Ordering Portofino Suggestions for colors and options | FerrariChat

Ordering Portofino Suggestions for colors and options

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Florida Joe, Jan 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    South Florida here so lots of sun. Looking to order the PF. Dealer is quoting 12 months delivery time frame. Can financially afford it but don't want to waste money. Trying to stay on a budget for retirement in 8 - 10 yrs.

Best suggested color for resale?
    Usually a silver guy but need variety. Lighter colors seem to show the car's lines better but want a sporty look. Just not sure about red.

Best Options for resale?
    Magnaride, shields, Appleplay and horse on the seats are must haves. Other suggestions?

Intend to keep for 3 years. Daily driver but only drive 1K a year. Motorcycle most of the time.

Thanks for your suggestions.

hyroller likes this.
  2. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    I would not buy the car if I was only planning on driving 1k a year.

Get an older used Ferrari.

j35217 and wrs like this.
  3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Your dealer will have many resale suggestions.
    My suggestions
    Forged rims are a must!
    So are the LED shift lights!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    300,000+ miles a year on a plane but only 1k in a car. The life of a traveling guy.

All my cars Beemers, Maserati, Mercedes all got traded in with less than 6 - 7k on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Albert-LP and uhn2000 like this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would add that the "SF Shields" are mandatory if you are worried about resale.

In general, it being a Ferrari, red will be helpful for resale. Many first time buyers won't look at a Ferrari if it isn't red. (They call it "resale red" for a reason). I happen to like the launch color of Rosso Portofino, but I think it is a special order paint and probably priced accordingly. For Florida I would not recommend black, but that is probably another safe color. Once you move away from these two you are getting into areas of personal preference.

My preference is the following two specs:

1- more traditional: Rosso Portofino, CF for the upper parts of the exterior (the little side "vent") and the areas around the rear lights but not the front splitter nor side rocker panels, black dash and steering wheel with shift LEDs in leather not CF, beige traditional interior no CF for the inside. Shields for the fenders, the forged wheels, and then Id probably check most of the electronic boxes, like for passenger display, cameras, hifi, etc. I like that stuff.

2- a little more modern, though probably not quite "Florida"- Bianco Italia (a kind of silvery pearl white- it will be expensive) with blu sterling leather everywhere interior and then the same other items as above...

I am torn between both specs but I am not ordering a car at this very moment.

No matter what you choose, congratulations and welcome to the family!

MalibuGuy likes this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #6 wrs, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    I just picked up my Cali T from it's first annual maintenance and spec'd a PF while I was there. Deposit is $25k delivery by end of summer is what I was told. I didn't do the deposit because I really want to see the car in person and I really, really love my Cali T HS. Argento Nurburgring looks great with red calipers and Nero interior, red belts and contrast stitching. I added Magneride, shields, full electric seats, the hifi sound system which is 12 speakers and I think he said 900 watts but it might have been 1500 watts. I also added AFS, homelink mirror and the light sensitive side mirrors as well and front and rear parking cameras. I did the bridge in CF along with the steering wheel. I chose the upgraded rims done in silver. Waiting on the PDF with the price to arrive by email.

7. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree the dealers know best what consumers want for resale.

IMO, it's not just the color but the COMBO. And there are some features that people really want like back up cameras, LED steering wheels, shields, parking sensors, and cruise control. I think now they offer Apple car play and my guess is a lot of people will like that option.

You can't go wrong with red or black or white or silver with either a black or tan interior. Probably 90% of the market will want one in those colors.

If you're really worried about resale, stay away from fancy paint jobs and carbon fiber doo dads. They will get you nothing in resale.

But, I would also look at it this way: You don't buy these everyday. Why not get what YOU want. Picking what YOU want is really most of the fun of ordering. You become the car designer and the car will always have your influence on it no matter how long it lives. If you think carbon fiber looks awesome (and it does) then get what you want and be happy.

Buy what you want. Its your money.

LARRYH likes this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Shields are a definite. LED lights on steering wheel seem very popular. I'd insist on backup camera/parking aids for a car in this price range. Keep away from "interesting " color combos. If it were me, I agree with g2g, for 1K miles per year, I'd get a Cali T HS. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Then when you're retired in 8 years, and no longer on an airplane all the time, buy the Porto follow-on in whatever spec your heart desires & drive the heck out of it!

T

10. bsawler

bsawler Karting

Dec 3, 2015
    Bay Area
    Backup camera comes default, front parking camera does not. Not sure if you care about that at all. Won't have the blind spot assist etc. other makers have.

11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    For the record, price on my spec was $274k.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow that's awesome! Congrats!

13. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I am used to the Mercedes electronics but as long as I have parking sensors and backup camera. I am good to go. 90% + of the time I have the top down in the SL so visibility is not usually an issue. Expect the same w a portofino

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    I guess it’s just me but I can’t stand the shields! Would pay to have them taken off!
    What’s the point of the shields? Everyone knows it’s a Ferrari without the shields.

NYC Fred, rocketman and Lew L like this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1

Shields are to make sure the people next to you on the highway know that you are driving a Ferrari!

I think many colors and models look better without them. I too would remove or wrap over them, if I could.

T

NYC Fred likes this.
  16. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
  17. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    You don't need to get the shields. Its an option which costs money.

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Good luck with the resale then. Unfortunately.

dustman likes this.
  19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Are there any no cost options?

20. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    PAC1 parking camera is no cost in the US per 2019 federal regulations (all Portofinos are 2019)

21. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    OP seemed like he thought shields were mandatory.

22. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Have to decide on a color. The “new Portofino red” is $21k. Nice color but that is nuts.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

lin likes this.
  23. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Grigio Ingrid? Looks great on the configurator, and I think it's a freebie...T

25. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida