contrasting strips are a dead give-away, too.

17. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Another question for you; am I confused or does the center strip on the Daytona 575 seats not go all the way down? I was looking at pics last night and realized either the above is true or the standard seats have the circular perforation.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eddie- No trouble telling the standard seats in a 575M, since all they have are large stitch ovals on the seats, which matches the door panels and rear leather shelf. The Daytona center strip does not extend like it does on the 550. Ferrari figured it was much easier to just swap out the center section for standard or Daytona strips than have two completely different seat patterns like the 550.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  19. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.
    Been offered a 550 TDF blue from 2000

1 thing is very strange, it says in the "Ferrari dealer's intranet database", car model year 1997 but then production date 22nd Feb 2000, finishing date 6th March 2000, delivery date 1st July 2000.
    Is it for a sure a 2000 model car right ? (maybe 1997 typo from someone at Ferrari back then)

Also car has red callipers but its not written on the attached screenshots about the FHP
    What do you guys think ?

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Red calipers were a separate option and did not only come with FHP, where red was the default color. The red calipers on that 550 are not original if the option sheet you posted was the correct one. It shows she came with aluminum (silver) calipers. Give us the serial number, which you redacted, and we can tell you whether she is a 97 or a 2000.

21. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    ignore the model year there, production date and delivery date are what matters. thats a 2000.

22. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Sounds interesting.

Also, just FYI, Ferrari of Denver has a 1998 550 for sale in the NART Blue / Cream color combo.
    15,279 miles, black calipers, no shields, and it comes with a full set of luggage for the 550 (in blue leather).
    VIN is ZFFZR49A0W0112209.
    Their asking price is $168,397.

Don't know anything about the condition of the car or its history.
    Best to do a full PPI before you buy any 550.

http://fblod.com/showroom/inventory/ferrari-550-maranello-zffzr49a0w0112209/

Usual Disclaimer: I have no connection to the car, car's owner, or dealership.

23. Shahz

Shahz Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Geneva / Dubai
    Full Name:
    Shahz. K.
    Can i send you by private message? Its not my car (yet) therefore I prefer being "discreet/cautious" ?

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sorry, I do not do private messages. Asked too many questions I am not qualified to answer.

25. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009