My 488 is just too damn fast.. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 488 is just too damn fast..

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SlickMurphy, Feb 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    To be honest, in the winter (at least where I'm at), even after 15 minutes of driving, I still can't get the 488 past the "Warm-up" stage. My daily driver is a crossover SUV that a lot of soccer moms use, even though I'm a male in my 30's, never married and no kids.

However, one enjoys it in many other ways, the experience, sound, design, etc. The total package is more than just raw speed alone. I don't drag race on public streets and post them on YouTube...

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If you really are done the 488 another option is an R8V10 (base not plus) it has amazing power and is brilliant in all seasons. I would have gotten that but I am just way too addicted too the Ferrari experience.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ll trade you my BMW i8 for your 488, straight up. You can use all the power in the i8.....

4. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I went from a 430 Spider to a 458 spider and and was amazed how fast the 458 was. It took me awhile to get used to the horsepower once I was I was less worried , in fact I wanted more horsepower. I have a 488 Spider on order, I'll probably have the same thoughts...

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I suggest V8: F430, 430 Scuderia or 458 Italia. V12: 550 Maranello or F12.

adall and italiafan like this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The sweet spot has more to do with the package than just the hp. And you can't have too much hp. Ferrari is known for its NA V12s, perhaps you should move up to a man's car? :)

spyderman and uhn2000 like this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    For me, I think the 458 Italia is the best car I've ever owned. It's a great balance between power and really being enjoyable to drive it comfortably/daily on the street. Very civil / comfortable, but yet has all the power you need when it comes to a thrill ride.

My motorcycle suffers from the "too much power for the street" syndrome and it's sort of a drag. In short bursts - such as merging onto the highway - yes, it's fun, but you have to get off the throttle pretty quick if you value your life. I would hate to have a daily driver that fell into the same category. I sort of feel like the 488 might be inching into this realm.

Again, for me, the 458 is the sweet spot. Amazing car, but not so much car that you can't use/enjoy it.

Ray

8. Data

Data Karting

Dec 11, 2007
    BMW 1M Coupe. Thank me later.

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    A Ferrari tht is too fast??? Does such a thing exist?

10. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    I agree. All around out of the dozen or so performance cars I've owned, the Porsche 997.2 PDK has been the best all rounder. I had sports chrome and sport plus button. Unreal car. Tight and beautiful drive with high performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhn2000 likes this.
  11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree here, I had the 997.2 Targa4S and should never have sold it!

12. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
  13. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Great thread!

I’m a N/A man myself. Have a 15’ Speciale, 09’ M3 Sedan 6sp and 16’ GT4 and daily drive Mazda 3 (blasphemy - I wonder how many times the word Mazda has appeared in these forums!). I feel like that is the best mix of you have the garage space.

Speciale is the trophy. Love sharing the experience with others. Always wanted one, specced it, will never sell it. It’s my baby and my art piece when not being used. Sense of occasion can’t be matched. Smiles per mile can be however... by this next car.

GT4 is the car that puts a smile on my face without scaring it right off again. It sounds more characterful than the Speciale (I know I know, I should change the exhaust- I like my cars stock). Wouldn’t get bucket seats next time however as it adds that little ‘chore’ factor to the start and finish or every drive. And I’m only 39 so should be complaining!

M3 does the same in a different way. Again, the V8 N/A sound is awesome and I can take my family for a casual drive and I still get my jollies at 6/10ths. Gives me my manual fix on a weekly basis too.

Mazda 3, need I say more. We should pay homage to our DD’s that start without battery tenders or car covers or expensive waxes, never get door dings and can leave out overnight without sparing a thought.

My perfect garage? Getting there, pretty perfect for me at the mo

V12 one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 and uhn2000 like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    991 Turbo S is my sweet spot. Once you get used to the power it all comes together but it takes some time. 488 is on the way there. To say you can't use all that power means you just need more time behind the wheel of that car..

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have to clarify my statement -i forgot about my e36 M3s - those are also very enjoyable for DD

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my e36 325is with adjustable suspension and M3 wheels was one of the best handling cars I ever had. it was extremely competitive BMW and SCCA autocross.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Manual gearbox = ENGAGING!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Finlander likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In Europe most regular cars are manual, therefore there is not the same glamour associated with a manual gearbox; driving a manual car is what virtually everybody does so one does not feel as someone in the know for doing it.
    And a DCT has nothing in common with a slushbox, even though it can be operated in automatic mode.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If the OP finds the 488 too fast, so will he find the Scuderia. A 911 GTS or even a Cayman S would be my suggestion.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Don't say that, Mazdas are great every day cars! Much more fun than their competitors and virtually immortal!

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Indeed! It always cracks me up when Americans think of manuals as something exotic, when in Europe every 18 year old girl drives one... :D

22. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    997 GT3 RS....fantastic steering feel, 450hp, manual gearbox. Car feels engaging and exciting even when you're not going too fast.

Evo gave it the "Greatest Drivers Car of all Time" award.

Heres the article:

"The elephant in the room is a Porsche 911 GT3 RS 3.8 parked on the moor, ticking noisily beside the road having been given one final blast by the evo team.

Jethro eventually volunteers to be the one to put his thoughts into words: Every time I think I've just experienced motoring nirvana in one of the other cars, I drive the Porsche and think,No, this is it.

SO THIS IS it. This is evo. This is the car that we hold aloft as the one that has reached the highest heights in this crazy mixed-up world we call the Thrill of Driving. The Porsche 911 GT3 RS 3.8.
    That it fights and almost wins against a car that is so aligned with the more analogue leanings of the team is remarkable, and while the GT3 RS should be celebrated as the best of the past 200 issues, it's the Speciale that sets the benchmark for the next 200.

So what is it about the GT3 RS that elevates it above the others? John Barker explains: Take the best bits of everything else in this whole test, cram them into a ridiculously compact shell and you've got the 911 GT3 RS. If the Speciale is a masterclass in response, the GT3 RS is the definitive lesson in feedback, adds Jethro. The steering. I know we're forever banging on about bloody steering! It is truly special, bubbling and wriggling with the most wonderful detail. Not just of the road surface but flowing information about weight transfer, the shifts in balance that are at the core of this car.

At this point Henry chips in: The way its damping copes with the Welsh roads is just perfect and not once did I feel like the mighty Mezger wasn't strong enough. What's more, the suppleness in the suspension set-up means that I could enjoy all these lovely adjustable 911 feelings even when we were just pottering along in the morning at five- or six-tenths.

Back to Barker: This is the best balanced of all RSs for me. The ride and handling are perfectly balanced, the crazy top end of the 3.8 is plenty crazy enough, the heft of the hefty gearshift is as hefty as I'd want it and there's nothing I want more of from an RS.It's alive at all times, explains Jethro, and you feel the weight shifting around, the slight softness of response as you guide it gently into easy curves. But then the transformation when you decide to snap between direction changes is incredible. Suddenly the front-end is pinned and the traction is, of course, almost surreal.

The final words go to Dickie: As much as I love the Speciale, the RS is a tougher, grittier experience. Of course you have to drive the Speciale to get the best from it, but ultimately there's less to get to know. The RS demands a broader skill set and greater intimacy with its ways and foibles before you're able or confident enough to push it. Essentially these cars perfectly illustrate the difference between the analogue and digital ages. We just happen to be living through the transitional phase, so while it's brilliant that a car like the Speciale can deliver such a vibrant and all-consuming experience, the appeal of cars that require you to use hard-won skills and the satisfaction they deliver when you do so to the best of your ability remains irresistible.

The epic Speciale proves the future is in good hands, but looking back over the last 200 issues the GT3 RS is the defining car, the pinnacle of an extraordinary era."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dmundy and uhn2000 like this.
  23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Porsche 911 turbo s. It’s the most usable “supercar” out there I think. I sold my 2015 this summer and bought a p100d as a daily driver. I miss the Porsche and am specing a new one.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    There are so many similarly named 911’s that I honestly don’t know which one or year that is above. Decade ago or one coming out in 2018?

Solid State and Viperjoe like this.
  25. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    I don’t know that a stick should be considered glamorous, maybe just fun. For me, old school fun is hard to beat when you have a clutch pedal, shifter, gas pedal, brake pedal and steering wheel working them all together in seamless fashion!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

xfrgtr likes this.