4085 330 GT 2+2 at Bonhams $224,400 inc. premium? | FerrariChat

4085 330 GT 2+2 at Bonhams $224,400 inc. premium?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24452/lot/29/?category=results&length=90&page=1

From the description:

Kean Ferrari aficionados will note that this 330 GT 2+2 wears a serial number well below the common digits found on other examples within the family. The reason being is that #4085 was constructed in August of 1962 as the second of two prototype models and subsequently spent the first 2 years of its life at the factory. Consequently, it is believed that this very car was used as Enzo Ferrari's personal car (or perhaps a development mule!) until 1963 when it became the poster car for the model appearing in promotion material. Being a pre-production model, several details delineate this 330 from examples with more recent manufacturing dates. The primary of which being the fuse box placed behind the passenger side fire wall much like on an earlier 250 PF. In addition, the car was finished without air conditioning or power windows.

Seems to me, although many like the two headlamp better, it was a good deal. What was there not to like about this car? But surely if Enzo had used it, they would have known it? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Non original engine won't have helped.

No air conditioning and power windows on a 330 GT 2+2 were not unique to 4085.

3. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    The famous photo of Enzo driving a 330GT is a car with apparently some sort of air conditioning:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, technically speaking all OEM Daytona A/C evaporator units along with entire systems principal components are "aftermarket".
    While most Daytonas appear to have A/C as "standard equipment", some of the very early production examples, probably including 12653, seem to have been made without one.

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Did not know that. Thanks Timo, as always for bringing your continued Daytona scholarship to the boards. It's always fascinating to learn more.

Dave

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Dave. Even after nearly 30 years of working daily on vintage cars (+/-15 on Daytonas) it is a continued education for me too and while at times it can feel frustrating to realize how little one actually knows, I've also found learning more always fascinating.
    Heck, I used think that if I didn't learn at least one new thing on any given day, that day could or should be considered wasted.

readplays likes this.
  8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #8 peterp, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Non-original engine affects value, but still seems like a very good deal for unique car. One minor thing left off the restoration was the black trim covering the weld seams at the bottom of the rocker panels. It's trivially easy to add the trim pieces, but the reason I mention it is because the car would present slightly better if those were in place (true on all 330 GT's, but especially true in white).

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I think this is a really good color combination for this car. I have never been a fan of the double headlight (I think they call it French?) but this really looks cool. Since the engine is not original, heck, let's put a yellow light on the inside, like our GTV.