Alonso open to NASCAR test | FerrariChat

Alonso open to NASCAR test

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by TeamF1Jr, Jan 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Fernando met Jimmie Johnson for the first time today. Expressed interest in testing a car. Curious if Jimmy made an offer knowing Mr. Hendrick would be cool with it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    meh. enough with the publicity stunts, either field a good F1 car for him or let him change teams.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  3. agreed, 'cept one step further....drop "either field a good F1 car for him or let him change teams." even..... ;)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Why was Johnson there all decked out in his driving suit? Does he wear it 24/7 now?

He wasn't in the 24 Hours was he?

This smacks of a NASCAR publicity stunt more than anything. Will they do a car swap a-la
    Montoya/Gordon? Stay tuned to our next turgid episode!

I give Alonso a lot of credit though. In a time when F1 drivers rarely venture out of that rare air,
    he shows that changing disciplines is possible. What else could he do, ROC, Dakar, etc?

BHW

5. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Think of the entertainment value ;)
    "Alonso this is NASCAR, it IS a contact sport"
    You only live once, so go for it.
    Watching Montoya fly out of the pits and hit the jet dryer had me scratching my head ;)

6. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003

Alonso had to fly to North Carolina for something PR related and it just so happened to be NASCAR's opening season press day, so that's why Jimmie was dressed in his overalls

7. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I've never seen Alonso, but I have seen JJ. Kinda funny to see just how much shorter Alonso is than JJ.

Johnson, looks like a modern day Roman gladiator, built to fight and kill. There is a reason he does so well, it isn't just driving talent, it is incessant attention to physical training.

I welcome any F1 driver to NASCAR, it is far more difficult to succeed than most folks think. There are also far more competitive cars to drive for in the field, rather than one magic car in F1.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That is one publicity stunt I do enjoy. I think Tony Stewart and Lewis Hamilton traded cars at Watkins Glen as well.

I would love to see more drivers doing what Alonso is doing and crossing over into other forms of racing.