Thoughts On Damien Hirst | FerrariChat

Thoughts On Damien Hirst

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Passed by the art gallery today and saw this.Why exactly is his work so valuable? $30k for this collection of dots your 5th grader could do as a color wheel.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I am no great fan either, nor I have to admit am I any kind of art expert. However, I do find it much easier to appreciate technique, composition and brushwork in a Monet or Turner for example. As I understand it, latterly Hirst manages a production line type facility where minions produce these and his ‘spin paintings’ which he then authenticates.......
    I suppose people denigrated Jackson Pollock, Rothko and Warhol in days gone by. I am personally mystified why anyone wants to buy work by Jeff Koons. Conversely, I find the outlandish nature of Christo’s wrapped up buildings quite refreshing - they just don’t fit in the living room. I just have to shrug and put it down to the mysteries of the contemporary art market. Cars are SO much more straightforward!

Best to all.

Mark

3. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Albeit a successful con-man!

anunakki likes this.
  5. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Indeed. And with an estimated wealth of somewhere in the region of £270M he's living proof there are quite a few people who are easily parted from their hard-earned.

ross and jm2 like this.
  6. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    anunakki likes this.
  7. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    art is hype, that's all

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there is art, and then there is bs masquerading as art. damien hirst is a bs artist.

9. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Collection of dots!

COLLECTION OF DOTS!

Surely you can see the pink fluffy unicorn leaping through the rainbow formed by the waterfall that flows from the mountain?

No. Wait. Sorry. You are right: just some colored dots.

Can you buy them individually for $1500 until you have the complete set and are you sure it is not just the current range of colors in which you can order a Lamborghini?

Being a forger of art used to be really difficult. Now? Not so tough.

It is, however, far more pleasing to the eye than half a cow!

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have many friends in the fine art world. Some are finally starting to find some success (sales in the $30-50k range for a single piece) and let me tell you, its ALL about forming relationships with the galleries/dealers. Befriend them, give them free pieces, maybe help them in other ways, and after a few years they will start to mention your name to their wealthy customers who may buy a piece. That may lead to more pieces being bought. That may lead to you becoming a recognized and wealthy artist.

Or it may not...

11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The thing with Hirst is this, he is probably one of if not the best living artists. He got a bad reputation bc he had this big deal where he cutout all the galleries and took all his work straight to auctions and became the wealthiest living artist. The galleries didn't like it and his prices tumbled. I think this is at or near the bottom of where his values will go much like a stock thats been hammered. I think he makes a big comeback and ends up being on andy warhol level. He's legendary and his work is very unique and well known.

12. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    With all respect, I cannot disagree more. I and my entire circle of friends are much better artists than he is. Just my $.02

wax and jm2 like this.
  13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thats fine, thats just like saying other cars are better than ferraris. Damien Hirst is a ferrari, your friends may have better work but they don't have art selling for millions of dollars, he does. To say he's not one of the top living artists is silly, he basically started the whole young british artist movement. He made a big mistake but he learned his lesson and now the top galleries like gagosian picked him up again. When guys like Larry Gagosian are pushing your work to the richest people in the world, you're back on the right track. Lots of guys are better, I wont debate you there, but buying a hirst is still buying a safe, undervalued asset at this stage.

14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Um you dont know that. I travel in some pretty high level art circles.

Anyway your post didnt say his art was the best 'investment' it said, and i quote"he is probably one of if not the best living artists"

Thats a completely different thing than his art as investment. As far as investment I would completely agree with you.

Adamas likes this.
  15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thats obviously what I mean, obviously the dots aren't some incredible skill. We all know this, what I mean is his work is right there with Banksy as probably the highest in demand living artist. Tons of people do better modern work, for me give me Kaws any day but there is denying damien hirst and his popularity/investment potential. The way warhol multiple prints today trade for $70-150k, I personally feel Hirst will go that route.....probably after he dies though.

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The skulls and the giant formaldehyde stuff was pretty cool

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    great living artist?
    better than hirst?

try peter doig.

18. AshAP

AshAP Karting

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ash
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I bought this Damien Hirst 12 years ago, it’s called Bromphenol Blue and it cost me £7500 back then. I didn’t buy it as an investment, tbh it was the only picture that my wife and I managed to agree on for the lounge and we still really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MalcolmJB likes this.
  19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    How many are in that print? I'll tell you something I was watching the sothebys auction on prints the other day and countless warhol prints were selling for wild money, 2 superman ones he had that were 1/200 fetched like $150k+ fees. Im fairly confident now that Hirst has his past under control his work will make the same type of move down the road.

AshAP likes this.
  20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Those dot pictures look like the generic designs that come with picture frames you buy from Target and then take out to put in a real photo lol.

The last painting that really caught my eye in a museum was Dali's Inventions of the Monsters. It's at the Art Institute Chicago. Of course the bench you can sit on while looking at American Gothic and turning to your right and seeing Nighthawks from the same spot is pretty good. Those required actual skill to create.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hirst is an Illustrator.

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

22. AshAP

AshAP Karting

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ash
    I

23. AshAP

AshAP Karting

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ash
    I think it’s an edition size of 60. Those Warhol prints are stunning but crazy money. I remember seeing some in a gallery in Verbier about 6 years ago for 50k each and I thought that was way overpriced but they go for significantly more these days.

24. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I like it as well... get rid of that tall wooden thingy in front. :)

AshAP likes this.
  25. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It appears the you're referring to the *business* of art vs. the *quality* of art ('quality' here being used as the aggregate total of technique/skill, composition, difficulty of "reproducibility", and many a few more nuances).

I'd wager anything that any of the time tested greats could easily paint some colors circles, but that Hirst has a 0.00% chance of ability to reproduce any of their works.

Mike

anunakki likes this.