DRIVERLESS UBER KILLS PEDESTRIAN TODAY OOPPSIE.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DRIVERLESS UBER KILLS PEDESTRIAN TODAY OOPPSIE....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by gtjoey, Mar 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    What happened was tragic for those involved, I don't want my statements to bypass that.

That being said, by the time the pedestrian was illuminated the driver would have 1-2 seconds to react. Most people cannot react that quickly, and while the autonomous systems failed, I don't think the end result would have been any different had a typical driver been in control.

2. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I think it’s almost 100 mètres the driver was looking down inside the car interior.

3. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree it would be a dangerous situation.

But I’m fairly sure that the headlights picked the pedestrian up well before one to two seconds or twenty to forty metres. What the dash cam records at night, and what the human eye sees at 38mph illuminated by headlights are two different things.

While braking to a stop may be difficult, swerving may have been an option, and any reduction in speed would have been vitally important if there was still impact.

The technology failed totally, and there is no excuse for that according to the expert in the article above.

4. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Nhtsa says you can see about 50 metres 38mph. You always look down the road when driving as opposed to directly ahead.

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
  6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    That video says it all..........

7. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No but in 20 years yes. In 10 years we will definitely have a much larger percentage than today but I do not believe it will be over 50%

8. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Untill Ford is selling more electric f150 then ice versions electric vehicles will be in the minority.

9. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    I live in the area where this happened, so took a little detour on the way home just now. Drove the exact route and speed the uber did, its dark now [just like the time of the accident] and my 54 yr old eyes cant be as good as they used to be. The exact location of the accident is not pitch dark, but has street lights, as well as backround light from an office building up the road a few hundred feet. With all that said, if any driver was paying attention I'm almost positive they would see at least an outline of someone crossing that road. Plus, if the bike the lady was pushing had anything reflective on it that would've been shown brightly in the lights. The lady crossing was in a bad spot, but I feel I would've seen her, the uber driver should have, and I cant believe the uber car didn't sense her in the road.
    As an avid cyclist I worry about getting run over by texting teens, now I gotta worry about self driving cars too?

tritone and davidoloan like this.
  10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    AFAIK, LIDAR is based on the use of infrared light, and works day or night, with or without headlights. I don't think that the pedestrian would need to be illuminated by a light before the LIDAR should have been able to spot her, unlike a human.

Just based on the video, this looks like a complete fail on Uber's part.

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    News report said the Lidar was turned off at the time!

Why it was still in driverless mode then is the next question...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #37 4th_gear, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Do you mean 1-2 seconds to STOP or 1-2 seconds to START braking?

If a driver is paying attention, he should be able to start to brake at least within 0.5 second, if not less. It's really a 2-step process, we start applying our brakes as soon as we detect a speed-limiting situation, then we quickly decide if we have to stop dead or only slow down.

The Volvo XC90 hit the poor lady at 40 mph. That's 58.5 feet per second. According to this driver's education website. According to it, when stopping from 40 mph, "thinking distance" is 40 feet (0.7 seconds) and "braking" distance is 80 feet.

At any rate, it looks like neither the driver nor the driverless system even tried to stop or TAKE EVASIVE ACTION. If they had, this lady would probably not have died.

In a perfect world where driverless systems are fully stress-tested and are perfect, their public use might be acceptable from the moral and safety standpoints, if not from the standpoint of human development as regards how mentally and physically inept and dependent on computers and machines we should allow humans to become. No one is asking this last question I just posed, before embarking on get-rich-quick money-making schemes that take on an economic life and unstoppable momentum of their own.

I think all too often these "LAB-EXPERIMENT" driverless systems are simply dangerous excuses for inept drivers to be on the roads. Greedy companies do not care if people die from their experimenting on public roads. That's essentially what they are doing, letting the unsuspecting Public pay the price for their greed in their rush to start making money on these things. IMO, if you cannot even stay awake and pay attention to driving, you should not be in charge of a vehicle. Go hire a taxi, chauffeur or take a bus!

The perfect driverless system I mentioned above should be the product of decades of testing and successful use in the military, industrial and commercial sectors, before they are contemplated for public consumption.

IMO, there's corruption going on between these car companies and government regulators.

tritone likes this.
  13. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    The system can never be perfect because no matter how advanced AI becomes it cannot make a complex moral decision, such as whether to crash into crowd of school children or drive off a cliff instead.

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    easy ...drive off the cliff. ;)

FWIW, a "similar choice" can be pre-selected using a driver profile questionnaire, driver has to sign in to identify himself as valid driver for vehicle.

15. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    #40 gtjoey, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    You mean the CONVICTED FELONE that was driving the car, that was released from prison FOR ATTEMPTED ARM ROBBERY AND SPENT 4 YEARS IN JAIL!........
    Smart people, real smart people, A snowflake must have made the hire?
    Well this should slow down this fiasco by about 200 years........
    In New York if you had 2 or 3 tickets on your application you cannot get insurance for a cab driver through a taxi service.
    They couldn't get the coverage.
    Its really sad.

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah, I have my doubts on whether driverless idea can ever be idiot-proof for the Public. It's not like flying a plane where you have to be trained and licensed, get weeded out if you're not up to the task.

It's bad enough we already have such a broad range of driver skill levels (or lack there of) on public roads, without further adding the delegation of responsibility by "absentee" or bad drivers to complex autopilot systems that can fail on their own, fail due to improper operation, fail due to hacking or fail due to improper/lack of maintenance.

Whatever happened to keeping things simple and just making sure drivers acquire proper skills and take driving seriously? Is this another public concept "driven" overboard by POLITICAL CORRECTNESS in the name of (supposed) public safety? They are just transferring risks from individuals to machines and to corporations that make them. Pretty soon we won't trust the Public to do anything that might require any skill because it would be deemed "unfair" to have a person learn a skill and we would all be forced to pay corporations and the government "a fee" whenever public concerns are involved... so as to have them do it for us.

I think it's more than just about driving.

17. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Its never going to happen......The video says it all.

18. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm SORRY .......I left out the part that it looks like the pedestrian was locked up for drug dealing and homeless.
    The driver turned from a MAN to A WOMAN who had also been convicted of drugs and stealing......They wont claim a gender because of TRANSGENDER RIGHTS......
    GOD BLESS AMERICA......And you guys want a computerized driving system, Haaaaaaaaa
    Once again Thank God my WW2 Uncles are all dead, the entire story and Uber are a complete disgrace.
    It will never happen because this sad country is gone!

19. Gmaccormack

Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah it won't happen cause some old guy says so! Lol your lack of reasoning is comical. It's coming. It was only a matter of time before the first death happened. Driverless cars only need to have less accidents then the driving public. To say it will never happen is asinine. I bet in The 70's you though computers were only going to get larger and only the richest rulers of the world could afford them lol

20. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Gmac, I gave you reason, if your a millennial, youll never understand, but if your older which I think you are, just listen to this reason
    A drug induced homeless women gets killed while pushing her bike in the middle of the street
    A convicted felon who has done prison time who was also convicted of drug charges along the way, IS TH ASSIGNED DRIVER for UBER.
    Who is so STABLE that HE became a SHE and after all the above , they have to STUDY how this happened.
    The battery cars are coming and REAL soon, the driverless YOU and I WONT have to worry about.
    In a loving way.
    GTJOEY1314

21. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Gmac, this just came over the wire.......
    He /she or it? as per New York law was convicted of speeding and blowing red lights besides a suspended liscense and registration and remember this is the person who was hired as the "SAFETY DRIVER".
    Ubers statement to the press..........Everyone one deserves a break!
    You cant make this up.
    Its not the car , its the lack of evolution my friend.
    I'm just having fun with you now, but it truly is a sad state of affairs

22. Gmaccormack

Nov 30, 2010
    The car was driving not the monitor. The monitors criminal record has nothing to do with how this tech will advance. Just bad vetting by uber. I'm not convinced uber will be the one to master the self driving car but who knows. Lots of others working on the same goals for different company's. I fully understand you don't like this coming to be. But it is the way of the future just like electric will eventually replace ice. To say driverless cars will never happen is foolish. Once the tech gets to the point that it's safer then the average driver humans will move to make the safer option the only choice. As for the gender bs we agree on that. Nuff said don't want to hurt any of their feelings. Honestly I think electric and driverless will both be the norm in 20 years or less. Battery tech isn't there either now. Not enough lithium mines and battery production facilities. Then you have to consider the end of life of all those battery's. Still lots of time to build the infrastructure needed.

23. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Gmac, You have humor my friend!
    Great back and forth.
    Enjoy the night.
    GTJOEY1314

Gmaccormack likes this.
  24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    in your opinions....

who is liable for this accident? who will be made to pay a price for the death of the woman?

25. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    That is in the UK, one of the major issues with the insurance companies and manufacturers.

As for this incident was there some blame toward the 'driver' or person sat in? Interesting for us but no so for the family and friends of those involved.