Mondial 3.2: What is the difference between A/C and A/E switch settings? | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2: What is the difference between A/C and A/E switch settings?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Charlemagne, Mar 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    It seems that both activate air conditioner, at least in my 87 3.2 coupe. I think AC is recirc and AE is outside air. Which is weird -that means you can't just vent outside air (unless it is cold and you are running heater). Manual says little about the distinction. Thanks!

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    A/C = airco, A/E = normal heating (Aero Economico or something)

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    #3 StuR, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Always thought it was Air Environmental, on the basis of knowing no Italian, but remember that’s ‘Ambiente’ (or similar). The effects the same: one does slightly off hot, the other a luke warm - or is that just mine?? (In fairness now works ok after change of gas type and recon)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    I have old AC coolant system - no leaks, blows cold. But it seems to be active with either A/C or A/E...perhaps I am mistaken.

In past, before AC recharge, the orange a/c warning light next to shift gate would come on if pressed either AC or AE. But the warning light would turn off when I rotated the temp rheostat from blue to red (heat). Which tells me the compressor/coolant is not running at that point. Of course now the warning light does not illuminate since the recharge.
    Again, it seems there is no "ventilation" setting using outside air without the AC kicking in (aside from lowering a window!)...at least in my car - maybe this is just Ferrari charm.

5. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Benefit of the manual - E = exterior. Fan for external ventilation is always on unless stop button is engaged. In that way you have venting. The AE is then the ability to power that up and add heat. Button 50 lets you shut down he whole lot and turn fan off.
    This does not stop air con and heating if the temp controller is set in a high enough position (relative to ambient). Does that help?

6. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
  7. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Hope these are readable...

8. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Hello, thanks, helps a little...
    So, STOP shuts everything off but outside air should ventilate cabin. Then if I choose A/E, I can hear or cool that outside air.
    But when STOP pressed down, I do not believe anything works - the rheostats for fan speed and air temp are not active with STOP button pressed down.
    Also, I feel no air flow with STOP pressed and vents open.
    But again, the tubing circular vents barely move air anyway...in my car anyway.

9. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Yep. Stop means No! And ’E’ (on the switch) probably means exterior! Does this mean that you don’t have the owner manual?

10. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Rookie

Dec 20, 2014
    Ha ha - No no, sir. I have all manuals books tools and old parts as well as the parts manual. The owners manual doesn't say at all whether or not the AC compressor runs on A/E. I thought A/E was just outside air vented in without cooling. Again, when STOP is pressed down there is no fan or any air...in my car anyway. Thanks

11. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Your welcome. Easiest way is to press the buttons - and look at the compressor. Mind you, they built some with a mind of their own. My UK climate means AC is the least of your worries.

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I always thought AC is the air conditioner on with outside air sucked in, while AE is the equivalent of recirculation, sucking inside air. No air comes through with the system off. when either other setting is pressed, the fan control dictates the air flow (from low to high but never actually off) while the temperature control dictates the compresssor kicking on or off to maintain the a set temperature.

13. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
  14. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
  15. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    As per the service manual, pretty comprehensive.