Thoughts on autocross | FerrariChat

Thoughts on autocross

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Mechanical Dad, Jan 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Been thinking of giving this a try. Good friend of mine just started last season and got driver of the year. Seems like a fun way to enjoy your car. I'd be using my 924 to start off, (as I have very little $ into it) and wouldn't feel too bad if something happened to it. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 88porsche944

88porsche944 Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
    Do it. You'll have fun. PCA or SCCA. Ran my 944 in both. With PCA you will get more laps for the $.

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Go for it. Cheapest bang for the buck in racing. Just beware...once you get hooked you will find that road racing is next. The sport will become very addictive. Loads of fun besides.

88porsche944 likes this.
  4. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Was thinking scca just because they have a local chapter. What is pca? Haven't done much research yet other than talking to a few friends who've done it . I hope I get hooked and the go for road racing! Always wanted to .

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Pca is porsche club america. Lots of autocross events with them.
    Also check out www.motorsportreg.com for events.

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  6. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    How was the 944 to use? I've only driven my 924 a few times before the weather turned and it seems like a fun little car. I know i won't set the world on fire with it but I think I'll have fun with it.

7. 88porsche944

88porsche944 Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
    Yes, you will have fun with it.
    The 944 was a lot's of fun to Autocross, very predictable, as the 924 was when I ran it before the 944. It was a bit of a challenge at first, due to them being an automatic, I have hand controls on my vehicles, (paraplegic.) One hand on the steering wheel, the other modulating throttle and brake. Won my class the first year. G Street Stock (GSS). Then I did some suspension work, got bumped up in class.

Trevor

8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Definitely give it a try. I did it off and on for a few years but haven't for some time. It's fun and the community is generally good. Maybe it's different where you are but I grew tired of only driving for maybe 10 minutes total over the course of a weekend. Lots of standing outside in the baking hot sun for minimal drive time.

95spiderman likes this.
  9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I did few pca autocross events in early 2000s as beginning performance driver. Be at parking lot track around 7am. Hang around couple hrs to start. Get about half dozen runs between 9am to 4pm. Each run under a minute. Work the course picking up cones and waving flags about half the down time.

didn't really like it mostly bc I have trouble learning new courses and would get lost in a sea of cones. Hpde gives about 4 or 5 20 to 30 minute sessions per day so get much more seat time. And even I dont get lost on track. Lol. Try hpde and see how it compares to ax.

Good luck and enjoy. Its fun!

vdettore likes this.
  10. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'm going to meet with a few friends who raced or have raced in it this weekend and get the ball rolling. Thanks for the insight everyone !

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I did AX hard for 2 years before I moved up to club racing. Best thing I ever did for my club racing! In AX you learn to be precise with lines missing cones by inches and tenths matter. I had a definite advantage over club racers that were more loosy goosy about their lines. It is really fun until you try track and club racing, then it isn't. working a corner in sun all day for 3 thirty second runs isn't fun. :) After a couple AX's you'll be tempted to buy DOT R's and trailer or trunk them which means swapping all your wheels before and after AX. Some guys even swapped their pads even in stock class for a total of 2 minutes of driving. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think there were concerns back then insurance etc, obviously I didn't care. :)

14. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Insurance? What the heck is that? Damn the torpedo's, full steam ahead!!! Remember...."racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting"!!!

Words of wisdom from the King of Cool. He knew best! :D

Rob: Does Racer X have a brother named Speed? If so, can I get a look at the Mach 5? :p

rob lay and Mechanical Dad like this.
  15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Auto-x is so safe I would not hesitate to take my garage queen on a course. I started on road course 1st so auto-x wasn't enough for me. But others just love auto-x and just don't like road courses. There are also a good number who do both. There are many advantages to being able to drive your car totally stock and race in a stock class with very very little chance of damage. Look into what SCCA has to offer. They are 67,000 member strong and run great events in multiple car fun disciplines from road racing to street rally.

16. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    If love to eventually move to road racing. I built and drove local short track racers in the 90s but it was oval, and therefore a bit boring after a while. Cars were built for road courses.