Tire Shine | FerrariChat

Tire Shine

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Omerta, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    New on the board here, I think this would be the right area on the board for this.

I've tested out a few products for long lasting tire shine. I wasn't happy with Turtle Wax products. The shine wouldn't last. I finally picked up some real cheap stuff, called 'Black Magic'. It seemed to work great. The shine lasted for about a week with continuous everyday driving.

Any of you have recomendations for a good tire shine product?

Much Appreciated,
    Omerta.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Personally, I'm not into super shiny tires... but if you are, the LONGEST lasting stuff is Meguires Endurance.

It blows away the competition, and just seems to last forever. It smells like grape juice, but I wouldn't try tasting it (think Guyana, if you're old enough). When I use this stuff, I usually apply, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then lightly buff off the excess. Also, before using any tire dressing, make sure your tires are actually clean. Use a stiff brush or something to clean 'em up.

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=G-74

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Stoner makes a spray that's pretty good.

4. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    Thanks guys, ill check those out.

5. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    I just went out and picked this stuff Up. The applicator is kind of nice to have. It smells very good! I remembered what you said and thats the first thing I did when I opened it, however, I also did not want to taste it. It looked good when I put it on. They claim the shine will last 3-4 weeks. so, well see how she goes.

Thanks.

6. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    I have not tried the Meguires product recommended by Daniel at Ricambi, but I tried Chemical Guys Tire and Trim Gel today and am happy with the results - easy to apply, nice dark appearance without being too shiny. Just thought I would mention it if anyone is looking to try a new tire black option.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I like stuff from Chemical Guys as well. Poorboy's World makes a nice dressing for tires called Bold N Bright. Smells great and will not sling. As per Daniel's recommendation, these things work well if you really clean the tires with a brush. For my daily drivers I use a spray tire shine from Griot's and it looks really good.

8. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Just saying. If any of these products has silicone the product will cause plastic and rubber degradation. Not something I would ever allow near any rubber or plastic product.

9. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
  10. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    From my personal experience, the best ones to use are the 'spray and shine' tire gloss products, but I seldom use them in this manner.

I will always apply the product to a foam applicator pad, and then apply to the tire sidewall. After about 20 minutes, I will then buff off any excess product. The shine does not last as long this way, but I always avoid sling with this method.

As further info, I seldom use tire shine, I prefer a clean and un-shiny sidewall. The only time I use it on my cars is when the tires are looking a little 'gray'. Maybe 1-2x per year.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I like the Meguiar's Endurance as well

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I use on occasion aerospace protection from 3m ..it looks good and actually protects

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

13. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I just clean the tires with Adam's rubber cleaner periodically, it removes the discoloration tires can get and leaves the tire with the original matte black look. Occasionally i will spray a light coat of 303 protectant, which has a UV inhibitor, onto a clean tire more for the protection than appearance.

PJxxx and jet like this.
  14. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    i don't understand the need to apply tire shine products. To me this is like the shake and bake stuff. It just collects dirt and grime as the tire rolls down the road.

15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Armor-All. Apply to a cloth and then rub on sparingly. Let it dry (less than a minute) and then buff off. It looks good, protects and doesn't look "fakey" as we used to say as kids.

16. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have used a few - Zymol Tyre, Gyeon Tire and Pneu by Swissvax. The Zymol Tyre produces a very flat finish and "clean". It only last a week or so. The Pneu by Swissvax is slightly shinier than the Zymol and produces a deeper black (looks nice). The Gyeon Tire can produce a shinier look if you don't wipe it off after you apply it. After 15min or so, I wipe the tire down and it produces a nice deep black. NOt real glossy but more of a satin finish. I have found this will last a couple weeks. But with subsequent coatings you will end up applying less less.

Overall I like the Pneu and Gyeon. The Gyeon will last longer than the Pneu but both produce a nice finish that isn't gaudy.

17. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
  18. Falcon7x

Falcon7x Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2012
    Flight Level 450
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Mudd by AMMO NY, not shinny, nice low luster, no sling.

19. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I believe armor all as well as many others are SILICONE which attacks rubber and plastics. Drys them out. Promotes cracking. Long term use is detrimental. My daily driver is a PU truck. Got rear ended lightly by another pu truck once at a stop light. Girl jumps out frantic thank god you have a truck. No damage right? Nope no damage. I'm so sorry I just finished detailing my husbands truck and I put armor on the pedals too to make it look nice and I slipped... Don't be that girl.

Dane likes this.
  20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #20 moysiuan, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    I have tried many products, and my top pick is the VRP Dressing by Chemical Guys. http://www.chemicalguys.com/V_R_P_Super_Shine_Dressing_16_oz_p/tvd_107_16.htm

Water based, no sling, can be removed with soap for a clean start next time you want to redo the dressing. Smells nice, and best of all can be used on interior plastics, trim, etc. You can dilute it with water for less shine, or wipe a damp rag to degloss a bit depending on the preferred look. Lasts for quite a while, maybe three weeks or so.

Many of these preferred products indicate that they are water based, which is true but the main ingredients in all of them are siloxanes (I think polydimethyl siloxane) which are chemically altered silicones. Some also include further modified siloxane polymers. Other ingredients include polyethylene glycols and glycerines. I think these are all safe chemicals, siloxanes are used in many skin care products although there is some controversy as to how safe they actually are. Best not the eat it, but getting some on your hands is not likely to be a problem. Some water based ones also use a very light solvent to aid the spreading effect, but flash off so quickly they don"t have a chance to degrade the rubber.

I think it is the solvent carrier in other silicone based dressings that can better bond the silicones to the tire, so they last longer. The ingredient is a dimethal silicone oil. But the bonding is in effect degrading the layer of rubber, so not sure why this stuff is even made anymore, I guess for some very long lasting has its merits. The silicone oils are cheaper than the "dry" siloxanes, the "safe" siloxanes are referred to as non migratory and will not chemically bond with the rubber.

The oil based ones that sling due to too much product being used with inadequate drying time
    can also damage he clearcoat on eg. a urethane bumper covering as the paint has a flex agent that can react with the tire dressing/carbon black. They can also damage the clearcoat on wheels. Really, just do not use them, only dealers that don't want to dress tires frequently while cars sit in their lot probably see the merit.

If the product is milky white (or coloured in some cases), it is water based. If it is clear it is oil and solvent based.

So the bottom line is all the water based dressing use the same major ingredient.

Oh and by the way, Armour All is fine, same stuff as in all the other water based formulas.

21. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    QUOTE="moysiuan, post: 145888532, member: 25783"]I have tried many products, and my top pick is the VRP Dressing by Chemical Guys. http://www.chemicalguys.com/V_R_P_Super_Shine_Dressing_16_oz_p/tvd_107_16.htm

Water based, no sling, can be removed with soap for a clean start next time you want to redo the dressing. Smells nice, and best of all can be used on interior plastics, trim, etc. You can dilute it with water for less shine, or wipe a damp rag to degloss a bit depending on the preferred look. Lasts for quite a while, maybe three weeks or so.

Many of these preferred products indicate that they are water based, which is true but the main ingredients in all of them are siloxanes (I think polydimethyl siloxane) which are chemically altered silicones. Some also include further modified siloxane polymers. Other ingredients include polyethylene glycols and glycerines. I think these are all safe chemicals, siloxanes are used in many skin care products although there is some controversy as to how safe they actually are. Best not the eat it, but getting some on your hands is not likely to be a problem. Some water based ones also use a very light solvent to aid the spreading effect, but flash off so quickly they don"t have a chance to degrade the rubber.

I think it is the solvent carrier in other silicone based dressings that can better bond the silicones to the tire, so they last longer. The ingredient is a dimethal silicone oil. But the bonding is in effect degrading the layer of rubber, so not sure why this stuff is even made anymore, I guess for some very long lasting has its merits. The silicone oils are cheaper than the "dry" siloxanes, the "safe" siloxanes are referred to as non migratory and will not chemically bond with the rubber.

The oil based ones that sling due to too much product being used with inadequate drying time
    can also damage he clearcoat on eg. a urethane bumper covering as the paint has a flex agent that can react with the tire dressing/carbon black. They can also damage the clearcoat on wheels. Really, just do not use them, only dealers that don't want to dress tires frequently while cars sit in their lot probably see the merit.

If the product is milky white (or coloured in some cases), it is water based. If it is clear it is oil and solvent based.

So the bottom line is all the water based dressing use the same major ingredient.

Oh and by the way, Armor All is fine, same stuff as in all the other water based formulas.[/QUOTE]

Armor All invented the dressing category in the 1960's, and was originally a solvent based silicone oil formula. Bad especially for for dashboard vinyls. The oils degrade the plasticizers which embrittles the soft vinyls. When car interiors were more hard plastics and tires did not last that long the problem was not really noticed.

They changed to the water based siloxane formula along time ago, but the product remains unfairly maligned.

22. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Carpro perl

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky