Another George Barris Creation Resurfaces: The Golden Sahara | FerrariChat

Another George Barris Creation Resurfaces: The Golden Sahara

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by G. Pepper, Mar 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This over-the-top car was actually a sensation in the 50's and early 60's. Everyone knew where it was, as Jim Street financed the project and owned it, but it hadn't been seen since about 1980. Street died last year, and so here we are.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/03/20/after-50-years-in-hiding-majestic-golden-sahara-is-headed-to-auction.html

Looks sad now, but people were genuinely crazy about this car back in the day. Thank goodness tastes change.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

He did not start with a '53 Capri as the article says, it was a '56 Capri (totally different body style). My source says.

And, not to change the subject too much, about the same time, Lincoln themselves did a car just as outlandish, the Lincoln Futura... double canopies.
    It was later modified into the Batmobile for the TV show.

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    So this was the GS version? ;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    G. Pepper likes this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Great info at that link, thanks. I was a big Batman fan when I was a kid in the 60's.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

See post #2... :)

I built a model of the Futura when I was a kid... it was a big deal at the time.

When I later saw the Batman TV show... I recognized it, without knowing the story.