F40 LM Restoration | Page 158 | FerrariChat

F40 LM Restoration

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 89forever

89forever Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    UK
    His car, his money..... in it's current spec he can call it what he wants....... he could even call it Matillda if he so choses and you have no right Barry to take that away from him.

I am grateful to Traveller for sharing his journey of his restoration of what is a spectacular car..... he has had no ulterior motive, nor greed or asked for anything back from anyone. Give the guy the credit he deserves and kindly stop trying to bring him down, it is his car.... If he were trying to sell it and pass it off as something it was not then fair play.... but HE isn't.

To be as kind as possible Barry and I am sure i speak for others now, you have said your piece, the early history is out there and this thread is better for it but just now shut up.... before this great thread gets locked

Jakuzzi, Finlander, NürScud and 4 others like this.
  2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    You appear not to have read/understood my posts.

Besides, if envy is the motivation, there are literally hundreds of cars to choose from on this site :)

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    4.5 years here, 7 posts, last posts 1.5 years ago. Not sure you are best placed to tell people to shut up on this forum.

I think the moderator @Rob Lay may have a more nuanced view :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    As someone who has been on the forum for while, doing more reading than posting I enjoyed this thread and I enjoy the contributions made by Traveller on the forum as a whole.

I agree with all of the polite parts of above, sure one is entitled to have ones say but unfortunately as has happened before a great threads ends up being reduced to something negative.

5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    In addition to your sharp spot, I think there is a possibility other original panels survived to now. Looking at the recent photos, for example the side panels still have the Pininfarina logo which I believe was deleted by Michelotto when they made new side panel for the LM to include the additional NACA duct at the bottom. There is an indentation on the panel for the logo so, easy to tell if the panel is from the road car. This means someone would have had to cut the extra duct on the current side panel, which couldn't have been straightforward. The current owner will probably know better. Not of any consequence, Interesting, all the same.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Traveller started the thread and is one that made it popular and positive. I would say your contributions have made it unpopular and negative. I think you have said about all you need to, so how about moving on?

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    after catching myself up with the thread I don't think there are any truthfulness issues with Traveller or other users. I do agree with you Traveller should request a thread title change and should change his profile. However, although a strong opinion of mine, I can't say I'm 100% correct on that view. This thread is many dimensions away from what went on in 0846 thread.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Agreed, I don't have anything else substantive to post beyond what I have already done, so all good.

rob lay likes this.
  9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    And, ultimately, Traveller gets to call the car his. Lucky feller!

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    And finally, @BarryK ,we get to the heart of the matter.

Although I have said it before, I will say it again. It's so simple, I really wonder what is going on. If only you would have worked this out with @Traveller when he messaged you, so he could make these changes, we wouldn't have had to go round and round and round. I think your refusal to discuss this with him when he reached out to you proves you have some other motive beyond accurate historical records. You refuse to disclose your motivation. I call it into question.

You have provided a lot of information. Some of which you give direct references. But not all. How can we know whether or not your information is truly accurate unless you disclose all the sources?

So we come back to my point: who are you and why should we believe what you say? Just because you have some information that lines up with some other information does not make all your information correct.

If you want to stand up to present 100% accurate facts, then you must disclose these things.

Otherwise, we should take your writings as the opinion of someone who has an axe to grind.

And,

Let's not put words where they do not exist. I don't see Traveller's comments as refusing to acknowledge the history. Traveller said it was called LM by others who were more qualified than he. And that was the best he could turn up.

If you would look one post more in the thread where you reference post #59, Traveller replied in the very next post (#60) : "Appreciated. I Understand this is a conversion, not factory, nor Michelotto."

While I am not a Ferrari historian, I do enjoy learning more and more history, and I enjoy the exchange of information. It seems to me this car began its life as a street F40, and thus, Traveller could have rightly simply returned it to street configuration. Where would the history be then? If he had returned it to the Hamann spec, I wonder how you might feel if someone were calling for it to be returned to its street form?

As simply a passionate Ferrarista, I have come to observe there is often some interpretation involved with Ferraris. As far as I can tell, Traveller found this car rotting, and with LM parts attached, and that experts called it as such, was a good basis for him to undergo the car's restoration/ evolution. He worked with all the right people. Again, as far as I can tell no one ever told him: stop! You are destroying history (as you are implying). I agree Traveller should be proud of his car's unique racing history, as far as I can tell, he is! I think if the information were presented in a different manner, we might all be saying "thank you", rather than caught up in this turmoil. I get the sense @BarryK , you think Traveller tried to cover this up. And this has offended you, and now you are here to teach Traveller a lesson. And I think you are using your information as a weapon to those ends.

So I see this as a case of someone likely being right in their facts, yet being in the wrong about how they have behaved. I think you have cleverly attempted to give us some facts about a car, but really this is a veiled attack upon a person.

I say that is not right. We should respect history of course, but we should respect each other as well.

Sunracer, NürScud, Cgk360 and 4 others like this.
  11. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I never ever noticed the missing indent for the Pininfarina badge on the lighter/extra NACA ducted Michelotto LM side panels! good spot.

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    As agreed with Rob Lay, I will not post more here. Thanks to everyone who PM'd me in support.

Jakuzzi, Makuono and Traveller like this.
  13. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    FChat member @ivo73 wrote "on the build sheet of 88779, Michelotto also wrote F40 GT/E" (Link - July 12, 2007. Came across his post yesterday)

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Profile changed Rob, PM to follow.

international blue and -CD- like this.
  15. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The basic "ingredients" appear to be rather similar to me but I'll leave it at that. What is beyond question is the F40 in this thread has been subject to a superb restoration, one we have been lucky enough to "see" and that's not something most of us ever get to see.

F140C and Jakuzzi like this.
  16. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  17. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    While Matilda sounds sweet, a princess should deserve a proper name: Lady Matilda.
    Just a joke ;)

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    A brief post to thank all those for their support after the journey turned somewhat sour.

The irony is that after all the information BarryK revealed, has, in my eyes, actually enhanced the history of the car. I was totally unaware that Peter Sauber had designed special pistons, a one off crankshaft and other mods included in this engine, all of which remain untouched today, and this maybe partially helps explain why we make so much power at such low boost.

Matilda, or Lady Matilda' journey goes forward in better shape than ever.

19. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    "F40 LM Matilda"

Again made my day! Thanks Tim! :D

Jakuzzi, F12KID, NürScud and 2 others like this.
  20. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Please delete if this is forbidden but I figured this would be the best place to share this.

I was one of the few fortunate ones able to purchase Tim's book about the restoration of this car a while back. I have since decided to downsize some of my collection and figured I would give someone else the opportunity to own these books. I have books 9 of 40 and opted to have the books signed by the team which can be found at the end of volume 2.

I am NOT looking to profit off of these. That is not and never was my intention.

I enjoyed reading them and loved looking at the incredibly detailed photos but figured its time I let them go. If you missed out earlier and/or are interested in owning a set please reach out to me.

Please delete if not allowed and Tim, if you wish for me to remove this just ask. Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. OBI

OBI Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    England
    Not been on here for a long time. Any update on the Evo video?

22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    THIS has always been my understanding since day 1 of this thread. You are 100% correct.

89forever likes this.
  23. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Thanks for sharing the story of the F40 LaMatilda! :D

24. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Tim, the one and only thing you should worry about concerning the past of your car is the horrendous fact that SHE SPORTED BLACK HOLES IN THE PAST

BURN THAT THING ! BURN THE WITCH !

Ahahahahahaahah

25. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    I came across this thread the other day after reading the posts about another Mototechnique car, the Dino V8 outlaw for David Lee. What a beast with that V8 and updated for the 21st century!

In the Porsche world I am familiar with, Outlaw cars (ie. heavily performance modded) are accepted as part of the 911 culture. There are some well established players like Ruf etc who have turned out amazing creations, some of which are highly regarded. People are not that worried about whether modding would reduce value because the base cars are plentiful and cheap. With Ferrari's there's a lot more debate about originality versus modding.

I thought the last few pages interesting and surreal at the same time. Clearly this car is an F40 outlaw in the same way as the Dino V8 is. Ok, it was first modified from road spec by Hamann back in the day and then by Mototechnique, but between them they've created something unique.

Judging by the posts, the car has never been an LM but has now been converted to look like one but with a lot of differences like the engine. Quite why anyone would want to call it an F40LM (even unofficial etc) I don't know, because if you try to sell it as one (which is the acid test), it would get called out. I remember a guy in Sydney a couple of years back who tried it with a Japanese F40 imported conversion and got sent a cease and desist from Ferrari.

So anyway, why not do what David Lee is doing and create run of F40 outlaw/evo like this car and sell to interested people? Or is it not financially viable because of the people prefer originality?