New here and looking into getting a 430 Spider | FerrariChat

New here and looking into getting a 430 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by wmrwl, Mar 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wmrwl

wmrwl Rookie

Mar 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm moving from the Northeast to FL this spring and am thinking of consolidating some cars I own and getting a 430 Spider. My only convertible now is an 05 Boxster and am anticipating MANY more top down days so I want to sell off 2 or 3 of my other cars and just keep my daily driver and have a 430 Spider.

Some background on me: I work from home so don't have a commute so I only drive to pick up groceries and for pleasure, etc. only. I may keep my Lexus for day to day groceries so I'll be down to just that and the 430.

I'm looking for an 08 because of the improved headers and the brake upgrade. From what I understand the headers are a bit improved in 08, but can still be problematic. Is there anything else I should be aware of when shopping? I do all of my own wrenching on all of my cars (it's part of my whole car hobby obsession) and these seem relatively easy to maintain as far as oil changes, brakes, etc. I'd probably bring it to the dealer for clutches and other larger maintenance and repairs.

I want one that's been DRIVEN and not a garage queen. Something with about 20-30k miles sounds about right to me. I always prefer to buy private, but all the private owners seem to have absurdly low miles (and correspondingly higher prices). I want the car to be driven because in my experience garage queens tend to have the most problems (and cars in general aren't really meant to sit). I'm not looking for higher mileage to save money, but I think the 430 was a well built Ferrari and they engineered it to be driven regularly. I've owned quite a few other Porsche's (some 911's) and this seems to be inline as far as "reliability".

I also can't find any cars with this kind of mileage outside of those shady non franchise dealers (I've had bad experiences buying from them in the past). I'm looking for white (also considering the blue, but need to see one in person because photos are deceiving with that color) which makes the search a bit tougher. It seems everyone is selling red or yellow mostly.

Am I way off base on this and is there any advice that I should be aware of or a buyers guide somewhere I can look at?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - put 'buying' in the search at the top - restrict it to titles and you should get a bunch of threads started by folk with a similar query to yours

wmrwl likes this.
  3. wmrwl

wmrwl Rookie

Mar 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sorry about the newbie question and thanks for replying. Apparently similar questions have been asked an answered about a million times and now I have an abundance of info to dig through :)

I didn't mean to litter the forum with another one. I guess I will read through those posts and eventually put a WTB ad up (in the appropriate place) once I do all the research.

Thanks again!

4. zone1

zone1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2018
    SF Bay
    I didn't know there was a brake upgrade on 2008 cars. Were the 2008 cars all CCB or was there an upgrade to the steel brake system?

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Nope all Ferraris came standard with CCB starting model year 2008 according to what I have read.

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Rob - It is my opinion that finding a car with higher mileage from a reputable dealer maybe hard to do. Not impossible. Regardless, I owned a 08 430 that had 6,000 miles when I bought it. Not necessarily a garage queen but lower miles. Never had an issue with the car. Ran great and when I bought it the clutch had 5% wear and the CCB's were like new. If you only want to spend a certain amount on the car, then a higher mileage car may be preferred. If you are flexible in your budget, I would not pass up cars that have lower miles. You may pay a little more but the car may be in better shape. Again, this really depends on your expectations. If you want a "sorted" car then I would look at one that has around 9,000-15,000 miles. More than likely the car will be well sorted PROVIDED the owner maintained the car properly. Service records are your friend when buying a car and I think this is more important than mileage. Hope this helps.

7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Not an answer to your question but generally you can expect to put down at least another $5k into the car after purchase. These are old cars now and old cars break especially if they have been treated like conversation pieces/garage queens. Most of Ferrari owners seem to own their cars this way hence the abnormally low mileage on many cars.

My advice is to disregard the miles and find a freshly serviced car with aftermarket headers, exhaust, new clutch, throw out bearing, pilot bearing etc. Also do a full PPI and also check the ball joints and CCB for wear both with computer and optically.

cavlino likes this.
  8. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Welcome (in advance) to Florida!

I do have a couple of things to offer. First, what region do you plan to move to? Florida should really be considered three different states. South Florida is nothing at all like Central Florida, and the Panhandle is an animal all it’s own. And each of them have different climates. I will tell you that after I moved to Central Florida, I drove top down less and less. For large chunks of the year it is just godawfully hot, muggy and miserable inland. You need to be at the coast to enjoy a convertible.

Second, I would say you are right to be a bit skeptical of the non-dealer sellers. Florida is notorious for shady used car dealers, but there are a lot of top notch places out there. When you see a car you like, post a question here and you’ll get honest feedback from members who have bought there. I did, and it was spot on.

Finally, you need to go see the car in person before buying, especially if you are looking for an unusual color like white or blue. Don’t get me wrong, I really like your preference. However I flew out to see a car in Blu Mirabeau because I was convinced I wanted it, despite the red interior. In person, I couldn’t get over the red interior. Pass.

Again, welcome in advance to Florida!

9. wmrwl

wmrwl Rookie

Mar 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This is a huge help, thank you! I think including lower mileage cars in my search will increase the supply a bit. I suppose the lower mileage will help with resale as a bonus.

Thanks for the specific tips!

I just bought in the SW coast (about 30 minutes from Anna Maria Island) just north of Sarasota. I bought the house in July and didn't think it was all that much hotter than up north in the summer. I think I've driven top down more in the Boxster in a few months than I have in all the years I've owned it up north. Ferrari of Tampa Bay has a blue one that I may take a look at in early April when I head back down so I can see if I like the blue.

10. Falcon7x

Falcon7x Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2012
    Flight Level 450
    Full Name:
    Stew
    There is a VERY NICE 08 at Ferrari of Central NJ....it used to be mine.

11. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Good luck with your search. It's a great car.