David Piper restores the Talacrest P4 | Page 128 | FerrariChat

David Piper restores the Talacrest P4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Streetrod, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I really have no idea whether it can or cannot be certified as a P4. If I am correct that the mechanical changes between P4 and CanAm are trivial, then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't warrant being certified as a P4 if everything was correct because there is no major difference between the cars beyond body. Certainly, in period, if Ferrari had a need for a P4 again after CanAm, they would have converted it back. All this being said, I could still see Ferrari sticking to the definition of it as a CanAm, but I would say that is a philosophical distinction rather than an actual one given there was no major mechanical distinction. In the end, I don't care much how Ferrari classifies the car -- someone like Marcel's view counts more to me.

I also think the use of "replica body" is a smear campaign on this car. There are tons of certified cars that have bodies created from scratch, many with English wheel or whatever else does not exactly match how the factory did it or even the shape. They have been restored as best they can be and they aren't referred to as a "replica" bodies. In the case of 0858, you can make the case that the P4 is an "inappropriate" body, but other than that, it's no more replica than any other instances where a body need to be created to restore the car.

Timmmmmmmmmmy and tomgt like this.
  2. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    correct MOST SIGNIFIGANT F cars have been rebodied (non factory original, non period)
    Many TRs, Fantuzzis, Ps, GTOs, LMs etc have tubes and bodies replaced/restored.
    We have works replicas (250LM)

If 0858 250 can am can not be certified as a P4 then neither can 0860 (350 can am)

3. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    No 'smear' just fact and the replica body was not made out of a damage or need in period but 43 years later upon marketing reasons replacing the perfect original body.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #3179 miurasv, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    In 2013 Ferrari Classiche would not certify 0858 as a P4 due to the 350 4.2 litre engine size not being used when a P4 and moreover the committee had decided not to authorise any modification to preserve the only remaining 350 Can Am. I asked them if they would certify the car if they made and installed new tipo 237 4.0 litre P4 cylinder block and correct pistons but they would not authorise any modification to the car and refused my request.

Regarding 0860, if 0858 was still in 350 Can Am configuration, I wonder if Classiche would have certified it as a P4 if the engine was returned to tipo 237 4.0 litre P4 specification???

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  5. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I personally believe that with enough money and connections an owner could sway Classiche to change that direction, regardless of policy.

Daytonafan, PAUL500 and tomgt like this.
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #3181 miurasv, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    That is not the impression I got at the time. The door was firmly closed. 5 years on and after the car has now actually been reconfigured as a P4 that may have changed. I know nothing of money being a persuasive factor beyond the actual costs to carry out the work.

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    It is only a personal belief/ opinion, on my part for I have no actual evidence except for the fact they classiche red booked Violati's P car when it was a replica and the remains of the original were in another country and constituted another well known car. I still think that if a well connected mega collector like Stroll, McCaw or even a very well connected dealer went to Ferrari Classiche with a large enough wad of cash they might make the choice to decide that #0858 is actually a P4 and that new evidence blah, blah, blah, actually I can imagine the press release now lol. And I can't say I would blame Classiche because it exists to create profit for Ferrari Spa, again, just my opinion.

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I don't know the facts of the 0818 case to have an opinion or that money was of influence in it being Red Booked. I'd have thought that JC, HL and DP were well connected enough if connections were the thing to have swung a Red Book for P4 0858.

9. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    As an aside, I think its important to point out that Mr Forghieri's opinion, recollections, and declarations seem to depend entirely on who he happens to be in contact with at a given point in time. This has been proven.

To be VERY clear, Ferrari declined to confirm that the engine in this car is original to it from its days as a genuine P4. The chassis has been chopped at least twice since those days, its original body lost, its interior changed, I could go on and on...

'Original P4'? What a joke. Not even Classiche want anything to do with that fantasy.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #3185 miurasv, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    John Collins makes clear in a Henry Catchpole interview in the current edition of Enzo magazine what he thinks of Glickenhaus' and all his .... ....... friends' view that it was sacrilege to have removed the Can Am body and put it back to a P4.

11. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    #3186 Vincent Vangool, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    I agree with Timmmmmmmmmmy's post #3182

Did you feel he was going to say "You know what? Those people are actually right." ? Of course he is going to say his attempt at recreating history honored whatever.

12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    John Collins continues to try to revise history to suit his own beliefs and or needs.....it seems he's applied his early career training at the Daily Express, and National Enquirer to car sales. It's all about money with him, not the cars, and history be damned. In various ways, he has destroyed more than one significant car, and though he may have sold boatloads of F cars, that does not make him better or more knowledgeable than anyone else.

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #3188 miurasv, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2020
    [removed request of user]

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    #3189 readplays, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2020
    They could have gone with a shorter stroke via a different crank. Better would be to sleeve the existing cylinders back down. If they've reduced the displacement from 4.2 liters back to the original 4.0 I'm sure it's a safe bet that they achieved this through sleeving the cylinders.

miurasv likes this.
  15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    375+, AtSomePoint and colombo2cam like this.
  16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Was a BIG mistake to convert the CanAm.
    And car n°6 was a spider at Brands-Hatch.
    And why eight louvers on the rear ?

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I understand it has been red book certified so it must be correct…………??

Marcel Massini

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    0858 has not been Red Book Certified as a P4. It is Red Book Certified as a 350 Can Am, as you know.

19. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Yes, Ferrari Classiche is always right. But I believe less and less what FC certifies. Where is the truth about #1004 and #1012 ? I'm not what is called an expert, but I understand that we have now two #1004 ??? See here :

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/what-happened-to-the-suppposed-25-versions-of-the-512s-produced.135391/page-44
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-512s-chassis-1012-where-did-it-go.571128/page-2

#0858 was an untouched original CanAm car for so many years. Now its just a "look like" P4.

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Ferrari Classiche is an embarrassment. And as far as this car goes, it's now just another replica, with a fake body that has NO valid connection to Ferrari - never made in period, and not even made in Italy. Unfortunately this isn't the first Ferrari John Collins has screwed up, he should leave the Ferrari world and go back to writing for the Enquirer.

ginge82 likes this.
  21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What happened to the can am body?

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #3197 miurasv, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Talacrest sold it with the car and I would guess that it is still with it.

23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Well, no doubt you realized that I tried to make a joke………..(with my post #3192).

Marcel Massini

Bryanp likes this.
  24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, I did wonder. In my post I should have said 0858 WAS Red Book certified as a 350 Can Am, which will not now be the case since the reconfiguration as a P4.

25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    bump ....... reposts of vids with 'broken' links ...... nice to have these all together. ;) :D