DRIVERLESS UBER KILLS PEDESTRIAN TODAY OOPPSIE.... | FerrariChat

DRIVERLESS UBER KILLS PEDESTRIAN TODAY OOPPSIE....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by gtjoey, Mar 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Well, you know this was coming, Ive never sued anyone.
    I hope the family even if ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS sues for TRILLION AND TRILLIONS to put this to bed!
    Now this was one car in a low populated area. Imagine New York with 7 million people on 3 square miles?
    To all the millennials and school teachers.......get up off you ask and drive!
    GTJOEY1314

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Update, Uber just released that those LONG test drives from coast to coast, guess what EVERY 0.8 MILES THE DRIVER HAD TO ASSIST THE MACHINE!
    Oh well..........
    Can we pull back this tax waste and move on, its like my millennial employees keep telling me how the square wheel is better......
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    gtjoey1314

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I see these cars near ASU in Tempe all the time. There had to be a first death at some point.

I’m not surprised that this occurred. Pedestrian, probably thought, “i’ll Rush and the driver will see me and they have to slow down because i’m here on campus...”

Problem is that there wasn’t a real person driving to have that ‘understanding’ on what typically occurs in this often repeated event in urban areas.

Robb

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  6. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Did you actually see the video of what happened, or do you prefer to gauge your opinions based on headlines rather than facts?

7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    My friend, IT WILL NEVER WORK.
    Uber just admitted on Monday that all those trips from new York to California a human driver had to assist every 0.8 miles.
    Over 3,000 miles that's a lot, times that by 18 million new cars per year. Every year, yet alone another 200 million cars on the road?
    Do you see where I'm going here?
    100 years ago they passed a law in New York that the car manufacture would be liable if something happened while driving,that soon was over turned.
    Everyone would have been bankrupt.
    It AINT gonna work!
    In Manhattan there are 7.5 million people in a 3 mile square box, could you image this?
    I'm okay with the battery coming but this.......it cant be controlled to many variable.
    Why cant we start vapor transport like star trek enough with 4 tires and a cup holder!!!!!!!
    Lovingly
    GTJOEY1314

8. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah technology never advances fast! Driverless cars are never going to happen!

Sarcasm off....

9. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Wait lets have REAL fun.......
    A driverless car is sitting on the CROSS BRONX EXPRESSWAY in New York or DETRIOT...........
    While sitting in hours of traffic not moving, the locals decide to strip the car of its wheels , computers and all.....
    I wonder what would happen...SCENE FROM KNIGHTRIDER ..Michael, your probing me, don't touch that button..Haaaaaaaa
    It will never happen.

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Every time someone says something in technology will never happen, it does.

No pun intended, but the wheels are in motion for driverless cars, and the development won't stop. People (occupants/pedestrians) will still continue to die from accidents and such but those numbers will be less than human controlled vehicles.

11. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    No, Technology is rarely used in what seems the obvious way at the time. It was proposed that every house would have an electric motor that would power devices. Instead all the devices got small electric motors. Millions of them. Which made for a very different world.

12. Gmaccormack

Nov 30, 2010
    Lol at the old guy who says it will never happen. Sorry joey but it's happening despite your objections. Just because it's not ready today doesn't mean it's not ever going to happen. The wheels of progress keep moving even if a few peole get run over along the way. Places like Manhattan are the places where this technology will make the biggest difference.

13. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Lets try this.....since its snowing and this is a prostate swelling contest.
    Who here believes the electric car will take over gasoline completelty in the next 10 years......
    I DO.
    But computers making EVERY infinite move in a car in EVERY situation, it cant happen, on rails yeas but free flow no way.
    The earth is roundand I'm old but its not happening.
    Hey what happens if someone hacks the satellite ?
    Can that happen? I bet it does....
    Like Ive said before, I'm dying with gas in my veins , I embrace change but if we are on a bridge and they say jump, go ahead....
    I'm not doing it.
    Having fun.
    GTJOEY1314

14. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    It’s happening but the final result will probably NOT be what we envision today. As is always the way.

15. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
  16. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Do any of you believe the electric car is the majority in 10 years.......funny no one is responding

17. Gmaccormack

Nov 30, 2010
    No joey absolutely not! battery tech isn't there yet. Ever wonder why tesla can't build all the model 3 is has orders for? Battery supply. That's why. Lithium isn't as abundant as we would need for all these new cars.

18. Gmaccormack

Nov 30, 2010
    Absolutely David. I can't predict the future but I know what ever I guess reality will be bigger and better then I can envision. Joey bring up satellites being attacked. That's old thinking. They probably won't need to be linked to satellites for just that reason.

19. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    So I sat down with the heads of Porsche ,Bmw , Mercedes and VW at Amelia island and they are all set for80% all electric within 10 years but , a driverless car is around the corner.....
    I love you guys but out on this conversation.
    How would each car drive itself without satelites and navigation?

20. Gmaccormack

Nov 30, 2010
    Are you out of the conversation or not? Can't say your out and continue to ask questions. To answer your question anyways there's lots of ways other ways besides satellites. But what do I know. So where are the auto manufacturers planing on getting the battery's from?

21. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    lost power in snow storm.........I have no clue but that's what they say , guess the same as saying driverless ,who knows...
    Funny though we have antiquated electric, 100 year old trains and third world phone service but........
    Enjoy guys, its still snowing 10 inches in March the 4th storm of the century THIS MONTH.
    GTJOEY1314

22. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #22 davidoloan, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Ethical decisions will have to be made by machines. i.e. Should the car decide to drive at the 15 year old in its path, or avoid the 15 year old by swerving and driving at the 70 year old in its new path, or should it swerve even more violently and drive off the bridge into the sea taking the lives of the occupants but saving the pedestrians.

Legislation, liability, public feeling..............................

23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    They're working through that in the UK. The latest argument is between insurance companies and manufacturers regarding access to proprietary data in the event of an accident. They'll get there and then it'll work in the UK as it currently does with private motor vehicles.

However when the autonomous vehicle is perfected (and I have no doubt it will) why would any of us need a car on the driveway? I'll whistle an autonomous one down like a taxi :D

24. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    The video has been released now, and while the car didn’t react by changing direction, the driver kept looking up and down monitoring something in the car. Given full attention on the road ahead I think a driver would have had a good chance of avoiding the pedestrian, given that she had already crossed the left lane, so the headlights should have picked her up before she was in the same lane as the car. RIP

The driver is looking downwards inside the car for approx five seconds, and gives a shocked look immediately on looking upwards and out the windscreen - no reaction time.