Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 59 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #1452 sjmst, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Update. I have 3,500 miles of flawless performance on mine.

This car turns heads. People stop to chat and ask about it. If you want to blend into the background, maybe it’s not the car for you. From every angle, it looks properly proportioned. The interior is beautiful, and is there a more striking logo than Alfa’s? I say “No”

Best for last. Driving it. It’s not a weekend toy. I commute interstate, NY to NJ every day. Forty five miles each way. Hence the need for the adaptive cruise and forward collision warning. This allows the car to stop and go on its own in bumper to bumper traffic. Nice.

When the roads are open, and that happens even in NY, it is wonderful. The chassis feels carved from stone, yet is somehow compliant over rough patches. It is inexplicably able to take curves flat at speed yet still be comfortable. This is not a big car. It is in looks and feel more like sports sedans before they became heavy and bloated. The Giulia is light and quick and instantly responsive. My 2002 BMW 3 series 5-speed was something like that, but this has that beat.

ingegnere, greg328, ypsilon and 2 others like this.
  3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 Italy Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

Jan - 771*

*Figures may not contain Quadrifoglio models - See post #1200

4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 USA Alfa Romeo Giulia Sales:-

Jan - 948

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    If Stelvio sales pick up, wich I think they will we might do over 20,000 this year in North America!!

6. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Can any owners comment on scheduled maintenance costs? Just saw a video which stated that every 30k miles a serpentine belt change is required which costs $2k ... every 30k miles. That seems excessive to me ... anyone experience that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2017 Europe Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

Jan - 1933
    Feb - 2005
    Mar - 2751
    Apr - 2096
    May - 2585
    Jun - 2923
    Jul - 1922
    Aug - 1112
    Sep - 2011
    Oct - 1437
    Nov - 2352
    Dec - 1689
    Total: 24 816

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well I dunno... but I paid $1100 for a normal brake job on a Mini. The cost of service and parts these days are pretty outrageous across the board. I think that's so they can keep turning and burning repeat customers.

9. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    My first service was included for free. I haven’t heard about that belt change. Will have to investigate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jeffb99tx

jeffb99tx Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That may be old information as it is the recommended change interval for my mid 1990s 164. Hopefully they can come up with a more durable cam belt than what was available 25+ years ago.

Cheers,

Jeff
    Dallas

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The belt change on the 4c is like 60K miles.

12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2017 Europe Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

January - 1673

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

January - 948
    February - 853

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

January - 948
    February - 853
    March - 1284
    Total: 3085

15. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 Europe Alfa Romeo Giulia sales:-

January - 1673
    February - 1463

16. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/alfa-romeo-giulia-coupe-pack-641bhp-f1-hybrid-tech

Alfa Romeo Giulia coupe to pack 641bhp with F1 hybrid tech
    Energy recovery system is tipped to make the coupé Alfa’s most potent road car yet
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    by Richard Bremner
    5 April 2018
    Follow @@autocar
    Alfa Romeo is developing a new Giulia coupé that features a Formula 1-style energy recovery system (ERS), according to Autocar’s sources.

Two powertrains are said to be under development using the system. One is based on the 276bhp 2.0-litre turbo petrol engine used in the Giulia Veloce saloon. The other uses the 2.9-litre turbo petrol V6 of the Giulia Quadrifoglio.

The 2.0 version develops around 345bhp combined, and the 2.9 V6 a mighty 641bhp to create the most potent road- going Alfa Romeo yet, with an output only 20bhp short of the 661bhp Ferrari 488.

Among its potential direct competitors, BMW’s M4 DTM produces 493bhp (454bhp in CS form), the Audi RS5 444bhp and the Mercedes-AMG C63 S Coupé 503bhp.

The Giulia coupé could appear towards the end of this year and go on sale in 2019.

Rumoured in some quarters to be badged Sprint – although GTV would be historically more appropriate – the coupé is derived from the Giulia saloon (pictured below).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The forward set of exterior panels are likely to be carried over, but there will be a new rear roofline, different rear quarter panels and longer doors to ease access to the rear seats. Alfa will likely be keen to provide good rear-seat accommodation. Its previous GT model provided excellent accommodation for a coupé and sold better as a result. A new nose design, to distinguish the coupé from the saloon, is also likely.

The Giulia coupé will probably have a conventional boot, but it’s conceivable that Alfa might develop a five-door hatch version to compete with the Audi A5 Sportback and the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupé, a derivative that would significantly widen its appeal.

A conventional Giulia engine range is also likely to be offered, consisting of the 197bhp and 276bhp 2.0 turbo petrols and the 503bhp Quadrifoglio V6. The 148bhp diesel is also a possibility.

The ERS may well be a development of the HY-KERS set-up developed by Ferrari and Magneti Marelli for the LaFerrari, which, the company claims, is more advanced than the type used in its F1 cars. It is performance rather than economy and emissions oriented, the electric motor’s ample low-end torque complementing the petrol engine’s torque curve, which is fatter at higher revs.

Nevertheless, the ERS powertrains will produce fewer emissions and better fuel consumption than conventional engines of similar outputs. Installation of the system is likely to present Alfa Romeo with quite a packaging challenge. The motor, control systems, inverter and battery pack will all need to be accommodated and there might also be a liquid cooling system to optimise battery performance and durability, as with the LaFerrari.

The launch of these high- performance hybrids should do much to bolster Alfa Romeo’s already improving reputation for competitive hardware, potentially helping to give the brand the kind of technological lead it enjoyed in the 1960s.

TheMayor, Boomhauer, johnei and 2 others like this.
  17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Anyone here have experience with the sport adaptive suspension option on an awd guiulia? Is it worth the cost? Does it make the ride more comfortable or just sportier? Thanks for any advice.

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Top 10 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Global sales:-

1) Italy - 9768
    2) USA - 8904
    3) China - 5597
    4) Germany - 2546
    5) France - 2399
    6) UK - 2221
    7) Switzerland - 1156
    8) Belgium - 1147
    9) Spain - 1033
    10) Austria - 846

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    looking for new dd so test drove awd giulia ti sport today. very good looking in white with red interior. has those gorgeous wheels from the 8c coupe with yellow calipers. interior had the red extra leather package which had nice luxury feel. handled very well. brakes get complaints about the artificial feel of brake by wire but i liked them. very firm with little travel which is what i like. transmission was good too and responded well to paddles. and a good value at 2 yr lease 3.5k down and 600/m with taxes. but the problem is the motor. its the definite weak link. maybe if it had another 2000 rpm it would be good but its a lump.

my comparison is the audi s5 sportback. its about equal in looks but has a way way better motor - v6tt with 360hp. not as nimble feeling as the alfa and more expensive at 3 yr lease instead of 2 with 5k down and 800 per month. also looked into new rs5 sportback but its way too expensive for a nose heavy fwd platform car. available in a beautiful green though.

so handling, value for alfa vs audis motor. what do you guys think?

20. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Realize you are asking a biased crowd... :) but, Alfa all the way, no doubt! ;) You won't see one at every light. With the 280HP and handling of the Ti Sport there is something just so right about the car! Note I have a Giulia Quad as well, and I honestly think that the Ti Sport is the star of the two if you look at the overall package with price, performance, handling, road noise, comfort, etc. particular as a daily driver. Though, the Quad is obviously a ton of fun and addictive.

NEP likes this.
  21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Oh, and we now have 7k miles on our Ti Sport, and not a single issue, if that matters...

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    How is price I got? Taxes included. 2 yrs, 3500 down, 600 month, 10k miles per yr. What do u think I could negotiate down to?

23. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Not sure. We didn't lease ours, and it was back in Nov... I know they were running lease specials for $299/month, but that is obviously not as well-equipped as the one you are looking at, and I don't recall what the down was, and it likely did not include taxes. BTW, the leather covered dash the one you are looking at has (we have it too) is a nice upgrade IMO, the Ti Sport seats with the retro styling (back to the 105s) are really nice, and the wheels are to die for.

24. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Check if they have incentives... We got an additional $2500 off because we owned a competing car (2015 BMW 328d)... though, if I recall correctly incentives were different for purchase and lease.

25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I saw my first QV in the street yesterday in Naperville. That car has so much presence. Really nice. I hope they sell some so i can pick one lightly used one in blue in a year or two. Although they are RWD so that might be a pb.