1999 355 F1 ECU #174526 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1999 355 F1 ECU #174526

Discussion in '348/355' started by Kevincarl, Oct 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    It just stopped selecting neutral. I never parked it in gear again.

2. poz235

poz235 Rookie

Jan 4, 2012
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Full Name:
    Zach
    I was able to get a new F1 TCU from Ferrari (sometime in the winter of 2014-15), however, it was the absolute last one they had, and there are none on any secondary market that I could find. It is my understanding they are going to finally have some made so that people's cars won't be paperweights if they need a new one. After getting the TCU we popped the busted one open to find it had actually burned itself to a crisp, so we replaced the F1's wiring harness as a precaution (which required the engine to be taken out and so I did the major at the same time), because as far as I know there aren't any others yet to be had.

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Has anyone had any luck locating one of these ? Or fixing one ?
    Candid question, but are there public sources for the schematics of such ECUs ?
    With 2500+ F1 355s out there, such failures can't be that rare.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not sure how many F1 owners on fchat but only head of a couple failures in over a decade.
    I have not heard of any fixes other than replacing it.

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    The problem with replacement is that nobody appears to have any spares in inventory. And I have already looked quite a bit.

6. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have one and have had several offers, but am hesitant to sell. What if the reason for yours failing was something wrong with your car? Like a shorted wire etc. I sell you mine, you plug it in and pooof, fry it.
    Im probably going to keep mine with the car

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

7. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Nothing wrong with my car as far as the mechanics can tell.
    The ECU worked for the 15 seasons i have owned my car, and on the first hundred yards of the 16th season, shifting was off, with brutal shifts and missed gears. Diagnostic from Ferrari workshop is that the ECU refuses to communicate with the Ferrari tester, while rest of the car seems perfectly fine. Could be a 50cts voltage regulator inside the ECU or something mundane of that kind, but it is difficult to find out without investing into a complete reverse engineering of the ECU, assuming that it is not sealed.