Need Help Identifying '86 TR Part | FerrariChat

Need Help Identifying '86 TR Part

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ridege55, Jan 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Wondering if any of you can help me identify a part that I think I am missing. The steering column underneath my dash seemed rather unfinished (where you can adjust the height of the steering wheel). I went online and saw some pictures of what I think is the trim piece I am missing. I went to Ferrparts and Recambi to see if I could find the part or diagram. No luck. Do any of you happen to know? Thanks in advance.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    ridege55 likes this.
  3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you Vincenzo, that is a perfect picture of what I am missing! Looks like I don't have the trim left of steering column either.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The photo you posted is a euro version TR or 1985-86 US TR which, I think, only has sort of a leather bag cover under the steering column and no "knee protection" (although I don't see any lower leather cover in the euro SPC figure below). The photo vincenzo posted is a 1987 and later US version TR that has the added substantial "knee protection" bar (item 53) and lower cover (item 8). Neither euro nor US 1985-86 TR have those items.

The two SPC figures:

euro version without knee protection: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1990/dashboard-not-for-us-version.html

1987 and after US version with knee protection: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1990/dashboard-for-us-version.html

Don't have the 1985-86 US TR SPC to compare, and know we had a thread about this before, but maybe lost in the crash? Perhaps another early US TR owner or euro owner will post a pic of the area...

5. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ahhh, got it. I have a 1986 TR so I will search the diagrams for an '86 version for a leather bag cover. Unfortunately my car is in the shop and I can't snap a picture right now.

6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on my 87 there is no bag, only the cover 78
    on your car there is missing the handle 32? or is this handle hide by the leather? can see only a nut

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I can see the nut and the handle. Maybe it's supposed to be that way? It seems rather unfinished looking,

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Maybe, but I can't be sure. "Bag" was just my way to express that whatever was there looked more flexible or "uncertain in shape" than a rigid hard form (as it has to accommodate changing the tilt), but that's a foggy recollection of a thread from ~10 years ago -- and people may have been posting pictures of homemade replacements. In all cases though, my recollection ;) is that the early cover situation did look a little unfinished with a fair bit still exposed.

ridege55 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  10. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    My 85 TR Euro is in the shop right now and 2.5 hour from where I am so I cannot take a pic.
    But I concur to what Steve is saying and you seem to miss part #32 on the diagram.
    I do have the flexible leather sheet under the column and the adjusting lever (#32) on my car.

11. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    My 85 Euro has a leather cover. Checked my parts manual but only shows what ridege posted. I wonder if the 85-86 USA cars had the leather cover too?

12. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  13. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    john hi i have a 86 TR US do you want me to take some photos? let me know.

ridege55 likes this.
  14. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Phil,

If you would not mind I would love to see a couple pictures. I know I am missing some pieces but do not know exactly which ones. A picture of your TR would be tremendously helpful. Thank you!

John

15. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    I will do it this evening.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    here you go it is just a piece of lether with J hooks supported on the black round bar see photos.

Attached Files:

17. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you Phil!! This is very helpful.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    All you need John is imo # 8 !

(added substantial "knee protection" bar (item 53) and lower cover (item 8))