458 owners - what MPG are you getting? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 owners - what MPG are you getting?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Johnson12, Aug 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    MPG does not matter?

Tell that to Team Risi Competizione who ran out of gas at the very end of a race thereby losing what would have been a First place podium finish at the Petit Le Mans in Atlanta.

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't see any reason to criticize the OP's question. Obviously gas is a very small part of overall Ferrari ownership, especially new cars, but I'm still curious and I keep track of mileage of all my cars out of curiosity sake. My 328 generally gets better than 20. My 430 generally 16-18 (6 on track days). The '05 430 sticker stated 11/17. Our high altitude improves the numbers over comparable sea level driving. I have read that DI was supposed to improve the 458's mileage and I'm curious to know if that's really the case.

Dave

3. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...Gents:
    the condition of the engine will affect fuel consumption.

One of the largest factors affecting fuel mileage (besides throttle position) is the condition of the rings to cylinder bore.

Blow by the rings will greatly affect milage as well as the fact that most new engines come with full synthetic oil which will lengthen the seating in process.

I have my own ideas about 'breaking in an engine' which I will spare you all.

Addressing another aspect:
    I think fuel consumption as a function of power output is an interesting thing to discuss in this forum

And so do some folks in France...they run a race...called LeMans...? heard of it?
    One aspect closely monitored is the fuel consumed over 24 hours...

2 centavos

Makuono likes this.
  4. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Gas mileage matters to guys who intend to do long daily outings in places with few filling stations.

Someone asked about Porsche Turbo - my new S averaged 11.2 liters/100 km on a recent 2,000km touring weekend. That's amazing economy for a performance car.

5. jmlinmn

jmlinmn Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    MN, AZ, FL
    I'm always interested to see what performance cars are really getting. For instance, from experience I can tell you a 2005 Ford GT is rated for 21 highway and 13 city but gets well below that. On a recent spirited (but not hard) drive through some country roads I averaged about 8-10 mpg. The car has a 17 gallon tank, or about 135-170 miles of range at that burn rate. Good to know where the gas stations are.

6. 458Spiderman

458Spiderman Formula Junior

I read somewhere that driving an Enzo flat out, you'll burn thru all the fuel in just 19 minutes!

7. carlito458

carlito458 Rookie

Nov 2, 2016
    belgium
    Full Name:
    carlito
    The gas mileag , fuel consumption is important to know if your engine works perfect, or your injection systems work perfect.
    I ve had the same fuel consumption while driving normal in street as on track., aorund 6mpg, 40l /100.
    people laugh when you ask a question like this, but this is incorrect.
    I found the technical problem on the 458, no faultcodes, now engine is turning different, more power, and half
    fuel consumption ...
    so yes , its important to know ..

8. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    So many times I am asked the same question at the filling station ... "how many miles does that do to a gallon".

I now always answer by saying "about 5 tank fulls per year" .... Seems the most appropriate answer really.

9. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    oh my....the 458 is the only car that i own that i didnt ever calculate its mpg haha
    but i "feel" it's more economical than a f430 spider with the dct and 7 speed

10. ecadwell

ecadwell Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Bend, OR
    Full Name:
    Eric Cadwell
    My 2007 911 Turbo is E85 tuned and heavily modded to 800+hp and it still gets 20+ mpg when driven normally, and about 15mpg when taking a spirited drive. With that kind of horsepower, you can't stay on the boost very long, but still amazing how much better the mileage is than my 360 with half the horsepower.

I concur that mileage is important, and I'm glad to hear some folks in this thread answering the original question. Seems to be similar to what I'm seeing in the 360.

11. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
  12. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I realize this is a very old thread, but I am someone who definitely keeps track of mpg on all my cars. A sudden change in mpg always indicates some sort of problem that needs to be investigated. With that said, I have been extremely disappointed at getting 11.6 mpg in my 2014 458 Spider. I was expecting to get around 8 mpg so I am clearly not driving it hard enough!

stavura, Caeruleus11 and dustman like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In general on my Ferraris I get around 8. I can do better if I am causing for long distances on the highway, I think once I got a little over 20 in my 599!

14. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA

Agreed. I've had multiple 458 variants and my general impression is that you get a range of around 200 miles per full tank. I hope that helps.

15. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Precisely. Those who mock the OP have likely never driven their Ferraris on long road trips in isolated regions of the country, where gas stations are many miles apart. Maybe these folks only drive to Cars and Coffee and never put road miles on their cars.

Makuono likes this.