USS Lexington | Page 2 | FerrariChat

USS Lexington

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by F1tommy, Mar 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    A Wehrmacht joke making the rounds after D-day. “If you see camouflaged planes, it’s the RAF. If you see silver planes, it’s the Americans. If you see no planes, it’s the Luftwaffe.”

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    By that time they had lots of planes, but no gasoline and few pilots. They were pumping the planes out like sausages, but most of them were just static displays.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not to mention that some of the new pilots were 16 YO boys...

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Those photos are incredible! I can't get over how good those planes look...paint barely faded and just some silt and other stuff here and there. Mindblowingly cool! Thanks for posting those...

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have said for years the Battle of Midway has got to be one of the most important battles in our history.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I feel that we were laced with luck as well as commitment and brave action. We caught the Japanese in a bad situation trying to change the offensive loads on their airplanes and pressed home the attacks in spite of terrible losses of our planes and men. The Battle of Midway bloodied the nose of our adversary and stopped their offensive in the South Pacific. The flabby and complacent American showed what was really within when challenged. I hope that it is still there. Yamamoto thought that after a few defeats the Americans would sue for peace. A little bit wrong there, pal. No defeats, a few set backs, but no defeats. I often think about the picture of the Japanese cruiser, Mogami, burnt and smoking , dead in the water, with the wreckage of a U.S. Navy attack plane on the aft gun turret.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Love those really early markings on the aircraft on the Lex. Do not see too many restored aircraft with markings that early.

9. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    The degree of preservation after 76 years is just amazing! The red one must be for a bomb hit on (presumably) a ship.

10. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
    here is my radio control 1/4 scale wildcat modeled after the ones that served on the lexington. i had the honor of being asked to fly it on ford island, pearl harbor for an airshow anniversary of the battle of midway. my model has a 250cc 4 stroke radial for power. barry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

arizonaitalian and Crawler like this.
  11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

No UV rays / sunlight to fade the paint, etc.
    Plus the cold temps.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- Without the guy standing in the background, I would have thought your model was the real thing. She looks great, down to the flaps.

u2fast likes this.
  13. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
    Thx. I love to scale my models down to the details.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That is a beautiful and ,for once, an accurate rendition of an early F4F. I'm interested in the retraction mechanism of the main gear. It has to pretty good and strong to withstand some hard landings. Not a simple mechanism.

15. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #42 ralfabco, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  16. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    A good documentary on the Wildcat.

17. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
  18. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    That is just amazing! One question. In the first photo, it looks as if the model has a two rather than three-bladed prop. Is that correct for early Wildcats?

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks. If it was built from a kit, what kind? Really an amazing example of modeling nowadays. Butch O'Hare would have loved this!

20. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    I wonder how many original WWII planes are left- the actual ones that had kills, that dropped the bombs etc. A GTO with real race history is worth a fortune, what would one of these planes be worth? Either way they should be left as they are, but so glad we at least have the pictures.

21. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r
    the wildcat always had a 3 blade prop. i have both for my model, but the performance is far better with the two blade prop. the kit started life as a fischer kit from Germany.