Massive Kansas civilian aircraft boneyard | FerrariChat

Massive Kansas civilian aircraft boneyard

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bisonte, Mar 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I've gotten into the habit of googling tail numbers from aircraft I see in movies or tv shows to see if anything interesting comes up, and yesterday I noticed a Dassault Falcon (N121DJ) in the second Fast and the Furious movie.

Flightaware shows its last flight from KFXE to KOWI in Ottowa, KS on 1/24/2004, and the FAA registry lists the last owner as Dodson International Parts Inc. in nearby Rantoul, KS. I pulled up their address in Google Maps, and that's where things got interesting.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This place is huge, and absolutely packed with mostly detached airplane fuselages and wings. There are also some helicopters and a few intact planes, all spread out over 120 acres.

I love that they have a JetStar parked out front.

I can't place these three. I was thinking that they were Douglas DC-4s and/or C-54 Skymasters, but the curved trailing edges on their horizontal stabilizer tips don't look right. Any ideas?

According to their website the huge buildings on the property are filled with millions of parts from the thousands of aircraft they've salvaged. http://www.dodson.com/

Anyway, just thought it was neat to see, and I bet that would be a fun place to kill a day walking around!

Boomhauer, energy88 and Streetsurfer like this.
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You should also look at White Industries. Very similar. I don't know which one is bigger, but Dodson is certainly a big one.

Also look at Pinal Airpark in Marana, AZ.

Bisonte likes this.
  3. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Right on, I'll check those out.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Puzzled by the much larger nacelles on #1 and #4 engines. Also he shape of the horiz stabilizer, like you.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They have the elevators, and maybe the rudder, removed. Also, some of the engines are present and some are not.

Bisonte likes this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    They look like Canadair CL-44's recipe powered.

Bisonte likes this.
  7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

And ailerons. Yes, saw that... the center plane appears to have all 4 engines.

8. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    Fuse too short to be CL44 (from a former CL44 pilot)

Bisonte likes this.
  9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Kingman Airport, Kingman AZ has a huge reclaim facility as well...

Bisonte likes this.
  10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Odd planes I didn't know existed...

While looking at 4 engined aircraft to try to get an idea on those 3 planes, I found 2 I'd never heard of before. Search...

Beech Model 34... 4 engine, high wing, Vee tail.

Cessna 620... a 4 engined Cessna 310.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think they're Vickers Viscounts...

12. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I think that is a much better suggestion than the Lockheed L188 Electra I was going to put forward. I was not happy with my idea as the noses appear to be the wrong shape. Viscount is much better in that respect. I was working on the basis that they would be American!

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember that Capital and later United flew Viscounts in the U.S. But to me those nacelles look too fat for Rolls-Royce Darts. Otherwise the dimensions look about right. And the wings are too long for Electras.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Viscount was my first thought, (I flew on one - Continental) but the engine nacelles are not even close. Viscount's Dart's are almost entirely underwing, Very little above.

So, no.

Even checked the Vickers Vanguard... nope.

15. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I think they are DC-6/C-118 Here is an image showing a mix of DC-4's and 6's in that field.

the DC-6 has a more tapered nose and rounded horizontal stab along with a unique shape at the tail. If the elevators were in place it would be more noticable.

Bisonte likes this.
  16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's probably it. The missing control surfaces in the overhead shot distorted the appearance of the aircraft.

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Don't forget the DC-3.... :)

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Are airplane wrecking yards profitable? How would one get into such a business. Not that I would, but it' a curious business to me.

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    IIRC AMARG for every $ spent they save the taxpayers $4. I am sure that a civilian boneyard can be just as profitable as well. Not only are they parting out an aircraft but also recycling the metals and such that cannot be resold or refurbished. The biggest issue is the paperwork involved with salvaging parts IE time the part has in operation, time before next overhaul, Etc.

Bisonte likes this.
  20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cool video..

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It sounds like the commentator should have some lessons in the way a gas turbine operates.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As someone who worked on the F-14 program three times during my time with Grumman, this one is painful to watch. Those machines almost seem like living creatures from the prehistoric era!

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I always feel bad when I think of the B-17's and B-24's that were chopped up after the war when so many of them were living memorials of the brave souls and aircraft that did so much. I did a painting of " Ole' Miss Destry" that flew 138 missions without turning back. Then " Knockout Dropper", a B-17 F that survived the worst period , 1942-43 ,with a record number of flights. They were destroyed by the US after they couldn't be killed by the Luftwaffe.They should have been saved for all to see what the Air Force crews and airplanes accomplished.

24. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    My husband and I knew about the place in Ottawa, Kansas, because one of his friends had worked there for a while. But while on the way to the Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival last fall, we actually drove past it. It was so very odd to see tail fins (that's probably not the right term?) of jets sticking up above the Kansas prairie!!