My wife wants a Panamera. Any help? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My wife wants a Panamera. Any help?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bball16, Feb 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Nospinzone.....Why did you bother with AWD if you don’t drive it in the snow?

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It will be driven in snow, just not this winter. The car came fitted with high performance summer tires. They are not suitable for driving in snow, really not even suitable for sub-freezing temperatures. We still have her RWD Jaguar which are fitted with snow tires, so better to use that in bad weather for now.

Over the driving season I'll see how these tires perform. They are Goodyear and I can't remember when I had Goodyear tires on any of my cars. I have the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my Ferrari and I guess it was too much to expect that Porsche would put those on the car. If I like the Goodyears maybe I'll shop for a set of OEM wheels and mount snow tires. That's what I did with her Jag. It makes the seasonal changeover easy, and keeps her summer wheels looking pristine (the winter wheels really take a beating from the salt/chemicals they put on the roads here).

Otherwise in the fall I'll simply replace these tires with all season tires.

bball16 likes this.
  3. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'll be in the same situation. This will be her primary car and will be used in the winter.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Actually I wan to clarify one point I made.

-Upon every start up the car is in "Auto Start Stop" wherein the engine shuts down when you come to a full stop. You have to go into the touch screen to shut this function off.

On the steering wheel there is a button in the shape of a diamond. You can program this button to do one of a number of different functions. So you can program it to cancel the start stop function.

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good to know. Her MB has that feature so she's used to it. I hate it.

6. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    They are incredible cars, only one I wasn't a fan of was the hybrid. Other than that, nothing can compare besides an FF

bball16 likes this.
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    A bit off-topic, but.....the '18/19 Panamera Turismo has arrived, and I like/love it just as I expected, but @ $96K base, without any options (and you know how Porsche likes options) for the lowest spec 6-banger 2wd, it's out of my league for a DD. Not to mention that what I really want is>$180K.....ah well, off to make my fortune mining bitcoins.....

of2worlds likes this.
  8. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's what I like to ear. No plan for me for the hybrid.

9. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    People often over look them for whatever reason but that's going to change quickly I believe. Especially with the even better looking 2018 and the Turismo(which I love).

For a car that size to handle and drive the way the Panamera does, is just unbelievable to me. Truely a luxury sports car sedan that is entertaining and a joy to drive. Heck, even the trunk is enormous.

The ONLY thing I guess I could ever find fault with them was, was not having a three person bench back seat but rather two backs seats, with a devider. Makes for a nice luxury experience but not handy when trying to haul more than 4 people.

Post pics when you get it please. I'm sure your wife will love it.

LARRYH and bball16 like this.
  10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Panamera is best sedan ever made imo. Always had best combination of luxury, performance, practicality. Now it has the looks too esp in the wagon version. Just dont understand why they refuse to have a 3 seat rear bench.

bball16 likes this.
  11. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rear seat doesn't bother me, we are empty nesters. I still will have my MB truck if we need to fit another person.

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I bought my wife a panamera GTS4 a few years ago we have had it 3 years and it is fantastic the car drives great and has never been to the shop for anything but the annual services .the only thing is it is a 4 seater we are now finding we wish it was five seats but other then that we love it.. it has a tremendous amount of luggage space you would never believe what we have hauled in this car best of luck you will be very happy with the car..

of2worlds and bball16 like this.
  13. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. We are empty nesters so 4 seats are fine and I have a DD truck that fits 5. Everyone I speak to loves the car and the more I see the newest model the more I like the looks.

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bet a small adult or large child could fit in the trunk, there's your 5 seats! :D

15. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    You started this topic a month ago. Did you buy a car yet?

16. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I mentioned at the start that her current lease is up in the summer, so I was doing some preliminary research.

17. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    It's just called the Panamera GTS as all GTS Panameras have AWD.

18. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    You should go for the Sport Turismo as it is a better looking car with an extra seat and more cargo space.

bball16 likes this.
  19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Tell her my wife says the panamera backend looks like an uncooked chicken. That should just ruin it for her.

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tell your wife to look at the new models.

bball16 likes this.
  21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Finally picking up the Panamera tomorrow. Has anyone taken the scheduled maintenance? What's the cost? Is it worth it?

22. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
  23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    During my recent hunt for a 991 C4S, I had the chance to get a really good look at the wagon. I like it, has a real back seat though not as much cargo space as I thought it would have. I hope you enjoy your Panamera. Another note, I have used a Goodyear high performance AS on a couple cars in the last year, not bad. I am going to use the Bridgestone Potenza RE980's (I used the tire it replaced on the S class)on the C4S, as I don't intend to use it in the snow just the cold. My RR has Nokian Snow tires (since it only gets used in the snow), real snow tires are great in the snow, I cannot tell you how many times I've gotten the finger or nasty looks as I drive around other SUV's, cars, and trucks with the wrong tires. It happened earlier this month when we got that early snow storm. The problem with real snow tires is that they are noisy, don't handle well, and tread life will be compromised if you use them all year round. But if you want to get through in the snow, you need them.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Best Porsche sedan ever made? Bet you cant wait for Ferrari's SUV. I'm sure that will be the best SUV ever made too. Pfft!

Is nothing sacred?

IMHO

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    In what way?
    Handling?
    No, M5 and E63 run circles around it
    Comfort?
    No, too many cars to mention
    Practicality?
    No, see above
    Overpriced?
    Yes, hard to find another priced as crazily....