Coloured Brake Calipers | FerrariChat

Coloured Brake Calipers

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    The restoration of my 1983 QV is almost complete. Part of the restoration included returning it to its original blue azzurro metallico from yellow. As far as I can tell it was painted yellow in 1989, when it was just 5 years old.

While looking at the brake calipers today I noticed that they had traces of blu Azzurro metallico paint on them. So if the car really was painted yellow in 1989 then presumably they must have been coloured before then, when the car was still blue. Maybe even from the factory?

But my guess is that they weren't blue from the factory because with the original wheels fitted I'm not sure if you can even see the calipers. I'll probably get the calipers painted black but if there is a chance that they were blue from the factory then I'll get them repainted blue.

Does anybody know about body coloured calipers from the factory? Was it something they were doing back in 1983?

Thanks

Mauro

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  3. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Thanks for this. I wasn't expecting them to be gold. At this point I'll probably stick with black but gold would have been good.

4. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I would go gold with the blue color of your car matches perfect !
    I did go with yellow on my mondial...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Guido

Jeka likes this.
  5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The calipers were originally a cad plated light gold colour.

Guido, do you have a full side view pic of your car with the red stripe, looks like you have uniquely personalized your Mondial, its looks good with the peek view you posted.

6. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  7. rjp80s

rjp80s Rookie

Jan 24, 2017
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Rick Pleczko
    Guido, love the red stripe !!!

8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Waaw, thats twice in 1 day...it toke 15 years to get the first positive reactions ! Thanks guys ! :D:rolleyes:

Guido

9. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #10 theunissenguido, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    PS : those are the reactions so far on well known sites in Belgium...can be translated by Google : Nederlands-English

Rudolph Foppema
    Misdadig om een Mondial, die in de basis al een gedrocht is, zo te mishandelen. Jee wat een afschuwelijk lelijk ding!
    elanspotter
    Stond onlangs nog te koop op de oprijlaan van een kasteel:
    http://nl.autoscout24.be/Details.aspx?id=194619081
    en nu dus al aan de voortuin van een sociaal appartement ?
    Zelfs de stiefmoederlijke Mondial verdient beter ;)

DijkstraMeer
    die rode streep kan echt niet !:(

Guido

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #11 MvT, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018

Clearly these guys do not know what they are talking about. The Mondial brought technology that goes all the way up to the 360. Back in the days it was the model of its era for Ferrari and the best selling Ferrari there ever was. Put that together in one word --> successful

And I do like the stripes! Do you care if someone does not find it good looking...? I think not ;) Look who is driving the Ferrari here. We are! :cool:

I could not care less. I use my Mondial for drying my trousers, I decal it, I drive it whenever I can. I simply enjoy it! Let them say whatever on the pedestrian area :p.

11. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Do you care if someone does not find it good looking...?
    I dont care neither....and I'm using my mondial also to go to Aldi and Lidl (for those who dont know ...low cost supermarkeds in Europe) ..:p

Guido

12. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Love the stripe!!

13. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    I love the heck out of that stripe. Very different!

14. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    I like the stripe too. It sort of tightens up the design.

I'm not so sure the Mondial was the best selling Ferrari ever. I thought they built many more 3x8s than Mondials. The Mondial was more expensive and unless you needed 4 seats (well 2+2 really) the logical choice was a 3x8.

And today the overall production numbers of the recent models, 360 onwards are many more than the Mondial. Admittedly, I haven't checked but I think I'm right.

So, in summary, I think the Mondials are relatively rare machines, and getting rarer.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  16. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I think it looks great too! Very sporty. You could even entertain a "Shelby" type racing stripe up the hood, off centered, driver side. A fat red (similar to side), skinny yellow, skinny red.......The three colors come together very well. Good composition! I might even encourage you to look at Mondrian's Composition A.......you could have the worlds only "Mondrian Mondial." I think a Ferrari is a worthy canvas, don't you?

17. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I like it also the Italian way :

Guido

18. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Was the factory gold a zinc coating similar to say older spark plugs or was it just high temp paint.? I have to redo mine soon and am looking for paint brand suggestions .

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Protective finish - used to also come as ‘standard’ on Toyota Camry calipers (same except for price). I think if you’ve had the Q.V. bumpers painted you don’t need to worry about calliper originality, go with what looks best to you. Although the calliper is small you could also decal it - though they don’t get seen much with original wheels. PS. Nice blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I think the OEM is a passivated cadmium coating, which tended to be more silverish with a hint of gold, new or rebuilt ones are probably a passivated zinc plating which will be more yellow/gold. Cad plating is not really done much anymore for environmental reasons, it's quite the poison like a mercury or lead, but is still available for some aero, industrial and military purposes. They get coated with brake dust anyways, so a coating of silvery/gold paint that mimics an old school cad color would be as reasonable a solution as any.

For what its worth, red calipers (and drilled rotors) are becoming dated, yellow ones today generally signify a carbon composite brake, and current preferred styles seem to be gloss black, silver or even a medium blue on BMW M cars. There is a fad and fashion in calipers. I personally think the OEM functional look is best for a classic car, with yellow as a colour that seems to work with many body colours in that it picks up the yellow accent in the Fcar badges. Its just a matter of time before we see an Italian Tricolour stripe on a gloss black caliper.;)

StuR and Mechanical Dad like this.
  21. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Yeah, I'm not too worried about originality. I would like yellow or gold calipers but after 2.5 years at the body shop I just want the car back so I'll get them to put on some black just to hide the rust. Maybe I'll go for yellow next time. :)

StuR likes this.
  22. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens