Aftermarket Black Roof on a 458 | FerrariChat

Aftermarket Black Roof on a 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AlexG1314, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlexG1314

AlexG1314 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    Hello everyone! After months of preparing myself and my wallet I’m finally ready to join the Ferrari family! I’ve driven all of the Ferraris in my price range and finally decided on a 458 Italia. The only problem is my budget... I’m trying to keep things under 180K and that’s proving to be an issue with the option I consider a must have. The two tone paint job with the black roof. But as I was looking I considered that maybe having it professionally painted would be an option. The thing is that I’m still new to the ferrari world so I’m still learning. I asked the guys at the Ferrari dealership and they said it would most likely diminish the value of it and suggested vinyl wrapping it so I could remove it if I ever sold it. As I said before I really don’t know and would like to get some other opinions. Anything helps! Thanks everyone!

2. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Just get the roof wrapped. I have a red 458 spider and the roof is wrapped in matte black. Inexpensive, looks great and wont affect resale nor future buyers.

Melvok, SAFE4NOW and AlexG1314 like this.
  3. AlexG1314

AlexG1314 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    Okay that’s great to know! Thanks for the reply!

Melvok likes this.
  4. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    +1 wrapped

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Wrap it. I don’t like the look at all, but wrap is reversible.

6. AlexG1314

AlexG1314 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    Yeah that’s the one thing... I need to see if I like the wrapped look. I wasn’t really looking for the matte finish look. But I mean if adding an aftermarket coat of paint will take off 10-20K off the cars value I don’t want to do that either. Theoretically speaking (I know it would cost a fortune) if I bought the car and didn’t do anything with the roof for a year or so. Then I decided that I wanted the paint on the roof, could I send it back to the factory in Italy and have them put the “official” ferrari paint on the roof?

7. ChrisPM

ChrisPM Karting

May 29, 2007
    You can have it wrapped in Matt or gloss. If it’s a good wrap you will struggle to tell the difference between wrap and paint. Black roof cars tend to sit around for a while unsold, so I would guess market is limited. I personally can’t stand the look and would never buy one, but that’s a personal view. Wrap would be better as its reversible. If you really want it painted have a good Bodyshop do it. I certainly wouldn’t send it back to Italy as the cost would be astronomical and you’d be better off just buying one with a black roof.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Melvok and dustman like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #8 Shadowfax, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Everyone seems to have a different take on the black roof but to me it's a great look that always caught my eye. I too had also heard differing opinions being expressed in the dealership even though I've never seen a 458 or 488 with a 2 tone black roof sit around for long unsold. So long story short I played it safe and ordered my car without the black roof but regretted it when the car arrived and had the roof done after hearing this latest solution which had just become available. It has same properties as paint yet can be peeled off like vinyl. In factory nero too! Wont scratch or mark easily like adhesive vinyl or fade in the sun. In the flesh its hard to pick from the factory painted roof.
    Before and after shot.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Wrap the roof and clear wrap at least the nose and areas that experience battle scars from road debris. I just had mine paint

10. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Sorry. Tech error....I had mine paint corrected, front wrapped, & the entire car clear glass coated.

11. aggiestckl

aggiestckl Karting

Jul 15, 2016
    Doylestown, PA
    You can get a carbon fiber roof panel from Oakley Designs.. Would look pretty slick and you can always pull it off.. Few hours with headliner removal, etc

12. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The black roof factory painted was a £6k option, you can get it done locally for £2k but I recommend wrapping.

I was going to get mine painted but decided to leave it red.

Melvok likes this.
  13. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    When I first started looking for a 458 I was a huge black roof fan but after a year + of looking at them I realized body color was the way to go for me. I also prefer the wrap option because of this. Need to be careful though as I know a red car that had to have the top resprayed after removing a black wrap. It took some paint with it in removal. Maybe Shadowfox's solution is less risky if it's available in the states (and the OP is as well).

Melvok likes this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'll ask the guy who developed the product if he has made it available outside of Aus yet and come back later. It's not like your regular spray vinyl product which shares the same issues as the adhesive wrap. Here is the link to his site which shows the differences between his product and vinyl. It has to be sprayed on in a proper spray booth. I had my roof, sills and front lip done in it to match. It looks totally factory - amazing!

http://hueform.com.au/

I hope you guys can get your hands on this product as it will solve all of your issues. Cars like ours deserve better than adhesive vinyl.

Another pic - although a fair bit of dust had settled on the roof..

15. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Buddy
  16. AlexG1314

AlexG1314 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    What Shadowfax has on his car looks incredible! The only thing is that I’m located in Palm Beach... A little far from Australia. If it’s available in the states I will defiantly do that over a wrap because It looks factory to me. I defiantly agree with Shadowfax about the wrap too, it kinda scares me a little. Something about the fact that the same vinyl wrap that’s on somebodies civic would be on my Ferrari doesn’t sit well with me.