Two stories.... | FerrariChat

Two stories....

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Part Time, Feb 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    So, about a week ago I saw on ebay someone had 2 window regulators and the wiper linkage for our cars up for bid....I watched for awhile and then realized the seller was 45 minutes south of me !
    They had a price of $200 on the parts, I thought that was a bit much because I did not really need them, I was going to clean/lube/overhaul the parts so they would be an easy replacement when I needed them.
    I put in an offer of $100 and got a message they accepted the offer, a few emails later and I drove to the shop to pick the parts up.....and I also wanted to ask them "where" did the parts come from....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gary

Stay tuned for ..."the REST of the story..."

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    I had GPS guide me to an industrial warehouse in Palm Beach County, no one was home at the front door so I drove around back where I could hear a VERY nice engine revving...a couple of guys were hovering over a Ferrari V12 in the back of a green sports racer, a fellow walks over to me and asks if I am there to pick up parts, we go inside and he gives the pieces, and then I ask him if he has the "donor" car with anything left....he sez he can show me where the engine and chassis went.
    We walk inside and my jaw drops....row after row of classic cars, 1 level raised on side by side lifts, another row underneath, Ferrari's, MB's, Porsche, Maserati, TOO many to look at, cars have signs and id #'s, 3 sections of warehouse, a garage section for service work, a lounge area, etc.....it was fantastic !!! he sez it's a collection belonging to one guy.....freak'in amazing....

THIS is a 400i frame, engine and rear diff....WITH a transplanted manual trans, modified torque tube and new driveshaft, ( donor car was an automatic !!)

And this is the racer with the 400 engine in the rear...

And it also got the 400 door latches...

And the release handles....

He said they are busy for the next week getting the place/cars ready for a VIP party, but I can contact him later for a tour....and he will ask his ebay/internet guy to send me a list of what he has left of the donor car because " he needs the room and would like to get rid of the rest of the parts " .

How about that !!!!

Gary

3. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Amazing story , and lucky find .

4. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Wow! What was the engine in the green car?

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    The 400 engine...he says above.

6. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    So that is 2 400 engines. Wonder which were the donor cars.

7. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    I kept looking at those parts saved in my ebay but never got around to msg seller as I need the wiper arms for my 400, I wondered why he only had a few random bits, now we know, interesting story, neat car

8. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Much like this,now late,very talented Aussie.

http://tomyang.net/blog/2012/03/25/david-levy/

9. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Back on line after working all day.....yes, it was quite a find...

Russ...the actual wiper arms were not with the parts I got, I will find out if they are in a container still or if perhaps they were used on the replica, stay tuned, as he told me twice he needs to get rid of all that remains. And it was this shop that sold 2 alternators from the 400 a few months ago, I saw them ebay but knew we can still get the Bosch parts and did not offer a price for them.

Yup, at least 2 400 engines used in that shop, I will try to get VIN #'s for the record.

He lifted the hood on the replica car, (sorry, no pic), it was a six carb engine that I believe he said they converted from FI to carbs, they shortened the frame to remove the rear seat area, built an adapter to fit the new Tremac manual trans to the original shortened torque tube and built a new driveshaft to the diff. They mounted a gated shifter out of a 3 series F car on the side of the tunnel, the interior looked just as good as the outside of the car.
    There have been MANY threads here on swapping out autos into a manual trans....this shop has done it, in fact he stated the auto trans is in the shop somewhere and available.

Gary

10. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    Gary,
    I meant the wiper mechanism in the pics,
    pity there isnt any body parts I need a hood haha
    its kool when you go to buy parts and see something like that,
    I went to buy some 911 carbs from a local guy 20 years ago and we have been good mates ever since,

11. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Russ....so you need the wiper linkage in the pic ?
    Ok, no problem, as I stated, I only bought these parts to re-furb them to make a faster job when I replace mine....are you in a hurry ?
    It might be a while, but I can put your name on them if you want them...let me know !

PS: there may be a hood, they sure did not use it on the replica...I will be getting a list of parts soon I hope.

Gary

rusty69911 likes this.
  12. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
  13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Gary,

I suspect the primary reason for being donors was because these cars were ignored for many years and so the resale prices languished substantially... in some cases running cars with needs were below $15K ... For the replica builders, sub $15K was cheap money for what you got... full running gear, suspension/wheels/brakes, electrics, gauges, interior pieces (seats and the like), etc. Buying these (Ferrari) components piecemeal would have been a lot more than $15K or so... and anything that was not used could be resold to further offset the replica build costs.

The sad part is that a lot of good and solid cars were lost. In fact there was a really nice 365 GT4 2+2 in South Africa that was simply purchased for the running gear. The fellow that eventually bought the car installed a BMW engine/transmission in it so that the car could live again. From the pics I saw the transplant went well and the fellow was careful not to butcher any mounts, etc in the hopes that a replacement engine/transmission could eventually be found. I would have bought the car if I could have found an engine and transmission, but alas, I could not find anything in a timely manner and so I passed. I wonder where the car ended up?

Cheers,

Sam

14. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    Yes Gary the 2 wiper levers and the wiper drive posts, Im in no hurry and Im in australia so I don't mind paying for packing on top of postage,
    would be nice to know if he has a hood even if its damaged, I would obviously have to organise other methods of shipping (I have a guy in long beach that can ship for me)
    Cheers Russ...

15. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    Sam,
    I posted a gumtree link for that car not long ago, wonder too if it sold, looked neat

16. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Russ, I will save whatever is left after I go thru my wipers for you, but wipers are a bit down on my list of things to do. I need to do brakes first in the next month or so, I have a local museum show on 24th of March to be ready for, then wipers, windows. etc.
    And a few new "How To.." threads to write and pics.
    I will find out if hood is available and let you know.....anything else you need ?

Gary

17. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    cheers man legend,
    no I don't think so, my father in-law knows the prev owner and he thinks he has a box of parts which may include thew wiper parts but I am having trouble getting him to chase it up ,he is quite a distance from me, frustrating...
    don't really need any other parts,
    hood would be nice but depending on price, may have to repair mine which will be a mission in itself,
    Cheers Russ...

18. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Hey Russ, is he close to Perth? might be able to help you out. I know Albany is a cut lunch.

19. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    haha Cmon DJ its not that far, heading home tonight after a week away, 4h 15m or a bit quicker if I have a clear run and the whistler on, back on track he is in mandurah, the car used to be owned by the coffin cheaters haha I think I can wait...

20. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I am sharing pictures of other gems kept at the Larry Wilson Collection from my visit a while back. Gary found out about it, as he mentioned above, from his mechanics selling off parts from donor 400i's which are being recycled as custom one-offs made from aluminum. Pretty neat stuff!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

21. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL

Attached Files:

22. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL

Attached Files:

23. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello all....I can agree with Otto, I have been to the collection twice now to collect parts, and have not seen everything yet.

On a second note, a couple of weeks ago, scanning through eBay, I came across some a/c parts for sale from this shop again that had been radically reduced in price. So much so that even without having a need for these pieces at the moment, I just had to save them from the scrap heap. Which I did, as the original asking price was $1100 I think, the new price was much, much, MUCH less.
    Here is what I got, if anyone NEEDS one of these, PM me, they will go into my shed as stored future parts, as I did confirm with the seller, the next move was "to the dumpster". (Additional pics and info available on request )

The radiator is a bit rough, the compressor and blower housing seem in better condition, however, if you don't have one of these for your project....
    Or if you are thinking of upgrading your a/c blower and want to avoid downtime to your car, build this one on the bench in advance and just swap it in.

Gary

24. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I recently bought a large amount of interior parts from these guys off Ebay. The items I really wanted have been shipped to me but due to the size of some pieces and the price of shipping vs the value of the Aussie peso, I decided against taking the larger heavier items. So up for grabs, with my compliments to anyone in Florida that wishes to collect, is a dashboard, the door trims, and the back seat armrest quarter sections. Message me and I'll organise with the guy there for collection. First in best dressed!!

25. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hey, Tim......sounds like we buy from the same seller, I was there last month gathering my 3 pieces.

I will offer to "store" these items for you or anyone else that needs them just to keep them out of the trash dumpster.

And, Tim, if you ever get to this side of the planet, I will get you in to see the collection at this location......go to the start of this thread to see a pic the NART reproduction where the drivetrain of the donor car, and several pics from Otto of the display cars is above.

Gary