Adjustments for tall drivers | FerrariChat

Adjustments for tall drivers

Discussion in '612/599' started by Skidkid, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Looking for some feedback from someone who has taken the seats out of a 599.

I am tall, like many here. I have been in a few 599 and they are a little short for me. I don't mind reclining the seat some but when I get to where my head clears the roof it hits the integral roll bar. It is close so I don't need much to make it work for me.

The question is about changes that can be made to the seat height to accommodate tall drivers. I am not talking about 'use the electric seat to lower the height'; I have tried that and I am a master of fitting in small cars. Are there spacers under the rails that can be removed, or even a couple of washers? Are the seats in the HGTE different, possibly a little lower?

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

2. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    I’m 6’5” and just picked up a 458. I had to go CF race seats to fit but I fit very well in 599’s with the racing seats as well. What seat types have you tried? You must be 6’7”+?

I’m in the market for an HGTE 599 also.

3. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    FWIW - Budget considerations limited me to pre-owned so I flew to a large dealership where there were multiple options available. I thought I would be a 430 customer but quickly ruled that out (and all the other mid-engines). I'm 6'4" with long legs and prefer an "arms out" driving posture. I found the 612 to be a far better fit for me than anything else not to mention the fact that I didn't have to lower myself within 4" of the pavement and thread my legs under the steering wheel.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I am 6'6". I have a 360 Spider but I am running 458 CF seats; head BARELY touches the top and only just my hair so not as issue. I tried a 599 or two with stock CF seats, I couldn't get a good adjustment for the seat. I am hoping that the HGTE seats are different but thought I would ask here. There may be some other minimal adjustments possible by taking things apart, hence the ask. I get the idea of a 458 but I am thinking more GT this time. I don't mind flying to wherever to check out a car. I guess I need to go see a HGTE.

5. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Aren’t 599 HGTE seats the same as 599 carbon fiber seats just with alcantara inserts (and Handling GTE badging 99% of the time)? I do know you could get Daytona’s as an option with HGTE option but assume that’s rare to find someone that did it.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You might also consider a 612... at least test drive them back to back, if you can. I'm 6'5" and the 612 is very comfortable for me (less so for anyone unfortunate enough to sit behind me!).

dgi, RonH, clonmeliw and 1 other person like this.
  7. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    6'6" here and I had to give up a F430 stick as it was unbearable after a two hour drive.
    I moved into a FF and love it for it's space. I can wear a helmet with lots of clearance to spare and hit the track.
    I did miss the visceral feeling from the F430 so I bought a F1 360 Modena with CF seats to add to the stable. If fits great but I needed to make a base for the seat that is 1" up at the front and allows the seat to go back the 3" available behind the seat. If anyone is interested I can take a picture to show but not until next week when I'm back from vacation. It is the most comfortable feeling to have support under your legs as the electric and manual seats do not tip the front up far enough for a guy with a 36" inseam.

8. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    I’d like to see how you did this for sure.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Interesting idea. I have a 35" inseam so I use the extra space to recline the seat a little giving me more head room. Personally, I don't like the 360 CF seats because they make my back hurt. I have 458 seats; they sit lower and have a more straight back. Plus, I have manual seats so no need to make room for motors or any of that stuff. (to clarify: those are in my 360 so we are slightly off topic).

10. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I'm 6'5" and own a 612. When I did the full (and well documented) rebuild from a hydrolocked motor situation, I also decided to put some spacers under the two front mounting locations on the front seat (maybe about 1/2" spacers).. This largely resolved the annoyance on NOT having the back of my legs (closer to my knees) make contact with the seat (if that makes sense). I am a bit on the skinnier side so not sure if other tall guys have had an issue or concern with that or not.

I just picked up an FF and am overhauling that as well (interior saw water in Cleveland flash flood). I almost have it road ready and can't wait to get the interior back in it and try it on for size and performance!

- Jason

dgi likes this.
  11. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    It will fit you like a glove although I was thinking of tipping the front of the seat a bit. Now that I'm back I will be posting the pictures of my seat bracket that is safe, effective and visual appealing as much as any after market or home made piece can be.

12. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
  13. Babba Booey

Babba Booey Rookie

Oct 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Smith
    I'm about to buy a 612 and need the seat to recline back more than it does. I'm in a wheelchair and need the space to bring my chair across my chest and into the back seat.

Any idea if I can get into the recline mechanism and make it recline more?