Best Battery for my Mondial | FerrariChat

Best Battery for my Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by AAmsden, Mar 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AAmsden

AAmsden Rookie

Sep 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Guys,
    Is there any brand that I should look for? My batt is dead in my 89 Mondi and want to make a better choice than going down to AutoZone or Sears...
    Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interstate Battery

paulchua likes this.
  3. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I've had good success with dual-purpose marine batteries in my collector cars. These batteries strike a compromise between a starting battery (which can't endure many deep discharges) and a deep-cycle battery (which is more durable but doesn't produce the high current of a starting battery.) Another feature of these batteries is that they have an extra set of terminals -- in my case these are permanently attached to a cable and a connector, making battery tender connection a fast and trivial matter (I just plug the car in).

You might also look into AGM batteries, these are also very durable, although your charger/maintainer should have a mode for charging these specially, as their charging regime is somewhat different from a traditional flooded lead-acid battery. Incidentally, AGM batteries are specified for use aboard aircraft as they can't leak significantly and can be operated in any position.

Downside for both is these is cost... but I'm happy to use these as I typically get good life out of them in spite of the occasional deep discharge event. You should be able to get these at any marine supplier. They are offered in a variety of case sizes, and finding one that fit my QV was no problem.

4. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I drove mine to the starter repair shop and I got the largest one I could fit in the hole. It is an exide super something or another. I think if I put it in high gear the starter would get the car to 50 mph.

AAmsden likes this.
  5. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    For what it's worth, we use Interstate.

paulchua and AAmsden like this.
  6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I generally use the correct group #, perhaps a little bigger if it fits.

I like interstate too, but I do two things.

First, if I haven't driven the car in a couple of weeks, I hook up the battery maintainer. I have it hard wired for a Schumacher battery tender. Takes about 10 seconds to plug in. I also have a cheap battery maintainer/charger from Harbor Freight which shows how much of a charge battery has and when it is at 100%. That one has typical alligator clamps. I have a positive post underhood and just ground it to the chassis. Usually takes less than 24 hours to top off.

I also did the WR-1 Bosch relay to make starting easier. Car cranks like a champ since the relay is handling the electrical load, not the wiring.

So starting has not been a problem.

Regards,
    Jerry

AAmsden likes this.
  7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #7 moysiuan, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    thstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm-48-l3

I have one of these Northstar AGM batteries in my Mondial. My old flooded lead batteries, typically Walmart performed fine, but by their nature they did surface corrode the battery tray over the years. So I cleaned that up, painted with some urethane chassis paint, and use an AGM so no more corrosion to think about.

The fit was a tad big for the tray, so I used a small wood planer to shave a fraction off the plastic mounting protrusions you can see in the right lower side of the battery in the pic. I was surprised as the factory battery was a Euro group L3, which this Group 48 crosses to as well, but the side protrusions are solid plastic and no harm to the battery case for shaving a mm off.

The height 188mm width 175mm and length 277mm is about the perfect fit (275mm length would be optimal I think), you can probably do a tad more height, but the length and width are as wide as you can go. I am not certain if the side protrusions are included in the length calculations specced by the manufacturer, I think they are. In any event, you can check against these dimensions any other battery choices to make sure they will fit. My car is a 1988 3.2 Swiss model, maybe the US battery trays were sized differently, but I am pretty sure all Mondials through the t series have the same battery specification.

The Northstar one uses pure lead, so is more pricey than ones that use recycled lead or calcium alloys. AGM batteries are typically used on newer cars with start stop technology, and are overkill for our older cars. But if you want the best battery out there, with no leaks, this one is probably it. Price is not too bad for the long full warranty, and the likelihood of needing the warranty is probably lower based on what appears to be robust construction, although I have no data to compare.

Temple and AAmsden like this.
  8. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I fitted a optima Redtop 34R battery 2 years ago after having issues with the ABS black box sensing too big voltage drop and shutting down when starting and trickle charge it with a Ctek charger in AGM mode.

Jim

Karsya Eins likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I got a yellowtop, it failed in a year switched to interstate still good after 2.

Hope this helps

10. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Currently a yellow top with Deltran tender.

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    just a note to all, don't take my individual poor experience as a full condemnation from Yellow Top - I have some friends that had good experiences such as this - I just had bad luck I guess.

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Just go to Walmart. They're pretty much all made by Johnson Controls these days. Batteries are going to fail every so many years. It helps if you throw a charger on it once a month.

Off topic - I just picked up this really neat tool box there:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Keter-26-Tool-Box/26691224

Sears has the same one for $50 more. Although it does have a "CRAFTSMAN" sticker on it.

moysiuan likes this.
  13. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    I've been using an Optima yellow top for years. I parked my car in August, switch the battery off. Turned it back on a couple days ago, car started immediately.

14. Ptggdudley

Ptggdudley Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Kent,WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mine came with a optima red top 5 years ago and had the factory digital clock disabled to eliminate draws by the previous owner. Has started evertime and I don't use a battery tender.

15. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    Sorry for reviving this thread, but I was considering the red top 34/78 for my 89 mondial t, but aren't the terminals on the wrong sides? Will it still work? Thanks,

Geno

16. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Depends on how long the cables are. Generally both cables will not be long enough for each to reach the other side.

If you can, simply remove the old battery. Not hard. Then you can easily match it up at the parts store. If you can get a little more cranking power in the same ( or about the same) exterior dimensions, do so.

Regards,
    Jerry

ronfrohock likes this.
  17. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    Thanks. The one in it now is an Interstate replacement and I'm not sure it's the correct size. The hold down plate is missing. I have a new plate ordered. Anyway, I'm sure my neg cable will not reach to the other side. I'm curious what battery others are using. Anyone?

18. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a yellow Optima in my 87. I have the knob turned to off when not using it. I keep it on a Battery Tender Jr in the meantime, which is connected directly to the battery terminals. Through Optima’s website, I read the batteries should not be trickle charged with anything over 1 amp. So far, so good!

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Interstate. Tried the Optima thing - not a fan. Went back to the green brick.

20. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    gsfent likes this.