Possible move to IOWA | FerrariChat

Possible move to IOWA

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by topcarbon, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I noticed that IOWA is not listed in any section so I assume this is the place.
    I am possibly moving the cars (Ferrari and Lamborghini) to Southwest IOWA.
    Whats the car scene like out that way?
    I will be 30 minutes from Omaha, 45 minutes from Lincoln, and 90 minutes from Des Moines.

Enthusiastic positive responses encouraged.

2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    oops, just saw the IA location.
    well, I will be closer to Omaha then Des Moines

3. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Welcome!

I'm from Omaha. The last few years there has been an excellent exotic-car gathering, usually the first Saturday of the month during the warmer months, at the Pinnacle Bank parking lot at 180th and Dodge in Omaha. Search for "West Omaha Euros and Exotics" on Facebook.

There's also a cars and coffee type event every Saturday morning at the Hy-Vee parking lot at 156th and Maple in Omaha. Search Coffee Cruise Omaha.

There's other events, such as the annual Ice Cream Cruise - it's a sort of run-what-you-brung event and so many people show up it's overwhelming - and I know Lincoln and Des Moines have some cars & coffee type events, but I haven't been to them.

There's an annual road rally event called the MidCoast Rally out of Des Moines.

4. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #4 NE550, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Welcome to the 'hood! I'm in Omaha, too. As Julia says, there's a pretty active euro/exotic scene around here.

In addition to her mentions, there's a great euro car show & shine each Sept at the Lauritzen Gardens botanical gardens. Really nice low-key event and the weather that time of year is usually ideal.

If you're into tracking your cars, there are several "local" tracks...Raceway Park of the Midlands (RPM) right off I-29 near Glenwood, IA is just 15 min south of Council Bluffs, IA (across the Missouri River from Omaha) and is a decent 2.5 circuit that hosts a lot of local area club events. Motorsports Park Hastings in Hastings, NE is a nice little track about 2.5 hours west of Omaha, also hosts many club track events. And there's Heartland Park in Topeka, KS about 3.5 hours to the southwest, an excellent road course that is also "home" to the SCCA.

If autocross is your thing Lincoln Airpark at the west side of the Lincoln, NE airport (about 50 miles west of Omaha) hosts many autocross events, including the annual SCCA national autocross championships.

There are some good driving roads in western Iowa, too. County road L34 that goes from Council Bluffs north through Woodbine, IA is very a nice rural undulating road tracing through the beautiful Iowa Loess Hills. That's where I usually take my 550 Maranello out for a little exercise now and then.

Downside around here is that the driving season pretty much ends from Nov-March as winter weather sets in.

Overall though, plenty of fun car stuff going on and not a bad place to get out enjoy your cars. Look forward to seeing you soon!

5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Thank you both for a glimpse of the car scene.
    Looks like I am going a little north to Milwaukee.
    The good part is everything is relatively close.

6. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    If you are ever up for a drive to Omaha, please let me know. I will be hosting a Cars and Caffeine event all summer and a Countach would be an amazing addition to the show. Thanks again!