328 SERVICE/EMERGENCY LIGHT | FerrariChat

328 SERVICE/EMERGENCY LIGHT

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GIANNI13, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GIANNI13

GIANNI13 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    PITTSBURGH PA
    Full Name:
    JOHN W CAMP SR.
    JUST GOT A 1988 328 AND CANT FIND THE PLUG IN FOR THE SERVICE LIGHT WHICH WAS IN THE TOOL KIT ( IT HAS A HELLA STYLE PLUG END NOT CIG LIGHTER STYLE END) ANYONE HAVE PICS OF THE LOCATION? LOOKED ALL UNDER THE DASH CANT FIND IT ??? DID THEY ALL HAVE THIS PLUG? THANKS

2. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I thought the emergency lights came in two plug ends; the cigarette lighter (common style) and skinnier hella plug ends.
    My 1986 328 has the common cigarette lighter and my 1988 Mondial has the skinnier hella cigarette lighter.
    I assume the cars came with the emergency light that fit in the cigarette lighter. In my assumption a P.O. or when bought came with the wrong light.
    Maybe someone can confirm

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My 1978 308 GTS had the Hella plug and I can't remember what my 1987 328 GTS had...I am pretty sure it had the Hella plug as well.
    Regardless, if you car has it, the plug is under the dash, to the left of the steering wheel (on a left hand drive car)..and (IIRC) close to the outer edge, you should not have to get way deep under the dash.

4. GIANNI13

GIANNI13 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    PITTSBURGH PA
    Full Name:
    JOHN W CAMP SR.
    I FOUND WHERE I BELEIEVE IT SHOULD PLUG IN BUT THE PLUG ON THE CAR IS NOT THERE(MIA) I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE 328'S SHOULD HAVE THE HELLA STYLE END ON THE LIGHT BUT 348'S UP USE HTE CIG LIGHTER STYLE

5. GIANNI13

GIANNI13 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    PITTSBURGH PA
    Full Name:
    JOHN W CAMP SR.
    THANK YOU FOR THE INPUTS

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well I would not worry about it either way. Carry a small flashlight, it is way more useful. ;)

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    While the F SPCs have tended to lose the exactly location information (and many assembly details) of each component, the 328 SPC (LHD) still shows it in about the right physical relationship to the instrument panel as f355spider described -- item 27 here (and the illustration shows it being the smaller oddball style):

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/328-group/328-1985/instruments-and-accessories.html

Your OM also shows its location in Section 1. Forgive me for pulling out the "RT(F)M" line, but you really should IMO. It's actually very short and packed with tech information and figures that are valuable to the Owner (even if not a DIYer). It's written in the style of an Engineer trying to convey information useful to the Owner; whereas, the modern OMs from most manufacturers are written in the style of a Lawyer trying to overwhelm the Reader and obscure any real information ;)

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I always thought the 328 used the same emergency light, and also the same socket, as the 308 ---- which is located to the left of the steering column on the underside of the dash panel.

Is that not the case ?

9. GIANNI13

GIANNI13 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    PITTSBURGH PA
    Full Name:
    JOHN W CAMP SR.
    FOUND THE WIRES SOCKET WAS MISSING FOUND ONE ON EBAY THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    May I respectfully point out for future reference that internet etiquette is that CAPITALS is shouting and BOLD is even louder !