488 - 488 Pista Picture Thread | Page 13 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista Picture Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by -CD-, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Interesting, the sizes for the 488 GTB are the same as for the 458 Speciale - the PSC2 of the Speciale (although used for track timing on the 488 GTB) were not homologated for the GTB because they did not have the required load rating.
    The Pista being about the same weight as the Speciale, I guess it may use off-the shelf Speciale PSC2 - but I wonder if the Pista tyres will be identified as specific (probably they will, to introduce a newer compound).

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Caeruleus11 and red passion like this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Yes, they are exposed carbon fiber, therefore, having a dark grey/at times blacksih hue, depending on the light. I love carbon fiber, generally, but I'm just not a major fan of very dark rims.

jm2, Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When Chevrolet introduced the carbon parts on the Corvette it required a special paint. This was needed to keep the parts from turning yellow in the sunshine. That paint was extremely expensive. I wonder how the manufacturer finishes these wheels for Ferrari? Especially considering carbon brake temperatures...

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Will be interesting to learn. I’m relieved the look doesn’t appeal to me because if it did I’d pay the premium and get them. Whew.

JagShergill likes this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Have a look on the inside of the wheel, it appears to be either painted grey/ silver or there is some kind of liner. Maybe this is for heat reasons?

ingegnere and of2worlds like this.
  7. cpd1

cpd1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    C
    Agreed, probably a heat shielding paint but not sure it is a good look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I see that. Interesting. How do others feel about them? Do you think they look good enough to justify the price?

9. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think something much more mundane; simply protection for the wheel while in transit from Italy to Geneva!

Melvok likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Just like in the past the 'loaded' Pista will need these options; especially the wheels and probably some sort of factory stripe package. Without these options they will be judged rightly or wrongly as second tier cars...

12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I suppose that is just as reasonable, however, I don't quite buy it for 2 reasons:

1- I heard something about some kind of protective insert.

2- If it was for transport reasons, they would have taken off the inside before mounting the wheels/ also would have had wrapping on the outside.

I think they look great- for CF wheels. I don't fully understand all of the limitations on making CF wheels, but, I know it must be tricky as its now just gaining some traction in production cars. I think the forged wheels look prettier. I also agree with CH that the cars with wheels and stripes will likely be seen as the "correct" setup for the Pista. Though, I think if the Factory wanted every car to have a stripe, they would require it, so I think the choice is more a question of personal style. The wheels provide a performance advantage. I would be leaning toward stripe and ordering both the CF wheels to be kept in storage and the metal wheels to be used on the road as I just think they are prettier but this way I would have the option to switch between them.

-CD- and of2worlds like this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I suppose I'll just have to wait and see how I feel about them in person. While striping never appealed to me, I could change my feeling about the rims. Has anyone been given any sense of MSRP and options costs yet?

14. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    The tires are marked K2 from what i can see on my pictures.

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    CF wheels are super light , look light to dark grey depending on how light hits them but they don’t Handle heat well so need a metal centerand/or shield since the rotors and spindles can get to the melting point in heavy use. I have them on my 1299SL and they look stupendous especially as you get closer and see the CF pattern.
    My biggest concerns have been with cracking if hitting potholes but frankly that has happened with forged aluminum and titanium rims I had on previous cars. Soft suspension setting for the street would be a must

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  16. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
  17. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Musicman and ingegnere like this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #319 ingegnere, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Correct.

Per this article in R&T on the GT350R CF wheels have exterior coating for UV protection and heat reflective coating on inner barrel for heat protection:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a26046/fords-carbon-fiber-gt350r-wheels-use-nasa-technology/

Because of this, surprised to see bare CF on the face of wheel (unless clear coat is UV protection enabled) also because exposed weave on the complex shape looks so fussy. And they look kind of greenish. They need to be painted... silver.

Alloys look very nice.

Camlet1 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  21. bob_Uk

bob_Uk Karting

Oct 13, 2016
    Not sure how Ferrari does it, but a neighbour has a McLaren with a stripe. As it was explained to me they paint the whole panel, scrape off the paint and then paint the stripe to ensure that it is flush with the other paint. It is very expensive to repair for this reason. Can anyone confirm this is the way these stripes are added?

22. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    Similar if not the same specs, but different cars.
    This future Pista owner was at the factory today morning for spec his car.
    Owner removed this and another pic (showing the carbon fiber wheel) after the they went viral before the official worldwide launch.

That picture does not belong to @e.milanodesign.

23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Right, that pic looks legitimately like the design studio next to Classiche department. I could have spent hours there!

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That's the Ferrari Atelier spec room aside the Classiche department at Maranello factory

Ciao

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Because the Cup 2 is a less extreme semi slick tyre than the Trofeo R and thus more usable in the wet.