Corse Clienti event at Road Atlanta: | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Corse Clienti event at Road Atlanta:

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Mar 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The seven cars that ran yesterday morning were the six you listed plus 240. After 234 blew its engine, the other six cars (including 240) ran in the afternoon sessions until 240's late accident. I didn't go today; maybe someone who went today will tell us if 240 returned to action today.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The problem is that the 2001 thru 2004 cars all look very similar to each other. I compared the turn 7 photos above of Bud's 2003 car with the 2004 car and the differences are very subtle.

It's interesting that the 2002 and 2004 cars dominated their championships, while the nearly identical 2003 car in between barely won its. I think that the main reason had to do with tires.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah they do look similar and if you don't know the subtle differences. It's hard to tell apart especially when they are flying by!

I can at least tell them apart in photos regardless of small livery changes. It's easiest to ID them on the sidepods

Side of sidepod is vertical: F2001 and F2002. To then tell these two apart, the sidepod downslopes back more on the F2002 than the F2001.
    Side of sidepod curves inward on the bottom half: F2003GA through F2005.

2003-GA vs 2004 gets a bit trickier, but the easiest for me is to look at the engine cover. The back half of the F2004 is cutoff vertically and looks incomplete. The 2003-GA continues its swooping slope all the way down. Another clue is the bodywork around the exhaust tips are black on the 2004 and red on the 2003-GA (usually). There is a lot of variation of the attachments to the sidepods. Some ran "smoke stacks" while others had gills and even some were just smooth body panels

The 2005 is easiest to ID imo and has a wing that is black above the rear axle unlike the 2004 and a Mach 3 razor like wing as a chin. Of course those aero things are variable, but for the most part follow that pattern.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, Bud Moeller didn't break the track record, but his car did! Bud says his best time was 1:06, close to the old track record and not bad for a gentleman driver. But Marc Gene proved that the 2002-2004 vintage cars were indeed faster than the ones that came later. Congrats to all concerned for a record that could stand for very many years!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I know it's been a while, but didn't your friend's car set the track record in New Orleans a while back by Gene as well?

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Perhaps, though that is a relatively minor track with not much history, so this is more significant. Now they want to take the car to Laguna Seca and try to do the same thing there!

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I take that back - they already did it, same car and driver, six years ago! I wonder if that record still stands?

12. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Only saw a handful of personal F cars. 575, 599, 430, 458, 612, 348, 488. (There were 50 Porsche there easy)

Will try to get a couple videos up.

13. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Well Porsche sold 55,000 car in USA last year and Ferrari 2500. So that is a ratio of 22 to 1
    And if 50 P cars and 7 F cars were there that is a ratio of 7-1

Based on that the F cars were way over represented-as would be expected at an F car event.

So the numbers support what you saw.

14. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Yeah I’m aware as I have Porsche’s as well but would have been nice to see more local F cars given it was a Ferrari based event on a beautiful day.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    But that would require putting miles on the car. :)

All kidding aside, the event was not on a weekend so it is difficult for a lot of people to attend. I think Ferraris are treated more like weekend cars and would more likely have shown up on a weekend as dealing with traffic is no fun, too.

16. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Yeah. I was in debate as well but traffic in that direction was not bad at all. Glad I took mine. Great cruise on a Friday especially given how nasty it is today.

Hopefully I can make the next buckhead gathering to meet and greet a bit.

17. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Any body know the fastest FXX-K time?

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was also there on Thursday only with my 328, but I was moving around often enough that I was probably tough to catch.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Felice Giorno di San Patrizio! So several of us posted a lot of on-track photos from Thursday, but didn't anyone take photos on Friday?

20. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Sure did...I got to see it happen. Was held by a Indycar for a long time but Marc did one lap to warm up and then beat it.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One problem with F1 being a predominantly European sport is that we often see sponsors' names on F1 cars that mean little to us, since they don't operate in this country, and we wonder who these people are. It took me a while back in the day to find out that Candy made kitchen appliances, Haribo was a brand of candy (now sold here) and Totip was a horse-racing gambling system. (And I noted that the 2001 car had FedEx stickers, while the 2013 car had UPS stickers!)

So two names on these F1 Ferraris were TIM (on the F2001 front-wing endplates) and Alice (in the same place on the F2008). So does anyone know who they are/were?

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    TIM is Telecom Italia. Alice was their DSL high speed internet service and offered in other places like Germany too. Not sure if they still exist.

23. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
  24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Awesome pics! The LaF with winglets is the FXXK, full wing is the FXXK Evo.