1992 Mondial T Cabriolet | FerrariChat

1992 Mondial T Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 88porsche944, Feb 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88porsche944

88porsche944 Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
    The right side rear "quarter window"(?) will not operate.
    Where is the fuse or is there one? Any suggestions on how to get the window down.

Thanks,
    Trevor

2. Bshortie

Bshortie Rookie

Nov 22, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Brian Short
    Do a search. This seems to be a common issue. First step is to get some electrical contact/switch cleaner and spray in the toggle switches and work the switch back and forth. This worked for me. Seems dust and dirt gets down in those horizontal switches over time.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    As noted the switch is a common issue. The brass contacts oxidize. Just be careful with electrical cleaner, it can damage plastics or leather coatings. Best to remove the switch, spray contact cleaner in liberally while switching back and forth.

The motors can fail, but usually give lots of indication, being slow or intermitant. If it just stopped working the switch is more likely.

4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    If you can reach the motor and cable a bit of WD40 or similar on the cable and give it a chance to seep in should soften up the grease that hardens in the cable.

5. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Did you try to open the soft top with the rear window up? The window might just be stuck or adhered to the B pillar seal. I ran into the same issue with my 86 Mondial 3.2 but I don't think it was an electrical problem. I started to open the top without opening all the windows and afterward I ran into this problem. I think the glass just got stuck in the rubber slot on the b pillar. Now I don't roll my rear windows up all the way. I leave a small gap which also leaves a small gap on the sides. Problem has not happened again. And with every outing I operate all the windows to keep the parts moving. Hope this helps.

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Get some "Deoxit" and spray the switches, then work them 50+ times, this stuff is magic in making contacts work like new. I thought it was snake oil until I tried it.

Made all my windows and anything else I used it on, reliable and faster. I don't make any connections now without it.

Replace ALL your old corroded metal relays with new bosch sealed units and ALL your fuses too, your electrical system will be like new. Guido has new fuse/relay units too if your connections are fried. You may find some melted fuses that are still letting current thru,don't be surprised.

But, then again, rear window problems in a Mondial can be murderous to repair if you have to replace parts.

Best of luck.
    Alden

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Worst case scenario you'll have to replace the full rear window assembly, but don't worry, I got plenty of those.

Checking all fuses and relays is a good starting point and let's hope that's the issue.

8. 88porsche944

88porsche944 Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks all for the replies. Quite a few issues, blown fuses, dirty switches etc.