BMW i8 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

BMW i8

Discussion in 'Other German' started by SoCal to az, Feb 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    which one is the cadillac based on?

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Caddy ELR was based on the Volt. GM does some goofy stuff.

Couple weeks ago we looked at the Model X... wife loved it. So it may replace the Volt at some point. And looking at a 12c and GT3 at a local P car dealer they had an i8. Cool car and nearly impossible to get into - as Joe said. That would take some practice.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    to me the i8 was not much more challenging to get into than a lot of other cars.
    you just duck under the far corner of the door, do a left leg pistol squat while stretching your right leg to the right and over the sill and onto the floor, and then slide down into it, in one smooth movement.

but maybe this physical ability requirement will drive the i8 prices down to where i will consider buying one !

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've been looking at interior shots and I don't see where there are any obstacles to getting in in the usual way. It has a high sill, but the seat is relatively close to the door, so I don't see a problem.

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Go try one, it’s interesting. Obviously not impossible but there is a technique. Like getting into and out of my old 360c with the roll cage. Until you figure it out it’s awkward as hell, and amusing.

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I never had a problem getting in and out but most people band their heads getting in the first time. I have about 8k miles on my i8.

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's just it. I'm 6'2" and have a 308 GTS and a 360 Modena Berlinetta. I have no problem getting in and out of them smoothly. The i8 looks like a cinch.

I'm 59 and can squat over 250, so that helps. :)

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m 6’3 but pretty flexible so never had a problem. If you lack core strength (unbelievably we are talking about core strength and cars) though you will definitely have issues getting out of the i8. Ive had to literally come around the passenger side and pull people out lol.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    Shocked to see so many people love their i8's. Almost bought one 2 years back but after a few long drives I couldn't see myself DD one of this. Too under powered for the price tag. Also was a bit of a boring drive...but I love the looks.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I find the i8 incredibly easy to get in and out of (I think the 4C is harder), and if you shift it yourself it can be fun (even a sporty) to drive. I drive mine that way with the pedal commander on and I have come to enjoy it much more over the last few months. I just past the one year mark of ownership and the fact I still have it says a lot about the car (at least to me), since there is not much you can do to it. I saw one at the car show yesterday, it was the worst looking one I have ever seen.