488 GTO ? | Page 155 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Which dealership?

of2worlds likes this.
  2. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    That's their way of saying if your dumb enough to jump through hoops for them then they will eventually get you one.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I think so indeed ... a lot of crap, go to another dealer :)

4. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    yeap... I was told this and I never even contacted them or showed them any interest in getting 488 light weight edition.

They reached out to me and told me that this was the criteria mandated by ferrari. Ordering one was guaranteed to get the 488 light weight allocation.

Many pages back, a few other people reported that they had bought lusso for this specific reason (many months ago but were told that this would get them the 488 light weight.

TJF likes this.
  5. Ivinsea

Ivinsea Karting

Sep 7, 2016
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ivin Seabrook
    I agree 100%.

My brother and I have a little race team with two Stohr F1000 open wheel formula cars (wings, 845 lb wet, 185 hp @ 13,000 RPM, 900 lb downforce, 3.0 lateral G's) that we race in SCCA......my kids cannot understand why I am not going to take my new 2013 458 coupe to the track. Firstly it is a street car on street tires, and secondly it is pretty expensive! It is just unnecessary to thrash that fine machine on the track when I have a purpose-built racecar that will run circles around it.

(I am overlooking the overhead of a tow rig and trailer and dedicated tools and scales and new slicks every weekend and all the maintenance......)

Sorry for the thread drift...

F2003-GA, Solid State and ScrappyB like this.
  6. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    #3856 njcycleguy, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    The criteria questions about allocations from different parts of the world (France, UK, Canada, US) - is pointless. Every country is different. Every dealer is different. FNA is different than Ferrari Asia or Australia. List prices will be different too. Continuing to wonder what's going to get you an allocation at this point in the game is likely a waste of time since you should know (a) what you need or needed to do, and (b) if you're actually getting one by now.

And yes, it's 100% true here in the US - you will need both a relationship with Ferrari and a dealer to get one - that relationship will either have involved or involve buying an FF, a Lusso, a 488, a California T, whatever the dealer and/or FNA wants you to buy. But don't complain - it's been like this for years, now every other manufacturer is jumping on the Ferrari bandwagon to do the same (think Ford GT, McLaren, and Porsche) - those of us who are loyal to the brand are afforded opportunities for the special ones. And if you think this is bad - imagine how impossible it is to get a LaF, or the next Ferrari Hypercar. For now, bite the bullet if you want the car that bad - and then likely wait for the second or third round of allocations to get one - or if that's not acceptable to you, simply get in line behind the many others who want one but will have to pay way over MSRP to get one on the second market a year after the car is released.

Feb 20th we will have most of the answers! Till then let the speculation continue on what's sure to be an amazing machine!

F2003-GA, Caeruleus11 and F140C like this.
  7. GoHardGT3RS

GoHardGT3RS Karting

Jan 1, 2015
    Germany
    I was requested to buy a 488 GTB to get a GTO. I declined.

Roland1688 and Shack like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login And don’t forget this criteria. It is my understanding this is is legitimate for consideration.

Sushistar likes this.
  9. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    W
    Well said - totally agree

10. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    FULLY max loaded, yes €400k - but will average approx €325,000 with most specs - imvho

chrixxx likes this.
  11. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I totally agree . Most of us lucky enough to have been allocated a car or those that wish they had don't give a monkeys about $$/ le - they love the emotion and desire it ..... saying 'over the top ' seems a bit disingenuous ....

Bhh and Camlet1 like this.
  12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’d be curious to hear thoughts on this. First let me say, I don’t flip my cars. I buy them for my pleasure. Still, strictly from an investment standpoint, is the 488 VS a wise move? Do the previous VS cars prove this is the case, or is the depreciation just less severe?

13. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Just the length of this forum confirms the passion - you agree in that case that you've also been over the top?? - as your previous posts suggest your extreme interest ( dare i say it - over the top ) :)

14. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Absolutely !!

15. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    still just 50% of a new, optioned 488GT3 :)

JagShergill and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I was told today that customers that participate in any racing program would be able to add additional racing inspired options to the car. Weird..... but source was very credible!

of2worlds and F140C like this.
  17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #3867 Traveller, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    I think you are misunderstanding me and would ask you to reread my posts.

I say over the top to describe the level of demand for a non LE car. If you compare the demand for this car versus the Speciale at the same time in the cycle, only a few years ago, a very fair comparison, I would describe it as being over the top. Maybe I should have said extraordinary or excessive, or abnormal, I didn’t appreciate over the top would prove such an affront.

I also went out of my way to exclude everyone on this forum, who clearly are enthusiasts, I am just suggesting that there are others outside of this forum for whom Ferrari’s are a means to make money and that this goes some way to explain the extraordinary demand and I don’t see why this is such a terrible thing to suggest.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I purchased my UK delivered 599 GTO in January 2011. I am her first owner and she cost me 330K GBP. By the end of 2011 she had lost around 10% of her value. People forget it wasn't until later the market began moving up. By late 2013 her value had risen to around 750K. Today she's worth above 330K but comfortably below 750K.

My point is from an investment standpoint, values on these go up and down like a roller-coaster in Orlando. And the post 2012 boom was c/o of QE, which is now history.

Absolutely, the VS cars, including I'm sure the new 488 VS, are demonstrably more exciting and so have stronger residuals than their base models, but only relatively. Even the mighty tdf for example has softened considerably from its highs. To your point, you buy VS models (if you've made the cut) because of the love of driving Ferrari. If you manage to wipe your face over time, it's a nice dividend.

19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    To a more limited version, not to this current one.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I think this version will do similar to the speciale or worse given the larger production run.

21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don’t necessarily think any car is a wise investment. You should buy what you love, what makes your heart beat a little bit faster every time you open the garage and enjoy the dividend it pays on every drive. If it happens you don’t lose money, that would make it a great investment, and as Camlet says, it’s like a roller coaster so just enjoy the ride.

day355, chrixxx, Dolceexte and 3 others like this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    That's how the game works. Nothing to do with intelligence.

Dolceexte likes this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The majority of the small group I hang with either declined or didnt care about an allocation. One guy is excited and hoping to get a slot. The speciale was more enticing to this group of 5ish serious Collectors fwiw.

24. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Ma
    Maybe on 488 LE challenge owners can add challenge rear wings and splitter? Would be wonderful :):)

chrixxx likes this.
  25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I think €325,000 is very optimistic. Base will be around €300,000 Ex VAT etc. Throw in the "must have CF wheels" (who doesnt buy the Weisach package on their 2RS) and a bit of CF in general and I could easily see it at €400,000 on the road.

Ferrari will have learnt from Porsche's 991.1GT3RS mistake of making such a good car too cheap and letting flippers/dealers profit.

uhn2000 likes this.