26805 Restoration Begins | Page 7 | FerrariChat

26805 Restoration Begins

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by wda24729, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    Just to let you know that you are not the only one suffering..... I spend 3 days finding and fixing up leaks as well. It sucks but that's the way it goes.
    These are the parts of a rebuild you don't see on TV

Sent from my SM-A320FL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Managed to sort it. I noticed at the time the timing cover section was a little disrupted from corrosion, so Ive slid the silicone sleeve up slightly and double clamped it. I think half the trouble with this connection is the timing cover section doesn't have a flare on the end to help the pipe seal.

3. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #153 wda24729, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    She's alive!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ive no idea how to upload a video file, but this is her running she sounds fantastic, such a difference from before I rebuilt her.

Just one problem, that aftermarket starter is not fully disengaging and fouling the flywheel when running. I was hoping it would resolve itself but after a few runs, its just getting worse. Very frustrating as it was one of those 'whilst your in there' jobs, not wanting to ever change a starter. Looks like carbs and manifolds off again!

Anyone have any suggestions before I start wrenching? :( I was think maybe wiggling it off and getting a couple of washers between the two faces to try and space it off slightly, but seems a bit c**p!

4. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well I think Ive got to the bottom of the starter problem. Excuse my 5 year old's attempt at editing photographs but comparing the measurements from the mating surfaces to the outside face of the pinion gear in the rest position

Original = 32.3mm
    WOSP = 35.20mm

I think this would account for the fouling :(

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Just found this for anyone thinking about the conversion. They actually specify the correct dimensions on their spec sheet, but I will wait to see what WOSP say before I do anything else. Im just baffled as this is such a fundamental part of the operation

http://www.brise.co.uk/Ferrari-400-Daytona-783209M3AXG.html

6. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    That's no good!

I bought two of these years ago & have been running one for a few years no problems. I just checked the dimensions you listed against my spare one & it's the same as your original dimensions of 32mm.

Sorry to hear yours was not right. :( They are a pain to get to.

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Sorry to hear about Your troubles - aggravating to say the least. That starter is quite expensive compared with others I've seen. Seems like a needless problem on a first class item.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1315/category/219

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-V12-DAYTONA-330-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-STARTER-MOTOR-1-4-MOTORSPORT-LMS029/282687379594?hash=item41d17b188a:g:EYQAAOSw-9xZ203H

8. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    AES are the ones who supply the WOSP, that's who I purchased it from!

Interesting yours is the correct dimension Al ??

The Brise ones are bespoke starters manufactured by themselves, rather than these others which are just standard Denso units, with a mounting plate to suit, or not as in my case!

Anyway, Ive just made up a 2mm shim so fingers crossed!

9. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    The one pictured looks like the CAE one I tried first that didn't fit. Image Unavailable, Please Login

The WOSP ones are a lot different -

10. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well the shim did the trick,although I cant help thinking its all a bit rubbish. I'll be having strong words with them tomorrow as once again you pay others for a service which again turns out to be sub-standard. This is why I like to do most things myself, at least then I can only blame myself.

11. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I know how you feel.

The one in the first picture of the post above cost me a bit of time & money to find it was no good. It wouldn't even fit over the mounting studs as the mounting hole centres were 2mm out. They had oversized the holes to compensate & it still wouldn't go on.

The WOSP one fit beautifully & had heaps more room to get a spanner on the mounting bolts. I have been using it for 4 years now with no issues. If it were me I would send yours back & get a WOSP starter while you have it apart.

12. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Al, confusion prevails in my responses! It is a WOSP starter I have, purchased from AES as I could only purchase through a distributor. AES have been onto WOSP today and should know something tomorrow.

Have to agree the WOSP is a neat little unit and luckily being so compact I was able to wiggle it out between the manifolds, although my muscles are feeling the effects of the task today! I think the worst job was actually getting the nut on the lower nut trying to secure the heat shield in place at the same time. I luckily found a 17mm head nut to make things a little easier.

13. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Just to close this one out. WOSP have sent me the wrong starter...grrrr. I have the one for the 275 would you believe. Looks like another few hours back in the garage again.

14. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Glad you got this sorted.

I love your resto. You certainly are powering through it.

15. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thanks Al. I posted up as it might be a help to others when considering certain aspects of their cars

Ive got my old mate 'Dinosaur Dave' coming out next week to balance up the carbs so don't want to run her too much until this is completed, although Im itching for a test drive!

Im going to sort the interior now, although its in lovely condition with everything working except for the passenger glovebox light, I appear to be missing a third wire on the fitting so that should keep me busy for a while longer!

I want to do a few repairs on my seats but still want to maintain the patina which I think looks lovely. I did my TR seats and although they came out a treat, they would end up looking a bit too new for this one if I did the same.

She will be going into the body shop soon and will record progress there, but they still have my 308 (6 months on), so need that one back first :(

Al Campbell likes this.
  16. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Back to the starter changing question and the lot of taking carbs off. Can the starter be accessed for removal from below by removing the exhaust manifolds only?

17. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Do you mean on the original starter or replacement WOSP?

18. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Read the entire thread, fantastic work!
    Really enjoyed your progress, look forward to more..

19. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #169 wda24729, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Thanks. I'm going to make a start on the seats at the weekend so again will post up my progress. Just glad people are reading it, let alone enjoying it! :)

I did mention earlier in the thread I wasn't overly enjoying it, however the finished result is actually very pleasing and putting it back together was a whole lot easier once I knew how things went together (I think its a condition I have in as far as I need to know how thing work!). Its also given me a new found love of the car and now think it looks fantastic, despite some bodywork issues yet to resolve.

20. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My selector strip was completely worn out and really annoying me, so went about trying to tart it up. Not too bad but the '1' needs a little more straightening, not sure how I didn't notice that when spraying it :(

Or, does anyone know if replacements are available?

21. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    I have been looking for a year or so, nothing out there, emailed a breaker in the UK once and asked for the part, it was already gone.
    I do remember Otto had his technician make one up for his car from plastic and a laser cut decal.

Gary

22. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
  23. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes definitely.......perhaps Otto might chirp up :)

Wonder if its worth Verrel getting involved. He could also make us the Unicorn of all 400's, the seat outer hinge cover!

24. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    That cover is same as the Mondials. I've seen it on other italians also but can't remember at present.

25. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    autoepoca.it has parts which look pretty much the same, search for name " Seat side coverings".