86 Mondial flooding? | FerrariChat

86 Mondial flooding?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ddiggler, Jan 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Don't know if this is common or not? My 86 Mondial, when the key is in the accessory (1st position) position for the radio etc. it sounds like maybe the fuel pump starts running. If I put the key in and go straight to start it fires right up. If it is in the 1st position for any more than 5 seconds or so I have to feather the gas peddle a little to get it to start. Any insight would be great. Thank you to all.

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Cold or warm start? I only feather the peddle during a warm start, that's normal.

If correctly the fuel pump will not initiate when warm, only with a cold start. When it's warm then for 20-25min the fuel pressure remain and then it slowly drops. When cold the fuel pump needs to pressurize the fuel system to be able to start.

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Pump should stop obviously, so yes it does sound like it's flooding. You need to find out what sensor isn't working here. 2 things here? Guys, what sensor cuts off the pump once system pressure is achieved and why is the system pressure bleeding fuel into the injectors when the engine isn't running? It's been a while since I got my head around the injection on this car and I've not had issues myself and so have forgotten some of how the system works.
    Sorry, regards Bell

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There isn't one -- on (stock) F Bosch CIS, the fuel pump only runs under two conditions:

1. Starter motor is cranking (key in POS III), or

2. Key in run position (POS II) and the engine running (i.e., enough air is being drawn into the engine to deflect the airflow metering plate and open the safety switch circuit).

The OP must have some sort of electrical modification in order to have the fuel pump run in the condition he indicated.

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Im not the OP but I swear on my 85 I can hear fuel pump run on pos II or the first pos that will run the radio. It annoys me because I can't just turn the key and listen to radio while I putz with the car in the garage cuz the pump will run.

6. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Steve, could the safety switch on the metering plate be at fault here?

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, there could be an electrical connection fault inside the airflow metering plate assembly or the safety switch could just be unplugged. I am a bit confused by the OP stating "when the key is in the accessory (1st position) position for the radio etc." as both the OM and the wiring diagram show only:

Key off = position 0
    1st click = position II Run
    Full rotation = position III Start

for the ignition switch operation (no dedicated "accessories only" position).

In Position II, the accessories will run, but the ignition system will also be powered so not really the best for just listening to the radio.

If the safety switch is unplugged = yes, that would run the fuel pump when the key is in Pos II without the engine actually running.

If the safety switch is plugged in, but the fuel pump runs with the key in Pos II without the engine running, unplug the safety switch and use a jumper wire to connect the two terminals in the harness connector together (simulating a closed safety switch):

1. if the fuel pump then doesn't run with key in Pos II and the engine not running = bad sign for the electrical connection inside the airflow metering plate assembly (it is a fairly crude thing of a metal plate simply touching the end of the metal rest pin so can get contaminated).

2. if the fuel pump still runs with key in Pos II and the engine not running with the jumper in place = either some other fault or modification upstream probably at the fuse-relay panel.

One other point is that the 3.2 Mondial (like TR) has a small air blower inside the passenger compartment (to circulate air over the inside temperature sensor) that will make a whirring sound with the key in Pos II without the engine running -- wouldn't surprise me if the OP is mistaking this sound for the sound of the fuel pump running (and the fuel pump isn't actually running). Wouldn't be a bad thing IMO for every Owner with a F model that has a safety switch (even if not a DIYer) to unplug their safety switch and put the key in Pos II without the engine running as a test to learn what a running fuel pump sounds like when the engine isn't running.

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I think the radios were to be installed by dealers with an always hot wire, not one keyed to ignition for this reason. That's how mine works and I can see the factory connector that was intended for this hook up.