ESPN / Sky coverage (spoilers) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ESPN / Sky coverage (spoilers)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Mar 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    My biggest complaint wasn't Sky or ESPN but the world feed:
    *** SPOILERS ***
    While Riccardo was taking a run at Kimi, the video was showing Max *not* catching Alonso.

And, earlier, when another overtake attempt was about to happen, they cut to a replay of Sainz going wide.

Why would we want to show the interesting parts of the race?

And I don't think I saw a Sauber/Alfa on track the whole 2 hours.

On the ESPN replay, they cut to college sports previews right after the interviews -- about 10 minutes early.
    Kinda tells you where ESPN's priorities lay.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    For sure a complete mess when it comes to "communication" with the audience. For your first race with a new audience, a complete screw up.

I think one solution would be if they would put subtitles of the driver's conversations on the screen. The worst part is seeing a logo on the screen that there's pit talk and you don't know what is going on. Frustrating! These conversations are on delay anyway. Give us a subtitle to at least read.

Yes, the commercial breaks where you are completely lost as to what happened in the last 4 minutes is really bad. I don't think ESPN cares though. "Your problem".

NBC was better BUT-- NBC had like 20 more commercial breaks than what we saw last night. One thing I miss is the post race recap from NBC. As soon as the drivers stopped talking they cut the broadcast to do some lame recorded talk show. Really? You think that will get you higher ratings?

I really have no idea why ESPN wants F1. It seems they got it cheap so they can fill up some air time.

suz123nj likes this.
  3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No they did break away I think 2 or 3 times. I agree NBC did it much more HOWEVER, NBC would show some replay of what happened or explain what was missed. This live feed they just keep running. It's difficult to pick up what was missing in the 4 minutes you were away.

suz123nj likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Now I really miss Hobbs, Machett, Diffy and Buxton!

5. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    The only one I remember was during the safety car periods. Nothing going on during those slow laps anyway and you've already seen Vettel stay ahead a Hamilton. They cut back in just before they were released to go. I could be wrong, but that's the only one during racing laps that I remember.

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I do believe they did a better job of cutting away than NBC. Fewer commercials for sure. But something is missing.

I think missing the Sky pre-race really turned people off in general. It set the mood for "WTF are you guys doing?"

And the lack of post race is really, really terrible. They didn't even recap who got points or show any replays or do any analysis. Just cut to some stupid talk show.

suz123nj likes this.
  7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The restart was during side-by-side.

NBC, I used to fast forward past the side-by-side and commercials, as there was recap.
    ESPN, I have to watch during side-by-side ...
    ... while thinking I need a bigger TV. ;)

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One and a half out of four. :)

Actually Buxton is with Sky. I saw him giving interviews during practice.

9. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I have been watching on BBC Channel 4, but I have to wait to see the feed. love Steve Jones, Coulthard, and Webber on Grid walk, analysis additionally from Suzy Wolf, Edie Jordan, and roving interviews by Lee McKenzie.

After seeing that all of last season, Brundle is deficient on the Grid walk, give me Buxton all day long even with his overboard exuberance. Additionally, I found many of Brundle's comments during the race to be lacking in insight and accuracy. did you notice Rosberg's comment, "... driver's just want to get settled and not talk to reporters, especially you!" I don't know if there is something to that comment, but it seemed he was ripping on Brundle.

the breaks were just nonesensicle on ESPN

suz123nj likes this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Zoom mode! :)

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Jackie Stewart was there. I would have loved to have heard his comments. We are wasting one of the greats.

12. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN

I can agree with a lot of that.

13. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I saw that too, how could they not get his take? I see Jackie most years at Pebble Beach, he is usually leading tours of the race cars and has incredible stories. He sat in Lauda's race winning Ferrari, I have a picture. he never was able to drive one of those cars and he seemed genuinely moved.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Coverage was awful.

Personally, I would just prefer they cover the whole race and this is what I mean: go to commercial and come back exactly where you left off, like a TiVo feed. If I have to look at commercials atleast show me everything with dialogue. They almost completely missed the Vettel pit stop miracle - if your a Vettel/Ferrari fan. But I heard nothing about its potential.

Additionally, that was without question the dumbest BMW X2 commercial I had to suffer through it what seemed like 20 times.

15. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Screw-ups on pre & post race coverage, awkward commercial breaks.....and yet STILL better than the screaming Aussie fatboy Leigh Diffey and his fake drama. And while I like Hobbs & Matchett I was tired of hearing the same comments every race ("Louise Hamilton", "Advantage McLaren", "Maranello expects", etc.). ESPN needs to figure out how to do a professional broadcast but I'll take it any day over Diffey's grating dramatics

dflett likes this.
  16. Doug3

Doug3 Karting

Dec 20, 2012
    I never thought that I'd miss Leigh Diffey and David Hobbs.

Rob Blasdel likes this.
  17. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I think in the US we're stuck with the F1/Sky feed and Sky announcers, so the commercials are going to fall where they may, no way around it this year apparently. I wasn't a fan of Diffey at all, so no matter what I think of the Sky team, I'm not complaining so far! Agree that it would be nice to have a US based broadcast team, but I think I'll take Brundle's pit walk over Buxton. Even with the 10-15 minute glitch in pre-race show we got to see enough to make it interesting, plus the Grid Kids and National Anthem that NBCSN never showed.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Someone shoud teach the gridkids to remove their hats during anthems. Somethings are fundamental.

19. ronzalfa

ronzalfa Karting

Sep 25, 2004
    SW Washington
    Full Name:
    Ron Deaver
    Commercials were inserted in spots that would never be tolerated in their stick and ball airings, which indicates the total lack of understanding this venue by the commercial decision makers at espn. As much as I am not a fan of nascar, they at least understand their events from a spectator/fan base involvement. Ask yourself if this was your initial exposure to F1, would you understand or desire to return to the next televised event?

20. nickp91

nickp91 Rookie

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    nickp
    F1 just isn’t the same without bob varsha leigh diffey David Hobbs and Steve Matchett

Rob Blasdel likes this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO, Liberty needs to take a good look at last night. They paid a ton for F1 with the idea that they were going to get the USA audience.

ESPN's coverage is a massive step backwards to getting more people to watch

I agree with the idea of suspending coverage during TV breaks and returning where you left off but there is one problem -- if you are following on F1.com and getting information you are in continuous spoil mode. But for rebroadcasts it shouldn't matter.

To sum it up: I don't think ESPN gives a rat's bottom about F1.

Enzo91 and tifoso2728 like this.
  22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    No, it's better. As imperfect as the ESPN coverage was, and as rough as their commercial cuts were, anything is better than the old NBCSN commentary of random noises: "Whoaaah! OOOO!" *sucking air through teeth* "Mmmmrgh." :oops:

All the best,
    Andrew.

dflett, jgonzalesm6 and vinuneuro like this.
  23. suz123nj

suz123nj Rookie

Mar 13, 2017
    Exactly, they shirked their responsibilities and presented a very lazy lazy presentation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tifoso2728 likes this.
  24. suz123nj

suz123nj Rookie

Mar 13, 2017
    Watched in DVR also...no interviews and interviews after from losers either. Poor coverage. Pre race on the grid was awful too when it finally was available.

25. suz123nj

suz123nj Rookie

Mar 13, 2017
    Basically, I felt cheated by this presentation for the same reasons

tifoso2728 likes this.