Dad Getting 488, Son Getting License | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dad Getting 488, Son Getting License

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Napoli, Feb 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    The perfect son!

2. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I bought and sold Corvettes in high school with my own money, and got to drive them. I was an avid autocrosser, as that was as close to racing as I could possilby afford. I was responsible, a great student, and good driver. I still made some bad decisions in those fast cars, that could have had bad outcomes.....

We have family friends, who's younger son watched me do the cars. He wanted to do the same. His Dad helped him get an M3 in high school. He was responsible, great student, etc. He lost control of that car, and wrapped it around a tree. He was in a coma for over a year. He never recovered. His parents and family have never recovered from it either. Beware.....

I spend a lot of my spare time club racing, so I'm not risk averse, but I'm certain I would not let my young kids (who love cars) drive my fast cars alone.

3. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I would not let any kid in a very high performance car on their own. Once they are out of your sight they have way too much peer pressure to drive fast, drive high or drunk etc and it will generally end badly. They will also encounter a ton of ill will from other kids and their parents and road users. My daughter goes to a high end private school and in the last 10 years one kid died taking his parents 430 for a joy ride and another was given a Corvette as a first car and died. When my kids get there first car it will be a reliable used sedan or similar.

4. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    You said he was fearless as if that was a good thing - it isn’t! This is one of the reasons we sadly lose so many young people to car accidents.

Napoli likes this.
  5. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I said he was fearless because he embraced it and drove with confidence and aplomb. No launches, wheelies, donuts or drifts. Yes, a good thing.

6. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    I wish you good luck with it!

Napoli likes this.
  7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Thanks.

Can’t envision a time when he will drive the 488 sans a parent present. Certainly not as a teenager.

BlueIn2Red likes this.