930 Turbo Carrera | Page 306 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Giuliakeka

Giuliakeka Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2013
    Paris
    Thanks, close to mine number 143, delivery 25/6/75 in Ratingen DE (Porsche-Gottfried Schultz).registered one year later 23/5/76.

2. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    1976 Turbo Carrera, 9306800035 on Bring a Trailer.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-930-turbo-carrera-3/

Since it was previously listed on Craigslist (bottom photos), the chrome instrumental bezels were replaced but I don’t understand why they stopped there. Very early 1976 production but unfortunately the air box has been replaced with a 1977+ unit so we won’t be able to discern if it had any unique early features similar to the 930/50’s.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  3. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    Gents I have a 77 3.0 Turbo question: What tires would you get?
    To me it is as much about the look as the performance, I keep my car all original of course. That said Pirelli doesnt seem to have released the Cinturato P7 is 16 inch, which is what I have on my 77 of course.

I currently have Bridgestone Potenza with 205/55 91V front and 225/50 92V rear.

4. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Simon, I've had the same thoughts. I have the same tires on my '77. They are getting on for 5 or 6 years old, and while I don't take it to the track a lot, I anticipate one or two days in the year ahead. Even if Pirelli did re-release the Cinturato in our wheel size, I'm not sure I would want them for spirited driving, although I am basing this on the tread pattern, I'm sure the tire technology is bang up to date.

How will you be using your car? I seem to remember some photos of your car doing a lapping day.

5. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    When 15" P7's became unavailable for my '75 I first tried a set of Michelins and then latterly a set of Toyo Proxes. I can report that the car feels much better on the Toyos than either the Pirelli P7s or the Michelins (and I'm normally a great fan of Michelins).

6. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    This was a bad result..

So we have a poor result on BAT while Scottsdale auctions are very strong.

I don’t think that BAT sets the market. I believe we saw a seller in need need of selling and the BAT platform does not always work to say the least..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. stevie 77 930

stevie 77 930 Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    Woodland Hills CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I really liked the Michelin's Pilot Sport A/S 3 Good balance of looks, handling and decent price.

8. 930

930 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    2 O'clock in the USA
    Simon/Steve,
    I also would appreciate being able to see a set of the original Cinturato P7 205/55 and 225/50 in 16 on my 930. I have attempted to approach Pirelli through their representatives when I see them at events. My hope is that they get the word back to corporate. If enough of us ask maybe they'll hear our requests. :)
    Wondering if part of the reason we see the original style Pirelli Cinturato P7's remade in 15 and not 16 is that Pirelli is still manufacturing their 205/55x16 and 225/50x16 Cinturano P7 V rated HP Summer tires. These new 16 inch P7's have different thread and sidewall than the original design of the '70's. :(

9. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    Does anyone know where I can source the correct Air Box for a MY75? Thank you in advance

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  11. qereti

qereti Rookie

Jan 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    wow! MY75 air box! that is gonna be really really tough, its different from a 76, I have both so I know, sorry, not for sale. but on the plus side, If 278 some MY75 cars were built and the registry is at about 100 cars, of course not every existing car is on that list, but Im sure most of them are on the list. that leaves some 150 plus cars unaccounted for, crashed, burned, etc. etc. attrition. there must be 150 plus MY75 plastic air boxes out in the universe. then subtract half of them for good measure cuz they blew apart from backfires, melted, etc. Oh and not to mention the ones thrown in the trash because they actually are really crappy air boxes, and previous owners replaced with later steel air boxes. so now your down to 75. Yes, you have hope! glass half full! but wait theres more. Anybody that has one to sell you is gonna bend you over really hard and squeeze the cash out of you until your eyes bleed! sorry, but Im just bored today and this thread has become stale

12. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    If you are not afraid of waiting a long time for an answer and to pay extremely high price ... then Freisinger may be able to get you what you are looking for.

In my experience they have still all difficult to get NOS parts, but they are marking them up to very steep level.
    If you want the best in originality without loosing months looking around ...

13. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    I don't think they were crappy air boxes but it may depend on the environment or how a car was cared for. I took mine out last summer and it cleaned up nicely and it's in great original condition...no cracks, no melted plastic, no broken clips...near perfect except for the lack of an early blue air filter.:) I think the air box changed for 930/50's for the 1976 model year; still had the clips but the oil breather line moved to the left rear-side of the housing.

BTW: Does anyone have an original 1975/1976 workshop manual page that shows the proper procedure for removing the air box from the engine? All of my early workshop manuals have updated pages for the 3.3 Liter engine.

14. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    LOL! I know what I am in for but I pretty sure Porsche made extras at the time and someone has them stacked somewhere. Never lose hope.

15. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    Thanks! I will give them a try

16. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    That looks great!

17. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    I hope there are NOS examples still out there but the challenge with the air box is that it changed by Nov ’75 so if you ordered a replacement in 1976, Porsche would have sent you the new version without the clips (the part numbers were likely the same).

NOS parts are very cool when they are unearthed. I would love to see a 3.0 tail, Garrett USA wastegate, and 1975 leather dash pad still in the factory boxes. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    I am driving fast sometimes on a track, but really "tracking the car" would be an exaggeration - I just can drive in a way that is silly and dangerous on open roads. A couple collector types in Estoril this weekend complained how I can track my 3.0. At the same time 991 GT3RS cars and a really nice 74 RSR were tracked, and I still think these cars are made for spirited driving, not showrooms. Race the car? Definitely not. Modify it to be better on the track? For my occasional use not necessary...

I settled for Pirelli´s, and they actually look much better than I thought! They drive great, overall handling and grip was much so better with a fresh pairs of shoes.. the Bridgestones I was running before had a much more contemporary look, and I am much happier with the baloony look now.

19. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    I also wrote Pirelli, lets see if we are heard!

20. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    #7647 rdwinelover, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      104.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
  21. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    What caused the body color over-spray pattern on the pan? It's always interesting to learn these details similar to the smuggler's box over-spray pattern.

22. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    The factory painted the Pan first with a different texture material. It was then attached to the body. Then, the car would be painted with its color code (for example guards red). When the color code was applied to the body, the painter applied color to the rocker panels and overspray would permeate the first few inches of the pan. Voila, overspray in the color code of the car on the Pan.

It’s the same case with the trunk.

Fortunately my restoration shop has a Turbo from every year and many / most / all are original cars. They have been used as guides for restorations. I have learned from them and obviously from here along the way.

I am also a believer that when restoring a car, if the Pan doesn’t need to be sprayed and can be very carefully cleaned, saved and kept original, it is far better than spraying over. I would rather pay far more to save the original Pan then to have it new, non original, fresh and bright. That’s my opinion though as is the shop where my cars have been painted. My gut tells me the majority of restoration shops opt for fresh paint when restoring.

When buying a 930, get on the ground and on your back as one can learn a lot.

23. Turbo75

Turbo75 Rookie

Dec 11, 2017
    France