New Ford GT | Page 74 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yeah but they are all awesome in their own way. Great time to be fortunate enough to enjoy the options. Be thankful.

3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    They are the GREATEST times, as I'm preparing my 1952 Aston Martin DB2 for Amelia Island, it too was king of the hill, now at 100 hp with the "S" motor, you go around the block or a picnic before the suv's invade the roads.
    If you own any of the newest you will soon learn we are at the end of the gasoline engine.
    Enjoy it !
    GTJOEY1314

4. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    You've missed the point of the GT. You can't apply the thinking that it's a "latest and greatest before the next one comes out next year" road car.

This is the point of the GT:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The road car exists in service of the race car. Period.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  5. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    We are friends for life.....
    The road version Ford Gt
    Did not live up to it's name
    Sorry
    Gtjoey1314

werewolf likes this.
  6. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    It's definitely not what you personally would be looking for in a car, I'll agree to that much...

7. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I agree, After the 720s, Its the Dawn or Wraith.......there is nowhere to go after any of these cars, 0 to 100 in 1 second?
    XO
    GTJOEY1314

8. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    I respect that this is your personal opinion. I can't criticize it, but man, the GT way exceeds my expectations for a road car. The fact that I can drive on the street a homologation car that is the closest thing you can get to a LeMans winner just blows me away. The fact that it's a GT40 descendant is nirvana for me. It really boils down to whether these things matter to someone. I get that some don't care, but there are way more than 1,000 of us who care very much.

9. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    ?? It precisely lives up to its name.

A car created to race and win in a series (specifically Le Mans), and be sold for homologation reasons.

You should read up on what the original GT-40 program was about.

10. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Most everyone is looking at the road car the wrong way.

It isn't now, nor was it ever about pure numbers. During the design of the car never looked at the typical numbers people use when looking at sports cars. Now these were important -things like 0-60, top speed, hp, etc. But these never drove the car design. That is we were never fixated on the typical performance numbers every one likes to look at. The reason why is that they are actually not the parameters that really count in the design of a really good sports car. They are important-and yes-for a lot of people they are the only numbers that mean anything. But frankly, this car wasn't designed for you. So please don't buy it. You will be disappointed.

However, if you are more interested in parameters like understeer gradient, roll center height gradient in ride and roll (roll center parity), Hub centre and caster and toe compliances, Center of pressure migration, total lateral load distribution, etc, etc, etc. then this is your car. Because those are the things that were focused on. And those arethe things that make a really great sports car. As these are the very quantifiable parameters that define the most subjective of vehicle behavior. Does the steering "feel" right, doe sthe car "talk" to me, how easily can I tell when I am at the car's limit, how predictable, how recoverable, etc, etc, etc.

None of these things are really covered well in most any car review magazine. (Because most mag writers have no clue about any of this.) But these ar ethe things that as a driver, are what really count. These are all of the things that make a car "feel" theway they do and when done right you as the driver just "know it".

Something that Lotus gets right most all of the time. Something Ferrari gets most of the time but messes up in a big way know and then. And something that Ford got really right in the Ford GT. In the end it is a drivers car period. Others may be faster but very few will get you there in such a competent way or with as big a grin on your face. This car has "soul". Something I have yet to feel in many, many other cars.

Boomhauer and GuyIncognito like this.
  11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Whenever I read that a sports car is not a "numbers" car, I scratch my head. Certainly, judging a sports car is SUBJECTIVE and OBJECTIVE, and both matter a great deal. The Ford GT is a lovely car but when a car is priced and marketed the way this car has been, I feel it should be exceptional, and, based on reviews, it does seem to have some issues that it shouldn't have.
    It's like designing a minivan and then saying "Well, it has 40% less space than it's competitors, but we weren't focused on "space""

werewolf likes this.
  12. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    I would venture that it depends on your personal experience attempting to extract numbers from a car. To me, most people who fixate on numbers over all rarely (or never) spend any time actually using that performance. Ferraris in general have simply never been the fastest car, but I'd be surprised if you met anyone that would legitimately prefer driving a 650S over a 458 Speciale. To a man, every driver I know that used the 675LT and 458 Speciale on GT program preferred the much slower Speciale.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  13. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    It was the 458 Speciale that stood head and shoulders above every other car that Ford/MTC tested when doing comparos for the Ford GT. Interesting that the Macca could match the 458 in lap speeds on the race track (especially with pro drivers) but not a single person in the evaluation group ever picked the Macca as equivalent to the 458 as a sports car.

Best proof of this: Every day after testing the cars the group got together to discuss notes. And all the various car keys were tossed on the table. 458, 996TT, Corvette, GTR, Mustang Shelby, Yellowbird Camaro, Mercedes, Lambo, etc-even a street legal Radical RXC coupe (My personal fav!). Every cool car you would want to drive was there. And the rule was pick up a set of keys for the car you want to drive home for the night/weekend and then back. And every single time, everybody wanted the 458 first and the Macca last. (Save the Radical RXC-which most loved on the track but not so much on the road. Save me--I always went for the RXC first or second.)

of2worlds likes this.
  14. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    "Name" as in historical name, lemans winner, homologation special, built as a racecar while the road car was never a comfortable Cadillac/Aston Martin.

Or does your narrow view of history limit the "name" to the 05-06 car? If so, you should hold out for the new twin turbo Corvette. That should blow away pretty much everything out there for not a lot of money, and have the displacement to spare. It's pretty much taking over where the 05-06 GT left. The new GT was not built to be the ultimate street car.

15. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    I love 458/Specials, but the steering is far twitchier than the 675. It's hard not to smile with the major power advantage the 675 has over the 458/S.

16. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    The GT is not as cheap as other supercars, the GT is not as fast as other supercars, the GT is does not have as much luggage space as other supercars, the GT is not....this and that..
    When I applied to buy one I knew all of this but more importantly I completely understood the focus behind the GT. I am fine with some not understanding this as it makes it all the more special.

Brian

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. Lacquer

Lacquer Rookie

Jan 26, 2011
    My .02, This will be one of those threads that will be very telling in 8 to 10 years. My bet is the NFGT will be more relevant at that time to any car in this thread brought to date. No offense, but it will certainly be far more so than a 720s.

Dragster and dbk like this.
  18. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    Speciales, 675LTs, 720S' and Performantes are realistically $400K cars. So the GT is what, 50-100K more than that? On track, a $150K Viper ACRE and ZR1 are nearly as fast or faster than all of the above as well as Million dollar cars from the Holy Trinity, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Pagani, etc...

Other than bragging rights, who cares when 99.99% of owners can't come within a few seconds of any if these cars abilities on track.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ford GT is bad ass and if you could get one you probably would. If you cant get one then you want to make yourself feel better by criticizing it. :)

20. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    You're right on that one. I said the other day that everything that's old with Ford GT is new again. This site was a hotbed of ragging the 05/06 GT when it came out. It certainly wasn't the only one. Plenty of discussion on how it wasn't special, it had a truck motor, the interior sucked, it was cheaply made, it was overproduced, it would be easy to buy for pennies in a couple years, etc. You'd be crazy to buy a $150k Ford when you could buy a Gallardo or 360, or later spend half the money and buy a C6 Z06 that was just as fast. One guy here made the genius prediction that they'd be able to be had for $45k in a few years, that is if anyone even remembered the car existed. Of course, with the passage of time, now there are plenty of experts who always recognized it was an instant classic. Heh.

Ultimately those viewpoints came from the same or similar place some viewpoints on the current car come from. There will always be people who can't get past the badge on the front; it's offensive that it's even mentioned among European elite, or it's irritating that somehow a Ford is judged in the market as vastly more desirable than anything from a domestic rival despite statistical parity. To each his own on those fronts. The semi-unobtainable nature of the car added an additional wrinkle. Then throw in heat over the politics of racing today.

A lot of that stuff will be long forgotten in 15 years and people will realize a major manufacturer somehow against all odds and logic managed to green light and then spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build and race a gorgeous homologation special that is more race bred than anything else on the road. The 05/06 is a lovely homage to the past, but it is an homage. The 17 car is the legitimate spiritual successor to the original GT40, and if people can't recognize that obvious fact, they just don't know or understand the history of the name.

21. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    I think the new GT certainly lived up to its name. Won LeMans, Daytona, and lots of other races.
    Starting to sound like sour grapes because you didn't get one?

22. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    BINGO. I'm sure "GT" Joey signed up for one and didn't make the cut. If he did there'd be more (comic) books......Me and my new GT, etc., and youtube skits and nonsense with him plastered all over it telling everyone how fantastic the car is.

Which the car really is......

23. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Ghibliman/Flgt
    The last time I spoke to Henry III was late summer early fall, he had text me about how he and his young daughter loved watching
    Ford Gt An American Icon each Saturday and Sunday at the time.
    That show aired over 600 times on Mavt
    Then eventually Velocity.
    He was well aware of the impact of the show and the two books to Ford and the Ford Gt.
    "Ford Gt the complete owners experience". and
    "Around the world in a Ford Gt "almost"
    Both helped support the picture you see of the Many homeless veterans that we have fed and clothed over the last 3 years.
    December was our biggest month withover 845 men and women being taken care of!
    Those two comic books as you have called them were reviewed by Ford Legal then blessed by Jamal Hameedi as both are Ford authorized products!
    A man by the name of John Klor had a lot to do with putting it all together back in the day.
    None of this goodwill could have been accomplished if it weren't for two people twelve years ago
    Dbk and Gtjoey
    Dbk's family has been a part of Ford for a very long time
    Jay Leno , Fred Goodnow, Chris Theodore Camillo Pardo and so many others helped out of THEIR own goodness to make it all happen
    Not one of those projects did we ask Ford to fund moniterilly, just back up support such as photos or documentations.
    It was a rewarding time for all.
    So please as everyone knows I never go down anger road and I never will
    Peace my friends
    Gtjoey1314
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Devilsolsi, werewolf, PaulK and 2 others like this.
  24. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    ^^^^ WOW

Congrats and well-done, gtjoey !!

25. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Yes, indeed, which makes the passive aggressive behavior concerning the NFGT across multiple forums all the more curious.