Amalgam 1:8 Models - Secondary Market | FerrariChat

Amalgam 1:8 Models - Secondary Market

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Rossocorsa1, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I have a wonderful collection of Amalgam 1:8 models (all Ferrari supercars) that I plan on growing. I have no plans to sell them. That said, I am curious about the secondary market for these models. I rarely, if ever, see them appear on eBay. When they do, they are generally gone quickly. I’m curious if anyone has a handle on the resale values of pristine Amalgam 1:8 models. Are these appreciating assets or worth very little? I honestly have no clue.

2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    First two collecting rules for many items including models: (1) Buy it because you like it, not for investment. (2) Buy the best that you can afford.
    Certainly some brands or types of very high end models will increase in value, but not all of them. The Amalgam pieces are very good models, but......

eBay is always the wrong place to sell any type of true high end model. These models really do not sell well on eBay. I believe that I have "...a handle on the resale values of pristine Amalgam 1:8 models." I've been in the specialty model car business for 35 years, and part of my business is buying and selling very high end models (limited editions, custom builts, and complete scratch builts). If you would like more detailed, and accurate info, please send me a PM.

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you. Like I said, I’m not looking to sell my models. On the contrary, I’m going to add a couple more. I was just curious. I bought these for my pleasure, not to sell.

4. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    You're welcome. Enjoy, they do display very well.

5. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I had a lot of Amalgam but after several issues and at least after the brutal price exploding
    i sold all! I got ca. 1/2 from my purchase price.
    First i thought it will be more because of the new higher prices but unfortunately not.

But i‘m fine, without a collection their is no pressure for adding new models with crazy 5 digits sticker... :D

6. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    I have a few and also have absolutely no intention to sell; however if I did I would think a collector auction venue would be the best market, like Christie's or similar.

7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    David, unfortunately it is highly doubtful that you would get anything close to what you paid. For several years now, I've been tracking results of these at major collector automobile auctions, with dealers, and private sales. The results have not been good, though occasionally one does sell for a good or great price. There is quite a lot more to say on this subject.

Rosey likes this.
  8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    If they ever stop making models than prices would I think go up. I hope they stick around for many years as I love their models quality.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Please post some pics. I'll do the same.

10. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    Lusso: Based on your research I'll be taking my Amalgam replicas with me when I pass on LOL!!! Seriously, I would never part with them anyway, regardless if value either up or down- I consider them fine art pieces.

Lusso123 and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Agree

12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That's the way to go David! They do make some great looking models.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    David - which 1/8 models do you have?

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I am willing to let go one of mine. I have a Cali T conv. Red/Cream. I would also be interested in trading it. I'll get some photos tonight. Have NO CLUE what it's worth in the secondary market.

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  16. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Amalgam does make really nice models. And 1/8 scale is really big, it requires some space to display. But if someone wants something in that scale, Amalgam is probably the best way to go. I've seen a F10 and a 250 TR and both had great presence.

And I'm not sure 1/8 scale Amalgam are that easy for an average person to find. You have to troll around collector auctions to find anything. Maybe you'll never find what you want on the secondary market.

Although I do see an F10 sold this year by Artcurial at Retromobile for less than retail so there you go. :)

-F

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey and NürScud like this.
  17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    If anyone wants the absolute best in the way of limited edition hand built Ferrari models, then one of the pieces by Patrice de Conto is truly the best way to go. That said, the choices offered may not be what everyone wants, meaning that de Conto only makes a short list of vintage cars, not new, and not F-1.

moriaan1, furmano and furoni like this.
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would agree, he does incredible work. But, as you said, his model range is rather limited. My personal collection is Ferrari 1/8 super cars (288 GTO, F40, Enzo, Laferrari). I am also planning on adding the F50 and LaFerrari Aperta soon - all of which he doesn't do. But, I really love Amalgam models. I'm very happy with them.

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    and the price is similar to the more expensive Amalgam models....but as you said, there is a very limited choice...but i wouldnt mind any of the options!!!

20. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I am not sure if there is a de conto available.
    Production stops after the last 290MM is made, and for what I heard it was sold..

21. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I heard similar information from one of my clients. I am a little sad if this is true. Patrice's work is fabulous true automotive art.

22. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Its true..

23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thanks for the confirmation Hans.

Sorry to see him go. Now there is one less maker of superb collector models.

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I sold all of my Patrice de Conto 1:8 models some time ago. It included a 330 P4 Spider, a 335 S Spider and a 250 GTO S1.
    I think I got maybe 50 percent of the original purchase price.

Marcel Massini

25. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I could have gotten you full price. De Conto's are quite desirable.