OIL (no, not again!!!!!) | FerrariChat

OIL (no, not again!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial 1985, Mar 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Hey guys, if I can't get my hands on any Red Line or Amsoil (currently running Amsoil 10W40 although the manual calls for 10W50), what brand and weight would you suggest?
    Thanks!

2. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I use this...
    http://a.co/96lAgc6

Had it analyzed right out of the pail and it was very comparable to other high ZDDP oils.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  4. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Attached the analysis of the Miles All Spec 15w-40. Being under $10 a gallon (when I bought it a while back) it provided a lot of performance! Especially considering I would barely drive the car and change the oil every year or so.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Does look like a good oil and well priced. Need to make sure a diesel oil also carries an API "S" category as well as the CI/K typical diesel rating.
    This one does with an SL category, which is not the latest (SN) but is certainly acceptable.

I think this is a synthetic blend. Probably close to what was specced for our cars in the 1980's, my 1988 manual calls for AGIP 10/40 semi synthetic.

6. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I have a Ferrari printout that list several oil specs for engine, transmission, differential, etc. as they relate to different manufactures.........a cross reference table.
    It lists AGIP Sint 2000 SAE 10w/50 being comparable (for engine) to Mobil Oil Super 15w/50.

I used Valvoline VR1 racing oil. Not so impressed to find out it really did not have any more zinc protection than regular oil.

I decided to use Mobil One Synthetic 15w/50, comes in a 5 qt jug and is on the shelf at wal-mart. You can get your hands on an UFI filter very easily on the internet or you can buy a K&N on the other shelf at Wal-mart. Either way, I think I change my oil every 1000 miles or so and it is crystal clear every time. Why worry about oil breakdown, zinc content, etc?

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Redline 5w-50 is what I have been using for years with good results on my 308 QV. Originally mine uses the 10w-50 but 5w-50 has better and faster oil flow during cold start up.

Il Steeg likes this.