488 - 488 Pista Picture Thread | Page 29 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista Picture Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by -CD-, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thanks for the link. I've checked the article shared by @ingegnere about Ford's rims. They claim a weight of 18lbs (about 8 kgs), which isn't far off Koenigsegg's numbers (6.5 kgs). Carbon Revolution also says that their CR-9 wheels are about 40-50% lighter than OEM aluminium rims, a claim in line with Ferrari's (-40% compared to GTB standard wheels).

Here's the quote from their website (http://www.carbonrev.com/faq)

Q: How much lighter are they than my stock wheels?
    A: "CR-9’s are between 40-50% lighter than the OEM aluminum wheels they replace with no decrease in durability or stiffness. CR-9’s on a Porsche 911 reduce the un-sprung rotating mass by over 40 lbs. (almost 20kg)."

2. PiterSV

PiterSV Karting

Jan 6, 2016
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Piotr
  3. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I would nickname that beauty “The HULK”!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhn2000 likes this.
  4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely, I try to select the very best pictures and this one was clearly one of the best

5. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    ciaoooo LVP488....my great pleasure to meet you!! see you soon in some F events in France!! :::)))

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I would seriously doubt the software for the fluid control cares about the materials of the rims. The sensors work as they do and would run off the action of the speed of the shock shaft. If it moves a little faster then it should be handled by the standard control system. Remember, some rubber tires weigh considerably less than others and there's no setting for that. On a motorcycle you can better feel the results of reduced sprung and unsprung weight. There the suspension is also manually adjustable for racing in both high/low speed rebound and compression along with spring adjustments for race sag and static sag. The Pista is not a race car so no need for any such concerns.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Did anyone here see the luggage set for the Pista?

Thanks

Ciao

BaronM69 likes this.
  8. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017

yes...with IPad Pro :)
    grazie Albert-LP

ciao

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent question. I'm not sure what they are doing now, but on the 599 GTB in the owners manual I seem to remember a mention if you were to change between the optional run flat tires or regular you had to have the suspension computer reprogrammed for just this reason.

It may well require a reprogram if you switch between these wheels, or perhaps they have put it in the car's setup menu: select which wheels you are using. Its also possible they have figured out a calibration that is acceptable for both wheel and tire assemblies, or as you say, it self calibrates.

Its not just reducing unsprung weight from rebounding, its also less rotating mass. The net result should be that things happen that much faster and more precisely. Will a keen driver notice the difference? That is my question. I am leaning toward ordering both sets of wheels and running the forged metal wheels for the street and keeping the CF wheels for maybe a time in the future I want to change it up. I would like to learn some more before I make the decision which setup I would run for the street. But it is fascinating.

One thing I noticed on the OEM website for CF wheels, they have a video testing the wheels and they show just how much give they have. Its quite a lot more than I would have expected. I would have expected the wheel to bend slightly, then fracture. They really do bend, and then it seems they return to their original shape. Whereas metal wheels, even forged (which are best for this) will after some force, stay bent, or as I'm discussing it, they will become slightly out of round. This shows up as your car feels like its balance is off after a few years when you are driving over crummy roads many of us have. You don't have any obvious signs of damage, and you haven't hit any big potholes, yet, the car shakes at certain speeds. The standard cast wheels (this goes for anyone) are IMHO just too soft and prone to this. The forged are much better, but will still be susceptible to this. Not too hard to get your wheel and tire assembly road force balanced and that should sort it. But it does seem to me another advantage of the CF wheels is they would not be prone to this becoming slightly out of round over time.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic pics thank you!

Does anyone know what looks like either springs or some kind of expansion area on one of the headers does? It looks like its on both sides of the engine but only on the headers closest to the passenger cell.

11. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    That looks mint!!!! :)

12. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Those are bellows type flex joints. They are used to reduce the bending loads on the tubing which would exist without them due to thermal expansion on the tube and the fact the tube is basically constrained at both ends.

The fact that only the first branch of exhaust has this flex joint may be due to its particular shape or the fact that it is particularly long, so experiences most thermal expansion, or both ;-)

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    Not sure if previously discussed and apologies if so. What are the wheel finish choices?......Obviously there is silver and carbon fiber. Is there a grey/charcoal, diamond finish, etc? Thanks!

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  16. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    Thank you for the update! Will be interesting to see gold in the flesh

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

If I recall, the 458 Speciale standard wheels were five spoke in smokey grey as well.

18. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
  20. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    You need to see a 458 sitting next to a 308 in the flesh. There's no doubt about where they were drawing their inspiration from.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Inspiration does not mean retro. Retro is a tribute to the original, like the 2 GT 40’s

This is not a tribute to the 308 or the 246 Dino before it

22. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I didn't say it was 'retro'.

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes I understand. Others have since I posted there is nothing retro about this design.

There is nothing retro about this design.

Makuono likes this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I wonder if the weld joints are really going to hold up ?

25. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    When you order luggage set, is it like for the model scale you receive after you have sold the actually car or you get them early enough that you can use them???

of2worlds likes this.