Sticky buttons | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sticky buttons

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bowtye8, Jan 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    two questions please:

1) has anyone tried the product listed in above bulletin (Lechler - Hydrocleaner) ?

2) to Dave - I assume that if ALL sticky buttons and sticky parts are removed the car is inoperable until they are put back. What is the approximate turnaround time for a full set for a 458?

thank you

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    First, Ferrari's bulletin is nothing more than, pardon the candor, total BS :)

Back 12-15 years ago, I put together a home theater system and the components are Rotel. I used the receiver remote a couple months before getting a universal remote. I tossed the Rotel remote in a drawer in my office (no sun, climate controlled house). A few years later (3-4) I had to get it out and it was totally sticky and I had absolutely no idea what the hell happened. The point is, the coating failed and was never cleaned with any product at all.

Please send me an email: dave.lelonek@**********.com

Thank you.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Is there no "standard" prospect/pricelist for each vehicle Dave ? F.i. for the 458 or 360 ...

Just make one page, all possible sticky parts on them and a price per item ?

That could help people/readers here imo ...

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Mel - We have individual price lists per car but I don't post them publicly as they can change.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    O.K. !

Good to know ...

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I understand, and hopefully someone will post some videos. This would significantly increase the market for refinishing services, since a major cost is the labor r&r. I’ll bet many can DIY if supplied with the instructions. I know I can, but would want to know in advance where all those hidden clips and screws are located.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree. I'm all for knowing where the land minds are :)

8. Bowtye8

Bowtye8 Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    How do you remove the 458 Radio(Navi) button and the Trip/setup assemblies? Do they just pop out...with some force?
    Looking to get these redone along with my P,R,PS buttons. AC controls seems still good. Thanks

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    They do NOT just "pop out" - see these photos - you can see the mounting tabs have screw holes..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  11. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    #36 sparetireless, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Based on my recent personal experience, if the part is metal, it can be cleaned with solvent and will be fine, no need to have it refinished.

If it is plastic with graphics, it may not clean up and may need to be refinished or replaced. I found some of the parts affected available on Ricambi which has good service, new price on certain simple parts was about the same cost $$$ for about the same money as refinishing, for example a new ash tray assembly is about $250. I was super disappointed by the quality and treatment received from Sticky No More. I paid my bill but I could have back charged the guy back on my credit card but that is not my style.

Stick Rx I could not wait for, he was running about 6 weeks plus at the time, based on his videos, might be the go to guy if you want the quality i was looking for.

One word to the wise, is that the time to pull the parts is significant and tricky, dealer cost to remove and replace is probably $2k plus. Do it yourself like I did, set some time aside, its a commitment to the project but I found it an interesting and frustrating project. The car is very well designed but it has go together with great patience. I now understand why some of the dealer prices are so high for labor. Fixing a door latch would easily be $1k in labor alone and the dealer would probably not miss you if you took the project down the street.

You have to love the brand to stick with its issues, great to be back on the road again for spring.

12. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    The lower clamshell is available new for not much money from Ricambi.

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Buying new parts only buys time. The new parts will fail again, many failed within the box.

Our coatings will never fail as they are hard touch.

Yes, we are extremely busy and right now booked solid until May and May is filling up. We are growing at a rate much greater than we can increase our capacity. We did bring on another guy yesterday and he looks promising.

No cleaning, decals or paint masks from Sticky RX, only crisp, vibrant, laser etched graphics and hard touch coatings that won't fail.

14. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Its Really only chemical for cleaning inside .Not humidity,Not Sun ,not heat!
    10 years Ago i cleaned the airoutlet ,switches and everything what have black color inside on my 348.after 2 month everything was sticking.
    The cleaner was Amoral cleaner.do Not use any cleaner for ferraris.take only Destillation water.thats it.

Makuono and Melvok like this.
  15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not true.

Below is a remote from my Rotel home theater. After a couple months of use, it was replaced by a universal remote and sat in a drawer for several years until I need to do something my universal would not do. This did not see sun, humidity or any chemicals to clean.

Melvok likes this.
  16. Bowtye8

Bowtye8 Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    Is there a website on removing some of these parts. I am pretty good...To be honest I have not investigated it to much just yet.
    But I would like to have my "A,R,PS, radio, main setup(trip) buttons redone or purchased.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Give me a call 716-553-6130 or send me an email dave.lelonek@**********.com

Thank you.

18. SteveRI

SteveRI Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Providence RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is Ferrari still using this soft touch material in its interiors?

If not, when did they cease?

If they are still using it, WHY?

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, they are still using them.

My suspicion is:

1) When new, they are very nice and self healing to a degree (from mar)

2) The coatings are rather thick, they self level and hi defects in the molded parts.

20. SteveRI

SteveRI Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Providence RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've got a pretty high tolerance level for this kind of thing, hand-built cars, crafted with precision but having unique "personalities" and quirks. Comes with the territory, right? The Lotus guys say TADT - they all do that. Good and bad. Ying and yang

But ... whoa, I'm sorry, this is beyond absurd. Selling six figure cars with known problems that cost five figures and weeks of downtime to remedy? When the issue could be remedied without compromising any of the vision or uniqueness or character of the car?

That's preplexing

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    5 figures? Nope :) That would be $xx,xxx.00 4 figures, yes, not 5 :)

22. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Its true
    But i know its your business to repair sticky parts.I realy like your perfect work.
    Pls dont Tell us that all parts gets sticky after some times

23. SteveRI

SteveRI Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Providence RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, ok then not a problem :confused: :)

Someone above mentioned $10,000, which does seem high

But still .... seriously? When I first started hearing about "the stickies" it took some time to wrap my brain around the issue, mainly because I had a 14 Maserati, it did not affect my car, and I thought it was some discreet issue from the past. Then I started looking at Ferraris, and after some research, I learned the problem was much more widespread than I realized.

Now I find out they are selling cars TODAY with the same defective materials people have been complaining about for YEARS.

My head hurts

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm sorry, it's not true and I provided you proof.

Even with R&R and the most expensive model, it would be hard to hit $10K. Close, but not $10K :)

25. SteveRI

SteveRI Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Providence RI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If anyone from Ferrari is listening, I have a thought:

UN-STICKY THEM BEFORE THEY LEAVE THE FACTORY. THAT WAY WE WON'T HAVE TO DISASSEMBLE OUR CARS AND DO IT LATER

There, I feel better ...

Baitschev likes this.